Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koni's on, thanks 4.2Crew...

Koni's on, thanks 4.2Crew...

Well, along with other parts, finally got the koni yellow sports on. Lowest perch front and rear, soft all around, and a bit firmer than my drc was at, and much more predictable. The drc had some pressure in the front when pulled and hardly any in the back. Anyhow the ride was very bouncy above 70, not what you want.

Koni impressions; firmer, does rattle the car a bit, even on soft, but very nice on any bump, holds good in the corners when taking at a reasonable speed. Gotta say big thanks for 4.2 for the idea, nobody had mentioned it before, i think. $1k parts and labor, can't beat that, and the new ride height is damn nice.

So ride height details are, two fingers in the back, two point five in the front There is a bit more compression on the passenger side rear, not much, you can see in the pics. Ideas? I'm guessing the perch is a bit worn, more weight there maybe, although the tank sits even.

And hell yes, the car has big time power...as you know...buttoned up ic's with new turbos, damn, bit slow and clunky around a driveway, but a rocket with awd on the road...100 is a breeze....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo..jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	12500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1)..jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	12501
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Well, along with other parts, finally got the koni yellow sports on. Lowest perch front and rear, soft all around, and a bit firmer than my drc was at, and much more predictable. The drc had some pressure in the front when pulled and hardly any in the back. Anyhow the ride was very bouncy above 70, not what you want.

Koni impressions; firmer, does rattle the car a bit, even on soft, but very nice on any bump, holds good in the corners when taking at a reasonable speed. Gotta say big thanks for 4.2 for the idea, nobody had mentioned it before, i think. $1k parts and labor, can't beat that, and the new ride height is damn nice.

So ride height details are, two fingers in the back, two point five in the front There is a bit more compression on the passenger side rear, not much, you can see in the pics. Ideas? I'm guessing the perch is a bit worn, more weight there maybe, although the tank sits even.

And hell yes, the car has big time power...as you know...buttoned up ic's with new turbos, damn, bit slow and clunky around a driveway, but a rocket with awd on the road...100 is a breeze....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo..jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	12500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1)..jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	12501
    Look'n good!... Glad it all worked out for you! For what it's worth, my Konis seem to be softening slightly over time---not sure if they are wearing-in or if it's the warmer weather in MN?

Are you set at full soft rebound front and rear? I agree, the ride is slightly firmer, but in a more compliant and sure-footed in planted way... If that makes any sense.

Another observation: After living with the Koni set-up, the Koni's seem to assist/compliment the stock sways (especially the rear) more than the DRC.... I will likely upgrade to H-sways at some point, but do not feel the same urgency with the Konis. Far less roll in the slalomn compared to the DRC.

Side note:

Went to Cars and Coffee yesterday morning.... A free drive-in attendence auto enthusist gathering in a private custom garage communtiy----cars AND garages were equally impressive! Met Kevin, the owner of Imola Motorsports. Very nice guy! Seems he has a great deal of talent and knowledge in his shop. Spent very little time in "Audi Lane".... "Interesting" close-knit group.... Spent more time in the muscle car and VW area????
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Are those stock springs, iswing?

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post

Side note:

Went to Cars and Coffee yesterday morning.... A free drive-in attendence auto enthusist gathering in a private custom garage communtiy----cars AND garages were equally impressive! Met Kevin, the owner of Imola Motorsports. Very nice guy! Seems he has a great deal of talent and knowledge in his shop. Spent very little time in "Audi Lane".... "Interesting" close-knit group.... Spent more time in the muscle car and VW area????
    When I go to C&C it's the same thing. Was that moron with the pimped out c6 a5 there, and his corn Cobb signal lights? I'm sure some of the guys are great, but some of them I would rather not be associated with.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Stock springs, yes. Took my mechanic 7 hours to remove and replace, align. Any thoughts on why the passenger rear is a bit lower? Are there perches on the back that could be worn? More weight?

As always tough do describe ride particulars. It's a bit firmer, but overall is working MUCH better. I feel small bumps, but the response is better and doesn't seem to have the hollow chattering the drc did. On a few twisties the body holds nice and even, does not dive as much. It does make a few new rattles that I have to sort out, or turn up the stereo Also noted that these will soften up a bit over time as mentioned my many users, will have to see how quickly that occurs with the heavy car.

