Thread: Has anyone ever investigated JHM lightweight rotors?

Has anyone ever investigated JHM lightweight rotors?

A local fellow is selling a set he bought for his RS4 but has since sold his car. I think they are 365mm like ours. Any compatibility issues or challenge because our cars are heavier ??
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

Additional research reveals that the lightweight rs4 rotors require reuse of factory hats so these shouldnt be a go
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

Not 100% sure but I think BRAV had/has these - not sure if they were ok, better/worse...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I'll wait for his update. I see JHM sell a specific set for the RS6 so these RS4 ones don't seem compatible. Would have been a good deal otherwise.

I have mixed feelings. The rotors seem to have more issues with the EBC reds than stock. Mine ended up having a massive vibration/pad transfer issue. Its hard to say, but I know of several other cases where people had issues with these rotors with certain pads. The vanes are wider, at the expense of thinner walls of the rotors.. the total width is the same as OEM. To me, this means more heat per mass of rotor.. just a matter if the "better cooling" will offset this. The area where the vanes meet the "hat" is much improved over OEM (OEM has a curve in the hat that blocks air entering the vanes directly).

After resurfacing twice and changing pads, they seem to be functioning fine. My cheap posi-quiets will over-temp under 2 or 3 HARD stops from over 100, I would guess this is a pad issue. For a performance setup, it seems inadequate. I will try Hawk pads next..

All I can say is that I had problems with EBC reds and JHMs. Who knows what real quality the JHM rings are compared to OEM.

The rings may be the same, but will require different hats for RS6. In the end, I will be using Phaeton W12 Euro 2 piece rotors, and have them slotted.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I have these rotors as well and when I first got the car I didn't notice any vibration on braking. Now there is a little bit to medium amount of vibration. I have never tried stock brakes (or any others for that matter) so I don't know if these are better or worse.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

well, DAMN it Ryan!!!
    I just took my 2 yr old OEM rotors, with a "snapper" hairs left of meat, to the iron recycler today:

$560 @ genuine
    $5.72 @ recycler (52lb @ $.10/lbs)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If I get bored and audacious, I think I will import several sets of Phaeton rotors soon.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

I know it is pretty removed first-hand knowledge, but I've had really good luck with the Stoptech branded replacement pads on a number of applications. I've had their 332mm BBK on my A4 for 75k, using the Stoptech street performance pads. Before I switched to the BBK, I was running a B5S4 front brake setup with the Stoptech OEM replacements then as well. Aside from that B6A4 application, I've had them on a 2.7 A6 as well. Obviously none of these are a direct comparison to the beast, just food for thought.

I can't remember who it is, but there's a sale that someone's advertising for brake stuff over on AZ.

Can someone explain the reasoning for switching to Phaeton rotors over just replacing with OE rotors?

-bill

They are largier overall diameter (better rotational torque for stopping) and are simply a lot prettier, and NOT drilled.. which I dont like. I Would have them slotted here before install. They are the updated 2 piece design with aluminum hat. Like JHM you should be able to replace just the rings after that.

FWIW I heard good things about the stoptech pads.

Brav, what are the diameters of the Phaeton rotors? I thought they were the same diameter as ours. The OEM plus ad say's they are not directional so that means the vented guide vanes must be radially straight.
    http://www.oemplus.com/floating-brak...w12-p-985.html
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Even though this is a Rotor Topic, its all Brake related. As soon as I can gather up enough money I intend getting a C6 RS6 Big Brake Setup from Grizz over at Unit 20. The Kit come with Massive 390mm Rotors, C6 Calipers and all the necessary mounting hardware. I have heard the Stopping power is phenomenal. Even though this may not be for everyone its the way I am headed. Just passing on the knowledge...................

Oh and check this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIh32Jhpy2w

Last edited by Elevens; April 12th, 2012 at 23:28.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Here is the reply I just got from OEM Plus on the size of the Phaeton rotors, let us know Brav if you know differently.

Hello Mark,
    The front rotors are 364x34 and the rears are 335x22

Best Regards / Schone Grusse, ~Josh
    Roy, WA

so, just to clarify for my noob-ass..

C5 RS6 rotors are two-piece, but the hat is steel?

Re: rotor size... I have to question how much bigger they can be without a caliper relocation bracket.

I completely agree about the drilled v. slotted v. flat. I'd rather have flat than drilled, but that's mostly an aesthetic thing. Slotted is really the only way to go for daily driving in my experience. I replaced my Stoptech rings with some 'we drill our own brembo' rings once and started getting odd noises on warm up and cracking within 6 months. Since then I've used nothing but Stoptech rotors and pads, to good end.

I might be excited about getting this car.

-bill

Sorry, i know I'm a little behind the curve. But, I did just get my title in hand yesterday.

Cast iron rings and an Alumimum hat with Stainless Steel pins going from the Hat to the rotor.
    Roy, WA