Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission Pan

905084 remember though our transmission is neither the O1V or O1L.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

It's not? holy crap I'm an idiot...what is it? and why is it different? still waiting on my slipping replacement...does praying to the ZF gods help? I'll do anything!

It is an O1L (all wheel drive) O1V is (front wheel drive).
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    It is an O1L (all wheel drive) O1V is (front wheel drive).
    Tozo, can you overfill these transmissions? Is plug in at 25'c too cold?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

905084, ours is a modified version of the O1L in the A6 which really means it is a different version of the 5HP24 we all know that part already. Elsawin also tells me 8qts of oil at a change which I have now done 4 changes, 2 on my car and 2 on two other RS6's and with a drain of the pan off to change the filter, letting it drip for an hour or so, it has always taken 7~8qts of oil to do the full refill procedure. This of course doesn't include a full fluid change with both coolers drained and of course the T.C. takes a couple more qts too. Just pulling the pan an letting it drain will slowly drain some of the fluid from the oil coolers (tranny has two, the split oil/engine cooler in the front lower portion and the conventional tranny cooler integrated into the radiator). With a tranny replacement it is somewhere around 12~14qts if I remember right. Can't remember, I just had to keep adding quart after quart.
    Roy, WA

Here is a good tranny refill thread with pics posted by Pat (V8weight) a couple of years ago.
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...+quarts+change
    Roy, WA

Ok, Ok ,Ok (done in my best Joe Pesci impersonation). So you are telling me that if I pull the pan, drop the filter, and even crack the cooler line I'm in it for 8-9 quarts after running it to 30-50 c? So I drained about a gallon and put a gallon in and after it leaked out after 4 quarts I'm still a gallon low? I'll check it tomorrow but I doubt it as the entire tranny only holds 9.8-10.4 according to my Bentley. I hope it is cause it beats a $4500 trans job.

Your trans with the converter holds 13qt. 25C is a bit cold. The easiest way to check, put your hand on the trans. Your body temp is 36C so when it feels warm you can put the plug back. You have to be really cold to over fill it. The problem with over filling, the fluid level could reach spinning parts of the trans and the fluid start foaming. Air bubbles in fluid will cause slipping. I would say it is impossible to overfill the trans if you fill it from the bottom. It was a problem on cars with trans dipstick.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Remember the Bentley is a guide for the A6 w/some RS6 stuff in it but the specs in the Auto Tranny section are for the A6, the A6, we have the 2 coolers. When you say drained do you mean you only drained and refilled and didn't pull the pan? If you did this only then 4 or 5 qts is probably about right. I just looked at some old posts and most said they were getting 6~7qts with the pan off, Audi was charging most people 8~9qts which is too much without a complete drain.
    Roy, WA

Nope, pulled the pan and used a filter and gasket that I had for my 2000 A6 4.2 with the 5HP24A....same gasket and filter that came out of my RS. As the drain is at the bottom of the pan, I can't see that it wouldn't make much difference (maybe 1/2 of a quart for what was trapped in the filter). The 2 coolers I did not know about. I've seen the 2 lines (feed and return) going to the front. Where is the other cooler?

A Few months ago I had to replace my valve body in the trans. Also replaced filter, which requires you to do the same procedures if you were to drain and replace filter. I bought 8 qts of oil and probably took 7.5 total and I spilt probably a half qt on the floor. =)

Maybe I'm 3 quarts low...god I hope so. Will check tomorrow. So close to 2 gallons with a pan drop and filter change? Anyone have an RS reference for this, cause the Bentley is totally misleading.

Don't worry about qt and gallons. Fill it until overflows, start the car in P, fill it until overflows, hold the brakes and put it in R-N-D-R-P for 15 sec each, fill more until it overflows and wait until it reaches the 35C then reinstall the filler plug. you are done.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Is the purpose of this to get the pick-up pipe off the bottom of the pan?.... Minimizing the chances of starving (cavitating) fluid flow under extreme conditions?
    correct, although you dont need 'extreme conditions'. I heard the whine as i took off sedately from the indie shop that had just changed the filter out.

Drove around the block and straight back into the indie shop to trim the pickup pipe next day after got forum advice overnight on the problem.

A great forum is the RS6 C5 forum with many learned members!

(waiting for the innuendos!)

john

Rechecked my level and it is all good. 4.5 quarts for a pan drop and filter change. Drive tomorrow to check but..........no hope.

It doesn't seem right. I've never used less than 7qt.
    05 Cayenne turbo

It does seem when I filled it that it has a little sucking sound, but I can't get any more into it. If the trans cooler is plugged would it cause this? I cracked and drained the trans cooler line but nothing but a few drops (maybe 3 ounces) came out. Blow out the trans cooler line?