Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard brake pedal - no brakes at all!!!

Mech hard brake pedal - no brakes at all!!!

...just came back from a 2 weeks vacation and i was very eager to get behind the wheel again to drive it a little bit...so went in the garage, took the car cover off and then started the car after previously turning off the radio and climate control to make sure there is enough power....the car started very easy, as if it's been sitting since yesterday not 2 weeks, that made me very happy , let it a few minutes to warm up, while i was packing the car cover, and then went out heading to a car wash....everything was just fine, enjoying the drive when suddenly after 10 miles or more turning in an easy right i pushed the brake pedal to slow down a bit when i realized that it's very hard and that i can barely press it, though it worked just fine until then! Managed to pull over, thank God i wasn't speeding, called a recovery truck and took it to Audi. While waiting for the the truck and trying to find out what happened i've started the car again a few times and saw that it goes right away to 2k-2.5k RPM and then easily goes to the regular idling RPM but when it goes there i could hear some whistling, like air was coming out from some pipe and the idling was rough....my guess is that the problems lies somewhere in the vacuum system, maybe a valve or hose, a mechanic from Audi took a look and he reckons that might be it...we'll see tomorrow exactly what is wrong with my baby !

While waiting for the recovery truck did a short poll in my mind and came out that from all the cars i've had only the Audi's left stranded on the side of road, even though each time was a minor issue, but still... however the BMW, Ford, Jaguar, etc never let me down on the road like the Audi, kind of disappointed especially that this brake problem could've ended really bad!!! Anyway i am not quitting on her and i will keep walking !
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

another vacuum boost issue/leak...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

how difficult is it to fix it? it's a common failure?

Mik, check my recent thread "rough idle"

There are many possible sources of a leak. I had the same exact symptoms. Where is the noise coming from, can you tell while listening with a small tube? If its under the manifold, be prepared for a large labor bill and a small parts bill.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

seems to be coming from under the manifold...

WTF are the chances 2 members have this issue at about the same time. You know these things usually happen in 3's.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    WTF are the chances 2 members have this issue at about the same time. You know these things usually happen in 3's.
    Come on who's next?

Suction jet pump... pretty sure.

I'm going in later today to pull my manifold. If you need any pics or info let me know.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

probably it's the same thing on mine, i have been reading your thread and i am pretty sure it's the suction jet pump, though i didn't get any CEL. I did turn it off and then again on a few times but still no brake boost...i am will be preparing myself for a big bill from Audi , if they need to get the car into service position i will probably do the valve cover gaskets as well and whatever tubing is under the manifold...not even 6k miles since i got the car and with this bill it's going to be over 6k $ spent already, 1k for each 1k miles, kind of really expensive....

The dealer may require engine pull for vavle cover on passenger side if they adhere to the book. The good news is you shouldn't have to do major surgery for a long time after this. Manifold pull shouldn't cost more than 1500 to pull. What all is being done for 6k?

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I am gonna roll the dice and say 3 more within a month...

Brav, photos please...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I am gonna roll the dice and say 3 more within a month...

Brav, photos please...
    I'll second Ben's motion for pics. All in favor?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

OK. I will figure out a way to share them in the easiest manor. I have my laptop and tablet by my side, hopefully the tab takes good pics.

Make sure they replace with silicone, not OEM. And on that note, go ahead and get line 20 feet and replace EVERTHING you can access.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I believe it's the same on the RS6, but I would check the hard vacuum line going into the firewall to the brake booster. There is usually a plastic valve on the engine bay side that will come apart over time.
    03 Audi RS6
    99 Porsche 996 Carrera
    01 Audi S4 Casa Avant
    95 Audi S6 Avant SOLD
    95 Audi S6 rs2'd SOLD
    01 A6 2.7T SOLD

Remember, this is the same thing that happened to mine, unfortunately, I believe I was one of the first to get this. It is very suprising when it happens, and would come and go. No CEL untill the very end.
    $2 part, expensive labor. thank goodnes for Fidelity, $100 ded.
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

Anyone have an ETKA exploded view of this plastic part in question? My ETKA wont install on any of my 64 bit computers I may have to resurrect an old laptop

I run ETKA in a 32 bit Windows XP virtual machine. Works great. Actually that VM is a "p2v" of my old laptop from ~2005, so I still have all my old junk when I need it (like at tax time).
    I don't have it handy otherwise I'd look it up now.

So is it possible to run in and install in "XP Mode" ?