Thread: first ever trip to the dragstrip - mediocre times but great fun!

first ever trip to the dragstrip - mediocre times but great fun!

this was my first time ever on a real drastrip, staging, following the christmas tree, the whole lot. and it was a great learning experience, both for me and the RS6.

when I got to the strip, my latch tongue broke again. So the hood was stuck shut. This was not a good thing, and my runs got slower and slower.

buying some of the Sunoco race fuel available at the track would probably have helped.

I got my 0-60ft ET down to 2.10, and that's good enough for me. I know the launch can be more violent; I've pulled off the duck foot rat a couple times. But I just held the brake and kept the RPMs at 2000, then when it went green, let go of the brake and mashed in the throttle No burnouts - quattro doesn't allow for that, and the sensation taxiing in the staging area was WEIRD - you could feel through the steering wheel the surface. It felt like driving on chewing gum.

ESP cost me 0.3 seconds, and was blinking here and there down the 1/8 mile run. So I turned that off.

My car in sport mode is shifting at 7000rpm, maybe a touch over (indicated). I think I need to short shift at 6000-6500.

Which on my last runs I tried to do, but the paddles would not respond and only shifted at redline. To the car's credit, each shift was nearly imperceptible. I hope that's a good thing! (the 2-3 shift problem I'd been having during the winter was clearly due to cold transmission temps)

I kept feeling I could shave a couple tenths off if the car would just shift when I wanted it to. But in the end, I dialed in 8.80 for the 1/8 mile @ 94mph. Not bad for a 4000lb luxury sedan. It'd be nice to run 8 seconds flat, but I'm not going to try to make up time at the launch - I could probably gain .3~.4 seconds by killing the TC.

I think if they had an award for quietest car, I would have won hands down. SE exhaust is still essentially like a Prius, compared to the open pipe carbureted V8s screaming down the track.

A lot of bikes too; modified Hayabusas going crazy fast. When my 2012 BMW S1000RR arrives, I'll give it a whirl - in WSBK trim (modified ECU, race exhaust), I should run mid sixes.

Lots of friendly folks at Music City Raceway outside of Nashville. Got invited to join a group of people to run a full quarter up in Bowling Green KY, and was told I'd probably do well on a full-length strip as the RS6 was apparently just getting its legs going. I found it interesting how it was a family event; a lot of racers had their wife and kids in tow, or in a couple cases, their husbands - there were some mean looking middle-aged women on lowered Hayabusas in pink leathers. Normally, girls in bike leathers would be hot, but these women looked MEAN. And were wicked fast. Some people ran on pocket bikes and scooters - 17 seconds for the 1/8th. I think Olympic sprinters can get close to that :P

I'd like to run a low 12 in the quarter, and then put an end to the RS6 drag career. The wife kept talking about how much faster I'd be if I had my Skyline...damned import laws! But I should stop mourning my old car. The RS6 is mighty quick for what it is, and for ludicrous speed, I've always felt more comfortable on a bike for some odd reason. And if I really want to go fast, there's always nitrous...
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    I got my 0-60ft ET down to 2.10, and that's good enough for me. ..
    ...But in the end, I dialed in 8.80 for the 1/8 mile @ 94mph. Not bad for a 4000lb luxury sedan. It'd be nice to run 8 seconds flat, but I'm not going to try to make up time at the launch - I could probably gain .3~.4 seconds by killing the TC....I'd like to run a low 12 in the quarter, and then put an end to the RS6 drag career.
    Sounds like you had fun. Interesting combination: 2.1 60 foot isn't great, but 94 mph in the 1/8th is pretty dam* fast, so you must be making some pretty serious HP.

For comparison's sake, here's my best run so far in my STaSIS-tuned S4:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23872-2011-Audi-S4&#4.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	12616

Looks a lot like my timeslip before I did my TC. I have no interest in going back as I prefer to have my transmission live a long healthy life....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.8-109..jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	12619
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Looks a lot like my timeslip before I did my TC. I have no interest in going back as I prefer to have my transmission live a long healthy life....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.8-109..jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	12619
    Did you experience any trans symptoms, or just knowing to be careful?

Kismet, what did that Level 10 cost you? With upgraded trans and TC how much power do you think you can hold?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Did you experience any trans symptoms, or just knowing to be careful?

Kismet, what did that Level 10 cost you? With upgraded trans and TC how much power do you think you can hold?

The CEL came on right before the run (yeah..I ran anyway...waited in line for over an hour..) and I suspect it went into limp mode during the run as it felt weak at the top end and going back to the pits. So I quit for the night and ordered a TC ASAP. I suspect now it would run mid to maybe low 12's at 115ish...
    I lumped up a pulley/tune/gutted cat, E55 the other day..Kind of surprised me as I expected to get pulled...we went from 70-120..had him by 3 cars...

Curious about Level 10 Tranny too...
    2013 Audi S8

FYI- The 517 rebuilt transmission, valve body, and tc are approximatey $5K. Of course there is the shipping cost and labor to pull and replace. They told me they have a RS6 with over 700hp with their transmission that gets beat on regularly. IIRC- It has been on it for approx. 2 years. On the down side- they only warranty it for 6 months. I told 517 they should consider extending their warranty period for such a high $$ item..... ;0
    Last edited by MaxRS6; May 16th, 2012 at 19:21.
    210K miles rolled

my car came with the Level 10 mods. Obviously I can't see it, but I do have the receipt as part of the documentation of the car; the last owner had the work done.

I'll post videos which I just got downloaded. From looking at it, the car is SLOW off the line, almost painfully so, but then things start to get really quick in 3rd gear. I guess my trap speed is why people were telling me my car would post a strong 1/4 mile time.

Also, the lowered stance makes the car surprisingly aggressive looking when staged Got several compliments on my car, which I didn't expect from such a crowd.

Drag racing is tricky...MPH is always relative to ET...to a point. Been drag racing for over 20 years and have tons of time slips that don't make any sense...if you have a very poor start, your ET and MPH can be skewed...as in you have much more "time" to gain MPH. Think of it in opposite terms...you are on what feels like your best pass ever with your RS6...then stomp on the brakes right before the line and run 14.0 at 115...Same thing applies to starting...the clock is always ticking...94mph half track is cranking for a RS6...that would have you trapping almost 120 at the 1/4...with a 120MPH trap speed, that would equate to mid 11's...
    2013 Audi S8

that makes me feel a LOT better; I was beginning to think something was wrong with my car, and I just ran a VAGCOM scan :P

There was a Mustang running turbos and nitrous. He made two passes, but his 2nd gear wasn't working. The launch was hugely dramatic, but he only made it about a 1/3rd down the track before he had to coast the rest of the way. He still trapped a 6.8 for the 1/8th....at 60-something mph :P

fastest run, against a pickup truck. Note the staggered launch lights; his dial in time was slower than mine.
    http://youtu.be/wk6uU6SMSY8

they gave me a solo run. This was in sport mode, no paddle shifting, with ESP on. It slowed me down.
    http://youtu.be/_AyWnNszH3o

Nice, the solo run is great, really nice to see and hear it, sounds excellent!

Second gear has always screamed fast for me, I wonder if it's a tune difference, sure 3rd has a lot of pull....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com