Thread: Does the solar sunroof also keep the battery charged? Interesting observation....

Does the solar sunroof also keep the battery charged? Interesting observation....

I've always kept the RS6 outside and, with my work travel schedule, have left it sit for weeks at a time without starting it. Never had an issue with starting the car, dead battery, etc.

Just recently I put the car away in the garage since June 11 (20 days) and tried to start it. Battery was dead.

Is this a coincidence or do I have a weak battery that the solar roof has been keeping alive for me?
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

we have solar sunroofs????

i still cant figure out how the hell to get the headlights to come on automatically!?! my 2003 Corolla had auto headlights so i know the RS6 does!?!?!

No battery charging. Just the interior ventilation.

Matches the literature. I've put a Voltmeter on the Battery while the car sat in the Sun and checked it before and after I covered the Sunroof & no difference.
    The Solar sunroof came with the warm weather package (not to be confused with the ROW Hot weather package). The warm weather package consisted of the Solar Sunroof to vent the interior during bright ligh or sun, manual side window shades, and an electric rear window shade, also nice for some privacy.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    we have solar sunroofs????

i still cant figure out how the hell to get the headlights to come on automatically!?! my 2003 Corolla had auto headlights so i know the RS6 does!?!?!
    Solar Roof was optional.

No auto headlights. Yup. $90k, no auto headlights.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I would think auto headlights could be added.. there are photocell switch kits available online.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Solar doesn't charge the battery, just keeps the fans running so the car is that little bit cooler when you get in. You can easily get in an RS6 with a solar roof than one that's been parked next to it in the same heat. You'll find yourself opening the windows and letting the one without cool down before you get in.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

You can get in it, but you can't drive it until the aircon clears the condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Matches the literature. I've put a Voltmeter on the Battery while the car sat in the Sun and checked it before and after I covered the Sunroof & no difference.
    The Solar sunroof came with the warm weather package (not to be confused with the ROW Hot weather package). The warm weather package consisted of the Solar Sunroof to vent the interior during bright ligh or sun, manual side window shades, and an electric rear window shade, also nice for some privacy.
    How do you get the rear window shade to roll up if it is electric? I cant figure it out?

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    ...my 2003 Corolla had auto headlights...
    The RS6 can be set for DRL... but comparing a Corolla to an RS6?!?!?.... pffsstt....
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The rear sunshade for those that have the option has the switch on the far left of the row just above the radio, next to the ESP switch.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I compare my RS6 to my Corolla every day. The RS6 just compares favorably well. How do you set the RS6 for DRL (assuming DRL == Daytime Running Lights)?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    I compare my RS6 to my Corolla every day. The RS6 just compares favorably well. How do you set the RS6 for DRL (assuming DRL == Daytime Running Lights)?
    I hope it is Shakespearian prose:

"Oh lameth Corolla! How do I compareth thee to the greatness of thou RS6?!?! Let me count the ways.... " End of Prose, no comparison...

uh, well I seem to remember that there were some of our great white north folks that had to do some VAGCOM work and possibly some headlight switch work to get it to pass the equivalent of the Canadian D.O.T or N.H.T.S.A..... Perhaps Bigglezworth might be of some assistance????
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

With vagcom and playing with codes you may be able to set the drl to the fogs too. I did it as a test on my 08 gti
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Headlight switch is to the left of the steering wheel, turn once

All the time running would be handy though....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

DRL standard on 2004 CDN models

The Audi's in Canada use the fog lights as their DRL vs. constant use of the Xenon's. Anyone that has imported a 2003 USD release has been required by the RIV to ensure the car is configured to support DRL. I looked in to modifying a setting via VAGCOM, but did not see anything obvious - or even obscure for that matter. In the end I merely included a simple relay and fused line that powers up the fogs when there is 12V output from the fuse panel. 20 minute mod.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    The rear sunshade for those that have the option has the switch on the far left of the row just above the radio, next to the ESP switch.
    I found the button that allows the sunshade to go up. I pressed it and it came up fine and then pressed it again, and it went down with no issues. I then tried it again, it would not go up and all I would hear is a click like it is attempting to go up. I tried readjusting it to see if it was stuck but every position I put it in, it seemed to just make the "click" and not go up. Please help as I am very frustrated and hope this is an easy fix. Thanks!!