Thread: Pics of stereo

Pics of stereo

Here is my first attempt at adding pictures, so hope it goes well. I put in a Kenwood 9980 HD, 2 pairs of Alpine SPX Pro 6.5" with crossovers, 2 kenwood Ampsand 2 MB Quart 12" Subwoofers that are hidden.
    The most importiant part for me is to make sure that the constant and
    'key on" power sources are directly from the car wiring and not from the exsisting car audio. The Subwoofer power is again a direct power source from you amplifier(s) and not from the BOSE system. The way that I had extra room for the subwoofers way removint the exsisting Audi nav unit and the brackets and the BOSE subwoofer system on the other side. The Amplifiers went in easily and wired them up. If I were to do it over again, I would have placed the crossovers in the doors rather that in the wheel well (and yes, I can still, though barely) get the spare out.
    All in all I would say it sounds about 150% better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067..jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	12603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	072..jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	12604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	070..jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	12605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	069..jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	12606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	073..jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	12607  
    Last edited by formula1man; May 14th, 2012 at 03:45. Reason: Did not post pics 1st time around

1st attempt at pics.......FAIL.....lol
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

It is super easy if you have a photobucket account.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Are the subs just in free air? If so what is the Resonance Frequency? That seems like a terrible idea.
    www.jsmotorcar.com

Is there an enclosure behind the subs? If not, then they're not doing anything except for vibrating.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Is there an enclosure behind the subs? If not, then they're not doing anything except for vibrating.
    True that.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Where is the battery at, looks like the amp is in its place?....yep, gotta make some custom enclosures for the good sound, nice looking deck though!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Where is the battery at, looks like the amp is in its place?....yep, gotta make some custom enclosures for the good sound, nice looking deck though!
    ummmm, where is YOUR battery located?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    ummmm, where is YOUR battery located?
    In the trunk like any reasonable car, next to the W/M tank I was looking at the pic wrong, good catch....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sorry it took a while to get back to you all. I actually had 2 x 12" Alpine Pro series in a nice box that came to about 80lbs, which for me was too much weight. The "free air" seems as though it would only vibrate and sound poor. What is facinating, is that when it is enclosed in the sides (with the side openings closed) it sounds fine with no hideous vibrations. I thought for sure I was going to have to make custom ported enclosures, but there was no need. I know that there will be critics, and as I used to install stereos in the distant past I would have been one as well, but it does seem to work. I will be adding some in-line filters though.

Quote Originally Posted by formula1man View Post
    What is facinating, is that when it is enclosed in the sides (with the side openings closed) it sounds fine with no hideous vibrations.
    Those speakers, as you have them mounted, are not capable of generating any sort of meaningful sound. They may not be rattling any bits of the vehicle, but it's also not adding to the sound output of your audio system. Leave them that way if you'd like but you're not taking advantage of your investment unless you put those speakers into some sort of enclosure.

I think that it is plenty of Bass for me as it does not overpower the rest of the system. I will admit that you are correct that for the most potential it should be in its own enclosure. At some point, time permitting, I will look into creating a mold for this with some high density plastic.

it doesn't look like it would work, but if it is, then it is. Do you have test CDs for bass? I use certain jazz and classical discs to test subwoofer accuracy and stereo separation. But in my current system, I'm just trying to get my Pioneer Appradio to work with the Bose system. I wish I had more options for the crossovers, instead of just 50, 80 and 120 hz. I found today that reversing the phase of the subwoofer output in the settings created a much stronger and tighter bass and pushed the soundstage up onto the dash finally.

still not as crisp as the stock Symphony headunit; more tweaking is required. But in terms of volume, I'm not rattling windows, but with the Audi's very low noise floor, it doesn't have to be very loud to feel like it's loud as hell.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

it doesn't look like it would work, but if it is, then it is. Do you have test CDs for bass? I use certain jazz and classical discs to test subwoofer accuracy and stereo separation. But in my current system, I'm just trying to get my Pioneer Appradio to work with the Bose system. I wish I had more options for the crossovers, instead of just 50, 80 and 120 hz. I found today that reversing the phase of the subwoofer output in the settings created a much stronger and tighter bass and pushed the soundstage up onto the dash finally.

still not as crisp as the stock Symphony headunit; more tweaking is required. But in terms of volume, I'm not rattling windows, but with the Audi's very low noise floor, it doesn't have to be very loud to feel like it's loud as hell.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo