Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: definitive tire, wheel, and offset thread

Looks sharp even from afar. Too bad the file size here is so small (admin?).

That's light, very. And even certainly lighter than even what Forgestar had told me. Had been talking about 18x9" also for an RS6. Nine inch is a better width for a 255, at least for handling. Audi runs the narrowest tire to wheel ratio of nearly any euro manufacturer. Some tire companies won't sell the wide width of tire needed unless it's specified for a specific Audi (A6 4.2 with sport pkg is one).

Nice with Forgestar is the custom machined off-set per request, or to match OE spec. No spacers. Downside is 4-6 wks lead time to make them. Upside is they are USA forged and reasonably priced from the right source. With my factory direct wholesale connection, also intend to get a set. Likely some wide 18's for hard driving. But then again, when switching back to the stock wheels, they seem to roll heavy and thump, even shudder on certain bumps (with Michelin AS-3's no less). It's not "bad", but annoying at first. The summer wheels are 7lbs lighter, making for a noticeable difference in how they role and ride. Why Audi used such heavy wheels on the RS6 may just boil down to a cost issue...

Dealing with aftermarket lugbolts, with spacers, is usually a bit tricky and a compromise. Better for bolts to be too long than short. There is plenty of room past the hub flanges.

If memory serves 27-28mm is stock, add thickness of spacers, factor in wheel hub thickness (it may vary with custom wheels; offsets). Mine comes out to like 38mm, and use 40mm bolts, with 10mm spacers. FYI- if using exact length bolts, closely . inspect the first 1-2 threads. Most import bolts (in general) have or can have a pronounced taper, reducing thread engagement. It's recommended to check for actual engagement (rotations, something like 7 to equal 10mm).

Quite interested to hear how the wheels effect driving dynamics.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

So I feel like I can feel that the wheels are a little too inward without the spacers but who knows, call it confirmation bias.

I just ordered the longer lugs so I'll have pics with spacers by next weekend.

As far as the lightness, I could feel the reaction difference, I have done this with many cars (i.e. really lightweighted the wheels) and I can always feel the difference. The car just seems like it reacts a little quicker off the line.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

I did read this thread... most of it... so please don't yell at me.

My wheels = RS4 19x9 ET 29, car is all stock DRC height etc.

I am about to buy some 265/35s.... should fit right? I calc. that compared to stock offset is only 1 less and treadwidth aprx. 1" bigger and outter diam. aprx. .3" bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by CBeau View Post

I am about to buy some 265/35s.... should fit right? I calc. that compared to stock offset is only 1 less and treadwidth aprx. 1" bigger and outter diam. aprx. .3" bigger.
    255/35 is a closer match to stock rolling diameter, but 265/35/19 only throws speedo off by 1%. Without spacers the inner lip of the rim is ~1/4" closer to the suspension. You're gaining about 4% treadwidth (~.4" wider tread) going from 255 to 265 width. Sounds like not much, but every size up is that much more meat on the asphalt. To answer the un-asked question, the next size that has a close match to stock is 295/30/19, ~1/4% off undersize, or 305/30/19 ~2/3% off oversize.

Not sure where you're from since you don't have the location in your profile, but if you're anywhere snowy then the reverse side of this is: the wider the tire, the wider the crush pattern. Your car won't sink as far into snowpack. Same goes for rainy weather - the wider the tires, the more surface area to weight ratio, the more you'll tend towards hydroplaning unless you have good grooves to push the water out and away from your tread.

A good rule of thumb with these cars - 3 horsepower per millimeter of treadwidth before you start losing traction in a straight line. So, unless you're making over 750WHP, going wider than 255 just means you're spending more on tires. All that goes out the window when you're talking twisties / road course / track driving, in which case go with the widest rears you can find and stock or stock ++ in the fronts to keep traction through the corners.

265/35/19 should fit fine, you may want spacers (5mm should be fine) to keep the stock wide stance, and if you've got suspension goodies (lowered on Koni's?), there's a slight chance you'll need to roll your fender wells and/or trim the bolt head that pokes through into the wheel well from the engine bay area.

HTH
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I got the longer bolts this week, they didn't come in black, so I need to paint the tops before I put them on this weekend. But I'll throw pics up after at a down the car angle, showing 8.5" 35 et. with and without 8 mm spacers.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.

I can't believe the MFers don't fit on front. I think it may just be that nub people talk about filing down. Anybody got a picture of that, esp. one filed down?

I don't think its too tall although kinda close to the upper control arms. I can get 3mm or 5mm spacers in addition to filing nub, but I don't just want to put spacers on front and I'm afraid if put on back too it might push out to rub fender lip. Also at full lock seems like might rub liner some. Advice??

