ID:	12482

4 post lift with the front end hanging off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0092..jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	12483

Seems to supply access to all the important parts

Planning on dropping the motor/trans with the subframe...tell me what I'm screwing up, before I screw it up!

Not sure how you are going to get the engine out that way?
    2013 Audi S8

Drop the motor down...and slide it out the front. Seems to get all the access to the subframe bolts. Concerned about the lift capacity, that and the the whole car falling off the lift due to the 58/42 weight distribution. I think I'll be ok....not something that I like to hear in my line of work.

Are you planning to separate the engine and transmission? It looks like that lift has a cross member right under the bell housing area? May have to remove the whole nose and come partially out the front? K frame comes out with the engine...unless you are planning to support it with a transverse bar, then lower it down onto your table or floor or wherever...
    2013 Audi S8

I'm thinking that the k frame? comes out right in front front of the wheels. THe lift does have a cross bar there but it is a 2x4 pice that I think I can work around. No way I see to get the tranny out any other way. Ordered the tranny rebuild kit and valve body rebuild kit. Contemplating the Sonnax VB kit before I do any of this.

You will have to lower the engine onto something and unbolt the K frame and raise the car UP off the engine. Maybe the picture isn't clear, but this crossmember seems to be in the way of this?
    2013 Audi S8

Yes, cross member does come across the tranny, but I have a hoist and hoping to bring it out the front. Gravel driveway and all, ughh.

I have a 4 point lift in my garage and there is NO way I would contemplate using it to lift the car and drop the engine/tranny out. The weight distribution is easy to resolve by strapping your car down to the lift. It's the clearance issues IMO. If I were to do this type of an excercise at home, I would put the car on stands, pull the front clip off, hook up and engine lift, and then drop the frame/engine/tranny out the bottom slightly while pulling the lot forward.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

That's what I was thinking. Right now the 4 post lift with the posts at the back of the front wheels essentially is like having the front of the car on stands. The only down side is the frame across. My main concern is the weight distribution. I won't do it till I feel comfortable, but I would rather work under it on the lift than on stands for now.

Just for input...my mechanic used a 4 point lift so the underbody was open. Disconnected erverything and then raised the car up leaving the motor and trans sitting on a crate.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I thought that you needed to take the engine out over the top? Are you intending to drop the whole subframe (if there is one), and pull out the whole front suspension along with it? Not sure if thats something that can be done with the C5, but - it'd give you the opportunity to take care of a lot of maintenance.

Still planning on digging into the transmission yourself?
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

Seems to be easiest to pull the whole subframe K member along with the suspension since that's the way it went together. Be able to fix any leaks and other problems easier. I figure the engine will have to be out more than once, so I might as well figure out how to do it.

I've got the spare trans here, overhaul kit and valve body kit on the way. Probably order the Sonnax tools today too. Got a week of vacation in May. Wife wanted to go on a cruise....ha!

Valve bodies...they're not just for breakfast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0105..jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	12486

The valve sticking out is the main pressure regulator valve. I can move it side to side, but not sure how much. YouTube video on how to measure it. 5 units is suppose to be worn out. Anyone know what a unit is?

The Engine/Transmission was installed at the factory from the bottom and that is the way the manual and the dealers pull it out. I also used a 4 post lift on mine and on my lift I have a hydraulic/pneumatic rolling jack that I used to lift the car above the motor/tranny so I could wiggle them out between the ramps on the lift as the engine with the bottom cradle was a little wider than the ramps. I imagine taking it out the top and forward with the tranny would be a pain. The exhaust manifolds and cooling pipes (made slab sided) were designed for entry/exit out the bottom.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Seems to be easiest to pull the whole subframe K member along with the suspension since that's the way it went together. Be able to fix any leaks and other problems easier. I figure the engine will have to be out more than once, so I might as well figure out how to do it.

I've got the spare trans here, overhaul kit and valve body kit on the way. Probably order the Sonnax tools today too. Got a week of vacation in May. Wife wanted to go on a cruise....ha!
    You are a brave man... that is, as far as the cruise delete mod goes.