Thread: 3M clear bra

3M clear bra

The stuff on the car is spider web cracked and looks horrible. I hear once it's removed there is a sticky residue. Any ideas of what to use? I got a heat gun, just nothing to remove the glue.

Unless you have all the kit and know what you are doing ... take it to a professional to remove.

Are you sure it is actually a 3M product?

Most 3M shops will remove their products for free. 3M is nutty for customer service,my recommendation is to go to a 3M dealer and speak with them.

-bill

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
    Are you sure it is actually a 3M product?

Most 3M shops will remove their products for free. 3M is nutty for customer service,my recommendation is to go to a 3M dealer and speak with them.

-bill
    It's a 3m product according to my cousin who is in Afgahnistan. I'm trying to make his car go again. I will search and see is I can find a 3m dealer local. I wouldn't mind having it redone. The entire front end is coated, halfway up the doors both sides, all the way back and is on the rear bumper. Top is in front Of sunroof. There is very little of the beast that doesn't have the sticker. It's been outside in Arizona so it's done it's job. But it has the mad max look now.

I've heard using a steamer is the best way.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    It's a 3m product according to my cousin who is in Afgahnistan. I'm trying to make his car go again. I will search and see is I can find a 3m dealer local. I wouldn't mind having it redone. The entire front end is coated, halfway up the doors both sides, all the way back and is on the rear bumper. Top is in front Of sunroof. There is very little of the beast that doesn't have the sticker. It's been outside in Arizona so it's done it's job. But it has the mad max look now.

Update your location in your profile so we can try and help locally.

With that much coverage, i'd definitely try and get yourself some professional help removing it, or at least really read up on it. The potential for paint damage is pretty significant with that much to pull off.

-bill

'Denatured alcohol' will take off the sticky residue as well. A few bucks for a can of it at Home Depot. 3M makes their own gummy residue remover but it's essentially the same stuff with their name on the can

Removing it by peeling off won't ruin your paint (clearcoat is what is over the paint and it won't hurt that either if you are careful) , but you'll have to machine polish the clearcoat to bring back the finish.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Removing old clear bra is easy as pie and if removed properly there will be little to no glue left on the panel.

Warm the panel in the sun.

Peel back a corner.

Now pull that corner away from the panel at 10 degrees. Pull so the material stretches and it will release.

Do not fold the material over on itself and try to open it like a beer can. You pull it to stretch the material.

Done

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    'Denatured alcohol.....
    Do not use denatured alcohol, it can easily damage paint if on too long. Go to any automotive paint store, or body shop. USE an eraser wheel. I will say it again, USE AN ERASER WHEEL. This will take it right or with a drill for power at low speeds. I have done this many times and used many different ideas of the years, nothing works better.
    www.jsmotorcar.com