Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Keys and fobs

RS6 Keys and fobs

OEM keys are:
    2 master keys
    1 valet key
    1 spare credit card style key

I have the master keys but nothing else.

Can someone explain the other keys?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The other keys are a very small headed all plastic black key and a standard issue old school metal key with black plastic shroud on the top.

The valet key opens the doors and starts the car. It does not operate the central locking system so it cannot open the gas tank, doesn't unlock the rear seats, and doesn't open the trunk. That way you can stow valuables in their when you are using valet mode or leaving your vehicle at the dealer. The small plastic key is the master to which you can get additional keys cut. The plastic fob you see in the photo below is merely the serial number of the car to which the keys belong to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2935..jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	12493
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    The valet key opens the doors and starts the car. It does not operate the central locking system so it cannot open the gas tank, doesn't unlock the rear seats, and doesn't open the trunk. That way you can stow valuables in their when you are using valet mode or leaving your vehicle at the dealer. The small plastic key is the master to which you can get additional keys cut. The plastic fob you see in the photo below is merely the serial number of the car to which the keys belong to.

Name:	CIMG2935..jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	12493
    Can one order a valet set and have it coded for the immobilizer?
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I don't see why not. It would be my appreciation that you would need to provide the serial number and proof of ownership.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I found the part number:
    8L0837185AINB = $52 @ genuine but provide a VIN for proper coding?

Ben, I'm glad you started this thread as my key situation (being that I got 1 master, period) is on my 'to sort out' list. It was well used so I picked up a shell 'kit' off of eBay and transfered the electronics. I definitely need to pick up another master but of course the dealer wants a kings ransom for one (plus $ to code and cut it). Any thoughts on a good source for a new master and getting it coded/cut reasonably (or maybe that's a dealer only proposition because of the immobilizer)?
    Last edited by Tom Sawyer; April 7th, 2012 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Ben, I'm glad you started this thread as my key situation (being that I got 1 master, period) is on my 'to sort out' list. It was well used so I picked up a shell 'kit' off of eBay and transfered the electronics. I definitely need to pick up another master but of course the dealer wants a kings ransom for one (plus $ to code and cut it). Any thoughts on a good source for a new master and getting it coded/cut reasonably (or maybe that's a dealer only proposition because of the immobilizer)?
    Although I have never had any requirement to do so, I believe you might be able to link a new master remote yourself. Refer to pages #63 through #67 for all information pertaining to the keys.

T.

Name:	CIMG2940..jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	12496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2941..jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	12495

Although I have never had any requirement to do so, I believe you might be able to link a new master remote yourself. Refer to pages #63 through #67 for all information pertaining to the keys.

T.

Name:	CIMG2940..jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	12496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2941..jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	12495
    That does look promising, didn't think to just look in the manual (RTFM, right?!?) The thing that concerns me is the Immobilizer chip, for some reason it seems that was something that required a 'deeper coding' so to speak from what I remember needing a key for my B6 S4 years ago.

Anyone have a sec to pop off the key flip portion from the remote and post the part number? When I transfered the electronics from my worn shell to the new one, I didn't think to note the OEM part number and of course the new shell has no part number on it. I'm hoping to at least save a few bucks buy buying the new blank fob off the Internet (dealer wants $200 + $100 for cutting/coding).

That does look promising, didn't think to just look in the manual (RTFM, right?!?) The thing that concerns me is the Immobilizer chip, for some reason it seems that was something that required a 'deeper coding' so to speak from what I remember needing a key for my B6 S4 years ago.

Anyone have a sec to pop off the key flip portion from the remote and post the part number? When I transfered the electronics from my worn shell to the new one, I didn't think to note the OEM part number and of course the new shell has no part number on it. I'm hoping to at least save a few bucks buy buying the new blank fob off the Internet (dealer wants $200 + $100 for cutting/coding).
    Kev,

From ETKA 7.1 on page 837-10:
    4D0837246BINB = Main Key with Code Changer transponder - submit VIN when ordering
    4D0837231M01C = Remote Control transmitter for central locking system - 3 button

There IS another Main Key listed but it has a light in it and I haven't heard of anyone having a light in their keys...
    I would double check the part numbers on Genuine and email them or whomever you choose to order from, confirming these will work in RS6.
    ETKA has them listed, and I haven't found it to be incorrect yet...

I have wanted to do this for a while- my shell is a little beat up. Which did you Order?
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Can you still use the open trunk button next to the drivers seat while using the valet key?

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillHouse View Post
    I have wanted to do this for a while- my shell is a little beat up. Which did you Order?
    Here is the one I bought:

Audi Key Fob Case/Blade

Everything was pretty straightforward, I ended up 'reusing' the plastic portion of the original fob that contained the immobilizer chip (since I only have one I couldn't risk destroying that chip). The board is a PITA to get out, ended up trashing the old housing to make sure I didn't damage the board. All in all the quality is pretty good though I think these are reproductions and not oem audi parts but it sure looks worlds better than how it looked before.

This how-to helped even though it is for VW: Smart Key FAQ

Ben, thanks for the part numbers... sorry to hijack the thread a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    Can you still use the open trunk button next to the drivers seat while using the valet key?
    I am of the understanding NO. The function of the valet key is as follows:

With the "smart key" or the main key in the ignition, depress the valet button. Now when the valet attendant/dealer takes your "valet" key - they will not be able to open the glove box, fuel filler flap, or the trunk. The valet key doesn't even fit into the rear seat locks because of the offset on the side cuts.

Oh, and I could be mistaken, but it's also my appreciation that various 'tunes' include an update to the Valet Mode in which the ECU limits RPMs and power output. That way the valet/tech can't pull a Ferris Bueller with your car while it's in being serviced. I have no knowledge of whether or not the OEM specs for the ECU perform this function or not.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; April 7th, 2012 at 21:03.

I am of the understanding NO. The function of the valet key is as follows:

With the "smart key" or the main key in the ignition, depress the valet button. Now when the valet attendant/dealer takes your "valet" key - they will not be able to open the glove box, fuel filler flap, or the trunk. The valet key doesn't even fit into the rear seat locks because of the offset on the side cuts.

Oh, and I could be mistaken, but it's also my appreciation that various 'tunes' include an update to the Valet Mode in which the ECU limits RPMs and power output. That way the valet/tech can't pull a Ferris Bueller with your car while it's in being serviced. I have no knowledge of whether or not the OEM specs for the ECU perform this function or not.
    Where is that?!?!?

The valet key doesn't even fit into the rear seat locks because of the offset on the side cuts.
    And what are these? Seems as if the Valet can get into the car, then the trunk could still be accessed via the flip down rear seats - unless the rear seats are lockable?
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Quote Originally Posted by NSU RS6 View Post
    And what are these? Seems as if the Valet can get into the car, then the trunk could still be accessed via the flip down rear seats - unless the rear seats are lockable?
    Correct. Refer to pages #94 and #95 of the owners manual.

RTFM. Might just have to do that one of these days! Also the RNS-E manual!
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"