Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 needs serious audio upgrade. Any ideas?

RS6 needs serious audio upgrade. Any ideas?

Just got an RS6 - whatta fun car!

I used to be in the hifi biz - and I'm not a fan of anything Bose. If there are some audiophiles with RS6 who has gone the distance with an upgrade - I'm all ears. A real tweeter would be nice, but the space in the door where the Bose "tweeter" resides is very small for anything genuinely serious. Any other ideas? I don't mind making holes. (I can always get new door panels).

I know a company called BSW makes upgrades for BMWs - is there a company that does the same for the Audi?

Thanks!

interesting question. Every car in my life that I've owned has had serious audio systems - I generally went with 800 watts and preferred 10" subs. Maybe I'm getting old, but I found the Bose system to be adequate. I wired in a Pioneer AppRadio 2, and after simply tweaking the EQs, crossovers, and reversing the subwoofer polarity, it sounds good enough to me that I can't be bothered to take my usual big system upgrade route.

Because I'm using the stock Bose amplifier, I never really looked at the speakers. They will need to be replaced to go with very high end stuff - I didn't know the tweeter holes were too small. I thought the 200 watt rating for the Bose amp was weak (on paper) but then I learned that Bose speakers are extremely low impedance - something like 0.5 ohms for certain speakers??

In the past year I've only seen one thread on someone who's gone beyond replacing the head unit. It is pretty difficult to do a clean stealth install on this car, but of course if you're an experienced installer anything is possible.

I never really thought Bose car audio was worth a crap, but I gave the system a chance and with the very low noise floor of the RS6, I've grown to like it. Plus that saved a few grand, for which I can apply to upgrades...or just maintenance! :P
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Am I crazy for thinking that some RS6s came with Harmon Kardon speakers??
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    As the great Audi5000cstq once wrote ..."these things have stereos???!?!"

only the A8 or S8
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

There was a very noticeable improvement in the sound when I installed the RNS-E system in place of the stock Symphony 2 unit. And then you also get a bevy of other niceties as well.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Yes.

Actually a surprising about of tuning goes into car stereos but as mentioned sometimes they use inferior equipment. The stereo doesn't bother me but I would like to get an aux in. I wish I could justify the expense of the RNS-E
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

I have a Dension unit that allows aux in plus iPod connectivity into the stock Symphony radio. It's just sitting around; PM if interested!

I bought a $1.99 tape to 3.5mm on eBay. Pop in the tape player and plug in my iPod, sound great IMO!
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

That is actually what I am using but I found the dynamic range to be lacking.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

cassette decks IIRC inherently cannot play back sound in the 15KHz~20KHz range, and I think under 50Hz. There's the missing dynamic range :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Yes.

Actually a surprising about of tuning goes into car stereos but as mentioned sometimes they use inferior equipment. The stereo doesn't bother me but I would like to get an aux in. I wish I could justify the expense of the RNS-E
    I had the same want/need. You don't need the RNS-E I went with:

BlitzSafe AUDI/AUX DMX V.1B
    http://enfigcarstereo.com/audi_ipod.html
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

I bought a $1.99 tape to 3.5mm on eBay. Pop in the tape player and plug in my iPod, sound great IMO!
    Sound quality is terrible that way. If you think that sounds good, this is not the thread for you.
    www.jsmotorcar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justin9212 View Post
    Sound quality is terrible that way. If you think that sounds good, this is not the thread for you.
    Justin, Now that's funny (and dead on.)

Our car stereos should be similar to the A6 and I am sure there are a ton of custom installs for the A6. For my old S4 the only way to get great sound was to gut the bose completely and rewire. I think each of the speakers had their own amps build into them (aka line level to the door) and as mentioned aboved the speakers are such low ohms that normal amps cannot power them.

To be honest even listening through an ipod or other MP3 player really puts me out of this thread. I go crazy at home but not in the car.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin9212 View Post
    Hahaha, the sound is ok I would say, but yes, nowhere near true quality. Been loving the warm weather and windows down, SE exhaust makes beautiful music...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I have only heard the RS6 Bose with an RNS-E head unit, but it sounds surprisingly good to my ears. I had to tear out the Bose of my previous Audi and replace it but this one is not half bad. I don't know how much that has to do with the RNS-E.

Where is everyone running their aux cable through with blitzsafe?
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip

If you're a serious audiophile, and you want good quality audio in your RS6, there's only one way to go - Custom.

Keep your wallet locked up tight and head to your closest Bang & Olufsen center. They'll hook you up with a nice system to go with your RNS-E, but it will cost you.

Enjoy!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)