Thread: Rs3+

Rs3+

Audi has just launched the TT-RS plus. I had heard a rumour that the same upgraded engine would find its way into the RS3. Anyone know anything about this? If it's coming it'll need to arrive soon, because the current A3 Sportback won't be in production for much longer.

Tailpipe, that RS3 rumour has been going around for a while, including a version that says the RS3+ would only be for N. America. No idea what credence should be put on any of that. To be honest though, given that any RS3 or TTRS owner can have their engine output increased by 65+ bhp (and torque by 100Nm or so) with a (reversible) ECU remap for about £1000, I can't work up much excitement about an extra 25 bhp. I suppose the latter is more warranty-friendly, but I think Audi know very well that this engine can easily be cranked up to 400bhp without risk. As I recall that next-gen A3 concept they showed at Geneva last year was powered by a 400bhp TTRS/RS3 engine coupled to the same 7-speed S-tronic transmission.

Now, if they could reduce the weight significantly as well, I might sit up and take notice, but I suspect to do so safely and without loss of refinement would incur a much more substantial financial hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    Tailpipe, that RS3 rumour has been going around for a while, including a version that says the RS3+ would only be for N. America. No idea what credence should be put on any of that. To be honest though, given that any RS3 or TTRS owner can have their engine output increased by 65+ bhp (and torque by 100Nm or so) with a (reversible) ECU remap for about £1000, I can't work up much excitement about an extra 25 bhp. I suppose the latter is more warranty-friendly, but I think Audi know very well that this engine can easily be cranked up to 400bhp without risk. As I recall that next-gen A3 concept they showed at Geneva last year was powered by a 400bhp TTRS/RS3 engine coupled to the same 7-speed S-tronic transmission.

Now, if they could reduce the weight significantly as well, I might sit up and take notice, but I suspect to do so safely and without loss of refinement would incur a much more substantial financial hit.
    Considering the fact that N. America doesn't have the RS3, makes the rumor void.
    www.quattive.com

Considering the fact that N. America doesn't have the RS3, makes the rumor void.
    Well, no it doesn't actually. This variant of the RS3+ rumour (and that's all it is) is that Audi will only introduce the car to markets where the RS3 itself isn't sold. In which case the N. Americans would see it but we wouldn't. I have no idea whether there is any truth whatsoever in this (and I am inclined to doubt it) but it is quite consistent all the same.

Dealer tells me that RS3+ is definitely coming to UK, but in strictly limited quantities. Probably May.

That's interesting, I was told exactly the opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Dealer tells me that RS3+ is definitely coming to UK, but in strictly limited quantities. Probably May.
    Did he give a price? If it's arriving in May, surely they must be taking orders by now? I know the RS3 ordering process has been less than ideal, but at least when we put our deposits down we knew the spec, the price and a (admittedly, rather elastic) notion of timescale .

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    Did he give a price? If it's arriving in May, surely they must be taking orders by now? I know the RS3 ordering process has been less than ideal, but at least when we put our deposits down we knew the spec, the price and a (admittedly, rather elastic) notion of timescale .
    He said it will be announced in May but no word on price. He said any RS3+ will need to be delivered by August because the new Sportback production line goes live in September. He said period between order and delivery likely to be short. It will come with a very high standard of spec. New colour is yellow. (Yuk!)

BTW he also said that the next S3 would probably get the 2.5 litre 5-cylinder engine with 300 bhp. There will also be a 2.0 litre EA888 developing 230-250 bhp (same engine will be used for VW Golf GTI). My dealer has sold more RS3s than any other UK Audi dealer so he may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    He said it will be announced in May but no word on price. He said any RS3+ will need to be delivered by August because the new Sportback production line goes live in September. He said period between order and delivery likely to be short. It will come with a very high standard of spec. New colour is yellow. (Yuk!)

BTW he also said that the next S3 would probably get the 2.5 litre 5-cylinder engine with 300 bhp. There will also be a 2.0 litre EA888 developing 230-250 bhp (same engine will be used for VW Golf GTI). My dealer has sold more RS3s than any other UK Audi dealer so he may be right.
    I think you are being feed the wrong information because only the 3 door A3 is coming in September, the 5 door SportBack will be almost a year later.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

I'm going to ask again about the plus variant. If May orders are to be delivered in August, I'd be keen, subject to price and spec to take one.

I have to say I thought the next S3 was confirmed with 2.0T producing ~280hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I think you are being feed the wrong information because only the 3 door A3 is coming in September, the 5 door SportBack will be almost a year later.
    Joker, you're to UK-centric. The A3 3-door is first to launch. Timing depends on country. Sportback production commences September initially to make mules for testing I imagine. Sportback launch is guestimated to be March 2013. May be sooner if new A-Class is good.

The + only means that it has the new CEPB engine.

And the A3 and TT are older models running out of production time.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    The + only means that it has the new CEPB engine.

And the A3 and TT are older models running out of production time.
    What is CEPB engine? Please explain.

CEPA is the engine code (as defined in ETKA and listed on the official VAG order form) for the 'standard' engine found in the RS3 and TTRS. CEPB is the engine code for the revised engine with the extra horses as found in the TTRS+ and allegedly the RS3+.