Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: race car, camper, what can't the RS6 do??

race car, camper, what can't the RS6 do??

can the RS6 be truly everything? This weekend, the missus and I are putting it to the test.

Over five days we have off, we will go sightseeing in Kentucky. We are camping in the car itself; seats folded down and a thin futon laid down. It is remarkably comfortable, with lots of pillows and whatnot. Laptop power comes from a power inverter and wifi through an iPhone. The sunroof is open, with mosquito netting covering the top, and a sun shade and the 18% tinted windows provides privacy. I must say this is much better than dealing with a tent!

So the car is a long-distance tourer and works as a camper of sorts. But on Tuesday, after touring the Corvette assembly plant, this car will go straight to the dragstrip and possibly on an oval as well. And she got an impromptu race today - cruise control was set at 85, and we were just chatting, when the buzzing of two Lancer Evos and a WRX STI, tuned to the nines, started darting around us. The Better Half says "oh no, you're not going to take them up on...ok, you are, I'm gonna just close my eyes, tell me when you win" :P

The STI nails it from 85-90 when traffic cleared and there was clearly visible open road for about a mile. I can't resist - downshift to 4th and just floor it. It's so effortless in this car, it almost takes away from the experience. But even with his 2 second heat start I'm easily closing the gap. By the time I catch and pass him, we're at 160. I slip in front of him to let him know game over, I won, and slow down. One of the Evos then starts to get into position to have a go, but sadly, I'm only good for such a thing once, and anyways our exit kind of came up sooner than expected

A few years ago when I was heavily into street racing in Korea, I always preferred to start from behind; that way there is no question if I won.

Anyways, the RS6 was challenged on the highway, and won in a flat out race. I'm nestled comfortably in the back of the car now among pillows from home; alcantara and fine leather beats the pants off of a nylon-walled tent! More touring until Tuesday night, and then with a full 1/4 mile, the hope is to run a low 12 pass. I've been told that, with the 1/8 mile trap speeds I've been running, that high 11s are theoretically possible. But I'll be satisfied with anything under 12.5 seconds.

At which point I think I can safely say, as the RS6 has acquitted herself surprisingly well in her class in autocrossing, that this car is truly not only a jack of all trades, but a master of them as well! All that remains is a full track day, most likely at Road Atlanta this summer (it is bitterly disappointing that the Nashville Superspeedway closed this year - the track there with infield is quite good for a local track).
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

^Sounds like a fun trip making memories.

While on kill's- I scored a double kill yesterday. Crusing to golf tournament yesterday at around 80...I sees a White Mustang GT starting to fill up my mirror and I scoots over. He blew by at about 100 and lo and behold- A Blue Mustang GT was directly behind the white one as they were obviously traveling together. My good angel says "let em go"...of Course the mad max angel is screaming in my head "WTF- Get EM!". The right foot suddenly gets possessed- pushes a little gas and pulls up to about the middle of them- then the White Mustang decides to gun it with his brother in tow. I pull away and at about 140 and pulling further away...shut it down, and wave as they Stangs go down...;0
    210K miles rolled

Great write up, I enjoyed that, thanks for posting.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

Great story kismetcapitan!
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

We're nestled in, about to watch a movie on a laptop set in the rear shelf. Totally cozy after a day touring cave country. Tomorrow is water park and car museum day, and then the dragstrip in the evening. The ultimate Swiss army knife car!!

Look forward to seeing what times you get. Drive it like you stole it!
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 5..jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	12650

A real SUV

^Classic
    210K miles rolled

Thanks for the post! Enjoy your trip.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 5..jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	12650

A real SUV
    What, no trailer hitch too.....

Edit; Kismet, great writeup, thanks for the info, sounds fun, especially this highway take downs!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Best thread on the RS. 2 feet of snow, motel room, SUV, Honey badger don't care.

Too funny.......RS6 don't give a sh*t!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

unfortunately, rain shut down the track at Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green KY, where my fiancée and I had spent the day, first at the Corvette facilities, then at an amusement park where we just had a blast riding the rides and cooling down in the water park - a proper vacation. I planned to run with all our stuff in the car, to go along with the theme of tourer/camper/racer all in one. But the sprinkling during tech picked up and the evening runs were cancelled. Damn.

However, on the way out, I did some laps on the oval track. It was very cool to pull kart-like Gs at curve apexes, but as I picked up speed, the front started letting go as I exited each end of the oval. While understeer is frustrating, correcting understeer is intuitive - lay on some brake, and the line tightens.

Autocross this weekend. Debating whether to add the spare tire to help even out weight distribution and reduce understeer - the car has plenty of power such that the added weight won't make that much difference.

a couple pics from the trip~
    before heading out:

Elizabethtown KY (if you've seen the movie 'Elizabethtown'):

the RS6, rigged for sleeper duty:

no drag videos as it was rained out as mentioned, and no video of chasing down the STI...and would I be publicly posting such a thing anyways? :P

We have the same friggen' 'damask' sheets at our house ! LOL

You might have the coolest non-camper camper. Safe travels to you folks....
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Looks great, low, but practically perfect, really like the stock wheels. I'm on my close to stock summer replica's, 1/2" higher or so, looks stout!

I'm happy with the car's stance - it is as low as you can go with 10mm spacers. And after rolling the fenders...no rub at all!!

Aha, I'm out 5mm, I thought those looked a bit further out, nice!