Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sympotom's of a failing Torque Converter?

Hey that looks like my car did last week! It will all come back together, but takes some $$ for sure. I think the EGT's were $550, but easy to replace with engine out. I had Scroll do the turbos for $1,300 with an upgraded shaft to handle more oil for better cooling and longevity. The turbos that came off were actually in great shape, could have gone to 130-150,000 I would guess...feels more like a restore job than a maintenance job, that's been my stance on repairs here...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Probably already doing- However; be sure to replace all the other seals inside the oil cooler while you have it apart doing the pipe.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...reinstall.html
    Geebus - I read that technote months ago when I was still contemplating whether I should consider owning an RS6.

Replacing this is some of the best advice I have seen for "as long as the engine is out......"

Something I have not seen in this list is that little plastic venturi pump under the intake, and associated tubing that gets perpetually baked. Cheap part, and put in a place to keep food mechanic's tables.

At the end of this, we should compile an "As long as the engine is out....things you might want to replace" list, and sticky it. That way, we can buy stuff on sale, have group buys, etc., for that inevitable day.

The engineer who stuck that little plastic pipe on the back of the oil cooler deserves some ill will directed his way.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Quote Originally Posted by NSU RS6 View Post
    Geebus - I read that technote months ago when I was still contemplating whether I should consider owning an RS6.

Replacing this is some of the best advice I have seen for "as long as the engine is out......"

Something I have not seen in this list is that little plastic venturi pump under the intake, and associated tubing that gets perpetually baked. Cheap part, and put in a place to keep food mechanic's tables.

At the end of this, we should compile an "As long as the engine is out....things you might want to replace" list, and sticky it. That way, we can buy stuff on sale, have group buys, etc., for that inevitable day.

The engineer who stuck that little plastic pipe on the back of the oil cooler deserves some ill will directed his way.
    Absolutely excellent idea on the 'while it's out' sticky'!

I gave them the green light to do the o2's and egt's. Looks like I have a motor mount that will be getting replaced too. This is how I'm going to look at it: $5000 worth of maintenance/repairs now, hopefully 4 years of trouble free enjoyment, $1250 a year. Could be much worse.

Vacuum lines is another one, he was shocked the thing was running well at all with no CEL, I had 2 hoses completely broken off toward the back of the engine. I have a feeling that I'm going to really know what the RS 6 is all about when I get this thing back. I have been nothing but thrilled with the car and it's performance so far.... To think that was with a failing TC, broken vacuum lines and boost leaks. I might need an adult diaper for the first drive.
    Last edited by Tom Sawyer; April 20th, 2012 at 16:37.

Agree with the sticky on repairs and items to inspect when the engine is out. This car blows me away daily, don't worry, leather cleans easy
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

There is light at the end of the tunnel! Cooler came in today, now in the shops hands, and everything else is in, TC done, TB done, going back together. I'm hoping that I'll have her back Friday but may be early next week. I'm really looking forward to it, not that the Chevy Malibu I've been renting hasn't been just suhweet.

Looks like she will be ready Monday. This has been a LOOOOONG 3 weeks........

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Looks like she will be ready Monday. This has been a LOOOOONG 3 weeks........
    I totally jinxed it. Got it mostly back together, first startup and found one of the serpentine rollers/tensioners was making a huge racket. So hopefully that part will be in tomorrow morning.

And that's my last post about it until it's back in my hands!

After a VERY long 4 weeks and 2 days, my Beast and I were joyfully reunited this morning. I could write a novel, but here is the bottom line: if I had driven an RS 6 that drove like mine does now, and then drove mine as it drove when I bought it, I would not have bought it. The difference is just amazing. Naturally it's fantastic to have the ACE converter in and that whole deal sorted out, and I'm optimistic that I caught it in time to save transmission damage as I was getting the 'intermittent' power loss descriptor and no CEL. The car was truly not running right (all relative, seemed fantastic with no reference point) surgey boost wise and absolutely losing boost, a few broken vacuum lines, worn out diverter valves, etc. It is just buttery smooth now, though it is with NO doubt pulling SO much harder, it almost feels less 'brutal' because it's so incredibly smooth. Ok, said I wouldn't write a novel and I won't, but all said and done I could not be happier.

My hit list:

All the normal 75K stuff (+ water pump, thermostat, fuel filter)
    Bufkin oil cooler pipe (beyond a no-brainer when that engine is out)
    EGT sensors
    O2 sensors
    Engine mount
    ACE converter
    007 forge DV's
    Venair Hoses
    Intercoolers checked for leaks
    Turbos checked, all seals replaced
    Valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner gaskets
    Relay Roller Bearing (not by choice, grenaded)
    Oil/Trans Oil cooler (not by choice, grenaded)

All said and done, $5.8K Not a small chunk of change, but considering the fact that the local Audi dealer wanted $3400 just to do the 75k... yeah, feeling pretty good about it all.

Oh and in true RS 6 fashion, I got it back and my rear power shade no longer works. Hilarious.

I think I'll sleep in it tonight....

What's your shops name? I may need your sevices.

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    I have to disagree with you on that. I did rebuilt a bunch of RS6 (A8, S8, A6, A4) trans and I do it for way less than what you paid for your car and I have a pretty good idea how to do it right

PM me at albiosjon@gmail.com

well, as I've had no reference point, and as reading web boards turns car owners into mechanical hypochondriacs, I often wonder if my car is pulling fully, or if my TC is slipping and not reporting it to the VAGCOM.

So...I think we're going to have to meet up at Music City Raceway and go mano-a-mano, and have a comparison between mine and your completely refreshed car!

Oh, and I've found that sleeping in the car is quite comfortable:
    - fold down rear seats
    - lay down a thick blanket
    - curl up with a pillow, and another blanket during the winter

My wife and I do this when making the Ann Arbor-Nashville run; one of us sleeps in heavenly comfort while the other drives. We've got it down to one refueling stop by starting with a full tank (Lima OH on the way up, Bowling Green KY on the way down), fast through southern Kentucky, attentive to cops in Ohio...anyways, we've done it in 7.5 hours.

Oh right, we were discussing torque converters....:P
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo