Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: definitive tire, wheel, and offset thread

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    Does anyone have data points re: running a staggered set of 19x9 ET24 front and 19x9 ET19 rear? Is it possible & if yes do fenders need to be rolled?

Can anyone chime in on this question? Thanks in advance, have my eye on a set of wheels I've wanted for quite sometime....
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by travish325 View Post
    Can anyone confirm 285/35/19 will fit on the rear with 19x9.5 et33 wheels?
    Well I guess we'll find out soon.... I have 285/30s on the way for these 19x9.5s.

Running these in the rear will give me a 3mm sidewall difference than in the front. Does anyone think that's going to be an issue on an AWD car? I know drastic diameter differences can cause issues, however, with this set up I will only have a 6mm total diameter difference.
    RS6: SteveKen 6MT swap, AMD 3+ clutch, Wagners, Hotchkis and Koni Yellows, V701s, Nubcake 100oct tune, 3in catless exhaust

Ask your differential every time your running at highway speeds.

I tried the exact same fitment and it was a decisive no-go on the front. It might have cleared the rear - can't remember. Tried the Pirelli P-Corsa's (60 treadwear!)- VERY wide for the size, made my 275's look like 255's. Sure would have been fun...

Tire pressure will likely make a bigger difference on the rolling diameter than the width increase. If the front tires are smaller will increase the effect due to heavy front end. The center diff might work a bit more than it's designed to, but have yet to hear of any related failures. Change that oil- frequently.

I run a square setup to keep things even as possible and for better handling.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    I tried the exact same fitment and it was a decisive no-go on the front. It might have cleared the rear - can't remember. Tried the Pirelli P-Corsa's (60 treadwear!)- VERY wide for the size, made my 275's look like 255's. Sure would have been fun...

Tire pressure will likely make a bigger difference on the rolling diameter than the width increase. If the front tires are smaller will increase the effect due to heavy front end. The center diff might work a bit more than it's designed to, but have yet to hear of any related failures. Change that oil- frequently.

I run a square setup to keep things even as possible and for better handling.
    So I'll have 255/35 in the front and 285/30 in back. Therefore, the fronts will be a total of 7mm taller. I'm thinking a little more air in the back should even things out. I'd love to run 295s, as that would make front and rear diameters even, but I don't think 295s will fit. I could also go down to a 245 up front and have even diameter that way.
    RS6: SteveKen 6MT swap, AMD 3+ clutch, Wagners, Hotchkis and Koni Yellows, V701s, Nubcake 100oct tune, 3in catless exhaust

295s will fit with a bit of fender rolling.
    7mm difference is significant, your diff won't like it.
    Also, I warn you once again - it'll handle awfully.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    295s will fit with a bit of fender rolling.
    7mm difference is significant, your diff won't like it.
    Also, I warn you once again - it'll handle awfully.
    But will 295s fit on 9.5 wheel? I haven't seen a lot of positivity there

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    That's amazing, like to see those 315's!
    275/35/18 front
    315/30/18 rear

VERY tight.
    Rubs all the time.
    Rear fenders are slightly rolled. No space on the inside, don't try to repeat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160505-WA0066.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	18587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160506-WA0031.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	18588

Quote Originally Posted by travish325 View Post
    But will 295s fit on 9.5 wheel? I haven't seen a lot of positivity there
    That's another question. I wouldn't try that.
    Mine are 10 and 11 wide.
    I'd just get a square 275/30/19 if I was you.

EDIT: edited a better fitting size.

That's another question. I wouldn't try that.
    Mine are 10 and 11 wide.
    I'd just get a square 275/30/19 if I was you.

EDIT: edited a better fitting size.
    Interesting. I'm not tracking the car or anything just driving on weekends, so handling isn't too much of a concern. That being said I think I'll try this staggered setup until I get a set of 9.5s for the front, and then try a 285 square setup.

But now you have me worried... Is a 1.2% difference in diameter really going to cause issues? I've heard within 3-4% of diameter on a Quattro is ok.

Likely won't manifest itself instantly. And manual transmissions are cheap enough.

Edit:

Disregard. I have 255s on these 8.5 wheels now. Just gonna run the 9.5s in the rear with 255s for the time being.
    Last edited by travish325; July 13th, 2018 at 17:21.

Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Not sure that this is helpful, but my Volk GR V2's were 19x9.5 and had a ET29. 19 might be a bit aggressive?
    2013 Audi S8

19x9 ET24 on the outside is pretty much equal to 19x9.5 ET29 (actually 1mm deeper into the wheel well).
    19x9 ET19 will stick out 5mm further.

Avoid staggered setups, they will make the car handle horribly. If anything, only good for looks.
    Most of the weight is in the front, so with square setup it's nice and balanced. You put more meat in the rear - it starts to understeer in the utterly disgusting fashion.

19x9 ET24 on the outside is pretty much equal to 19x9.5 ET29 (actually 1mm deeper into the wheel well).
    19x9 ET19 will stick out 5mm further.
    Thank you for this information very helpful, it's a tough decision these are my dream HRE wheels for the beast & they are priced very reasonably for HRE's, however I currently run a square setup (OEM RS4) which fit great & square seems to be the preferred SOP for these beasts so I am deliberating if the understeeer is a worthwhile tradeoff for the look of running these staggered HRE's (if they were only a square set up. In any case thank you for educating me further via your helpful post

5mm difference in offset won't be much of a problem IMO (as long as they fit in the wheel well) and as long as you put identical tires on them.

In the original "anti-staggered" post I was advocating against different sized tires front/rear.