The biggest thing for me is not having the high speed pogo stick effect. The drc was dangerous above 60 when hitting bumps or dips, the car would just rebound back up. So I don't think the compression was the worst on the drc, the rebound was really off.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    When I go to C&C it's the same thing. Was that moron with the pimped out c6 a5 there, and his corn Cobb signal lights? I'm sure some of the guys are great, but some of them I would rather not be associated with.
    Ahhh... Yes he was!... WTF?

I arrived around 7:20am. The "Grand Master" for parking in Audi Lane was "reserving" spots.... He pushed me down to the very end. The two vehicle that cozy'd in next to him had f*ck'n primer'd spots!... Whatever. Reminded me of what I thought was really important in Junior High!...

Next time I may park next to the guy with the super charged Ford Lightening with 900hp @ the RW... He also gave me a couple bumps of Baileys .
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

I wonder when that asshat shows up in the morning. I'd like to show up earlier one day and park right where he does.

Guys like that make Audi owners look stupid.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

if those are stock springs, my H&R springs just might be too low. I have all the parts now; just need to get around to installing them.

If you found the softest setting to be firmer than the stock DRC (although with that bounciness, I think your system was out of whack - mine never gets unsettled), the firmest should be just to my taste, to go along with my Hotchkis sways.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Yep, sounds like you like that firmer ride so guessing you'll be good. My drc was out of whack for sure...

Ride height is great on the stock springs, very responsive too!

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    if those are stock springs, my H&R springs just might be too low. I have all the parts now; just need to get around to installing them.

If you found the softest setting to be firmer than the stock DRC (although with that bounciness, I think your system was out of whack - mine never gets unsettled), the firmest should be just to my taste, to go along with my Hotchkis sways.
    Remember though, that he is on the lowest perches front and rear. You should be fine on the middle or top ones...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Remember though, that he is on the lowest perches front and rear. You should be fine on the middle or top ones...
    Just to clarify: The Koni Yellow Sports have only one perch location on the fronts.... The rears have two---spaced approximately 3/8' apart....

However, you could easily add additional custom perch heights by:

1) Using a lathe to cut new grooves.

2) Buying adjustable perches (Same as the 2Bennet coilover set-up.)

^ Ha! Sounds like a girl I use to know....
    Definitely like this, keep us posted on the "wear-in".

Matt
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Just to clarify: The Koni Yellow Sports have only one perch location on the fronts.... The rears have two---spaced approximately 3/8' apart....

However, you could easily add additional custom perch heights by:

1) Using a lathe to cut new grooves.

2) Buying adjustable perches (Same as the 2Bennet coilover set-up.)
    Wouldn't it be single perch option for the front, and three for the back, counting the lowest level? Best I can remember at least...

Riding good, really getting used to the car gliding over bumps and holding steady, amazing!

Yep, will check the height every month or so, see if it settles out...

Wouldn't it be single perch option for the front, and three for the back, counting the lowest level? Best I can remember at least...

Riding good, really getting used to the car gliding over bumps and holding steady, amazing!

Yep, will check the height every month or so, see if it settles out...
    Maybe?... I just checked an earlier post of mine... And, indeed, I did say 3 perch positions for the rear!

Well, there is at least two, and at most three!

Sorry for any confusion!~

Not a worry, yep, I'm sitting lowest perch on front and rear, sits about 1/4" or so lower in the back. Two back perches above the one I'm on...thanks again for the idea!

I'm scheduled to have my H&R springs/Konis installed next week.

Any link to these adjustable perches? I'm concerned about the H&Rs lowering my front too much. Because of my wheel spacers, fender clearance may become an issue.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

The front perches are not adjustable, it's just one slot. The back has three slots. It's basically a groove cut in the metal, then an o-ring shaped metal piece sets in the groove to support the spring. Sound good? Yea, I could go a half inch lower in the front at the most...what is the spring difference? The back you could use the higher perches to compensate for the shorter spring.

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    I'm scheduled to have my H&R springs/Konis installed next week.

Any link to these adjustable perches? I'm concerned about the H&Rs lowering my front too much. Because of my wheel spacers, fender clearance may become an issue.
    No, I do not have a link for the perches.... Only know they exist because 2Bennet installs them on their coilover kit..... Good Luck!