Quote Originally Posted by CBeau View Post

Pics of the wheels done right, one just before I put the spacers on, sorry have some tension on the jack so it is not perfect but it was 90 degrees out so I needed to move fast so I didn't want to take two seconds to drop the car back down and pick my phone back up, (2) same side w/spacers (3) other side w spacers and (4) a trip to costco after spacers were done. I punched the bolts through cardboard so just the head was visible and then sprayed them with the flat black krylon i have used before, it didn't stick well but i was gentle putting the bolts on, making sure they were seated on socket, not much flaked off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6 down side no 8mm shrunk.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	16592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6 down side w 8mm shrunk.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	16593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6 down side w 8mm two shrunk.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	16594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	costco w spacers shrunk.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	16595

Here is your little nub friend....http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...-documentation

Use "site:rs6.com inner tire rub" to search for future reference. The links from Google always load adult friend finder first, just go back, then click link again and it works...sure they are nice girls though.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

thinking of getting a set of Hartmanns for winter wheels (http://hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels). Center bore is 66mm, reading that OEM broder is 57.1mm... is some adaptor required? Or does anyone have a set of OEM wheels for sale so I don't need to bother with adapters (just seems odd they are selling these as bolt on when you would need adapters).
    RS6 904747 | Daytona - Black | 10SecTune | Milltek Cat Back | Gutt'd DPs | trans tune | OEM RS4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by urs6ville View Post
    thinking of getting a set of Hartmanns for winter wheels (http://hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels). Center bore is 66mm, reading that OEM broder is 57.1mm... is some adaptor required? Or does anyone have a set of OEM wheels for sale so I don't need to bother with adapters (just seems odd they are selling these as bolt on when you would need adapters).
    Yes, you will need an adapter for those wheels, or they will vibrate like crazy and probably toast your wheel bearings.

57.1mm to 66.6mm adapters have been discussed a couple of times here, and can be had pretty cheap. I think the common name for them is "hub centering rings" - don't bother with plastic, go for milled alu or 4041 stainless.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Anyone put 21" on C5?
    RS6-03: Milltek, ModTurbos, WagnerIC, Mtm 380, PSS9, Rs6 9,5x21", OZ 10x19", Hotchkis...
    RS2-94: Stroker 2,5L, Precision, CatCam, JE, Tial, Nira, H&R, MTM 8,5x18"...

There was a guy in San Diego that had S8 21" chrome 9 spoke rims on his C5 RS6.

Unsure of the quality of the ride on 21"s as I have ridden/driven an RS6 with 20" and it wasn't so good.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yes it wouldnt be a nice ride, just for show.

I have a god deal for a set of oem Rs6 9,5x21 et25.
    With 255/30 they will be 3,8% bigger then 255/35 19.
    I probably need to raise the car a little...
    RS6-03: Milltek, ModTurbos, WagnerIC, Mtm 380, PSS9, Rs6 9,5x21", OZ 10x19", Hotchkis...

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Yes it wouldnt be a nice ride, just for show.

I have a god deal for a set of oem Rs6 9,5x21 et25.
    With 255/30 they will be 3,8% bigger then 255/35 19.
    I probably need to raise the car a little...

Matching tire size would be 255/25/21

Will be very harsh, you've been warned! Also, see other threads about fitment of 9.5" wide wheels, you're going to need to grind the casting nub on the upright and probably add some spacers - 19x9,5 et25 is 9mm closer to the strut than stock, grab some 10mm spacer/adapters since the newer RS6 wheels will have a 66.6mm hub bore.

O_E

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Matching tire size would be 255/25/21

Will be very harsh, you've been warned! Also, see other threads about fitment of 9.5" wide wheels, you're going to need to grind the casting nub on the upright and probably add some spacers - 19x9,5 et25 is 9mm closer to the strut than stock, grab some 10mm spacer/adapters since the newer RS6 wheels will have a 66.6mm hub bore.

O_E

Yepp!

I have no issues with 10x19, previous owner had these 10,5x20.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	16786

1,5% bigger...

DUNLOP SP SPORT MAXX GT 275/25 R21 92Y

Views:	231 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	16788
    Last edited by Smiler; October 15th, 2015 at 21:35.

Views:	290 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	16811

Gents I reviewed last few pages of postings but I am finding myself somewhat dyslexic with the measurements needed to determine if the wheel & tire set I'm looking at (20X9.5 ET43 255/30/20 ) will make proper fitment on the RS6. I saw O_E's post up page about fitment of 9.5" wide wheels but I'm unsure if that applies here since the ET in the example was 25 and it appears to be ET 43 on set I'm looking at while OEM stuff is in between at ET 30 confused, any advice appreciated thanks in advance as always
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's