Thread: Vibration in steering wheel

Vibration in steering wheel

Ive posted some time ago about vibration in my steering wheel, which was solved by balancing them. (the 18 inch ones..)
    But im still figuring out why my steering wheel is vibrating only when the engine is cold...
    Any ideas? Refreshing the powersteering Oil? DRC? Wheelbearing? Related to the right front rattle?
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Some tires brands/types are more prone to flat spotting over night or after sitting for a couple of days than others, mine (Dunlope Sport Maxx) are but normally clear up after about 5~10K of driving when cold.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I've had the same issue with my car, never really understood it. Attributed it to bearings/drivetrain/bushing smoothing out after warming up...dunno? Does seem to vary and might be the temperature, hasn't been that bad though and usually goes away after a mile or so...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Do you have hancook tires?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Nitto's for summer, Nokian's for winter, and come to think of it even though it's been colder, the problem might not be around as much with the Nokian's....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I didn't have an RS6 that had this issue, but I did have a BMW 540i that did - exhibited a vibration, only when cold, between 45 and 55 MPH in the steering wheel. Eventually traced it to bad bushings in the control arms. When the car would warm up, the torn rubber bushings would expand, and thus the issue wouldn't present itself.

The tire issue - is another possible one, but if you have good tires this isn't something they should be doing. If you don't have good tires, I suggest you pony up the cash and get some... an RS6 on cheap rubber is like ... well, words fail me for that, but our good friend "Wonder Mike" has this to say:

I say a can of beer that's sweeter than honey,
    Like a millionaire that has no money,
    Like a rainy day that is not wet,
    Like a gamblin' fiend that does not bet
    Like Dracula without his fangs,
    Like the boogie to the boogie without the boogie bang,
    Like collard greens that don't taste good,
    Like a tree that's not made out of wood
    Like goin' up and not comin' down,
    Is just like the beat without the sound, no sound
    To the beat beat, you do the freak
    Everybody just rock and dance to the beat
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

ive got Kuhmo tyres, not the best i know...
    But it could well be the bushes mentioned, ive got a rattle at the right front, but that could also be the incredible drc failure...
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control