Thread: RSN-E display repair in the USA?

RSN-E display repair in the USA?

The display on my unit has finally shat the bed (seems to be a common problem now that I've looked into it a bit)

...I used to be able to wiggle the ribbon wire on the back to have the display pop back on...but that trick works no more.

I know there is a well regarded place in the UK that repairs them....obviously I would like to have it done here in the states tho....anybody have a recommendation? Thanx in advance (TIA)
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

No one I know of in the US, try contacting Haaggie (AKA Albert), although overseas, he is a RNS-E master.

haaggie@gmail.com

Have you tried removing the display and reseating the ribbon cable? Worth a shot.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

skribe's did the same or he got one super cheap and fixed it...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanx for the thoughts...no, I haven't the courage (or knowledge how) to remove just the display just yet. I guess I have nothing to lose in trying at this point. Are you thinking the end plug connector on the ribbon is not seated enough? That would be stellar if that is all it is. I'm thinking the power wire to the display has come out or loose or has broken somewhere.

I certainly will email Haagie for his thoughts on it....is he in western Europe?

Today the darn thing works though, last nite it kept flickering on, then it was on dimly, then off altogehter. I want to punch it.
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Another Cheap way might be to look for a newer one out of an A3 (for some reason they seem to be the cheapest) and swap faceplates.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks, I have considered (as a last resort) the new version out of an A3 with the C5 faceplate retro-fitted...$1600 though.

New version does sound alot nicer tho...higher resolution, new features etc. Not so keen on the metal trimmed knobs tho...I like the old black rubber knobs, which I guess can be fitted on the new unit.

Has anyone tried the 2010+ version of the RNS-E in the C5? I am generally happy with the original version, but the nav graphics look like ColecoVision compared to a modern phone.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    Has anyone tried the 2010+ version of the RNS-E in the C5? I am generally happy with the original version, but the nav graphics look like ColecoVision compared to a modern phone.
    I actually just had one in my car last week.

I was converting it from EU TO US and coding it for the mrs' B7 A4.

The hi-res screen is beautiful, and the TMC function is cool. The unit is quicker on route calc. The maps are the same lazy graphics, but much sharper. No 3d buildings, ect. like on the new Audi MMI.

There is a small problem as the unit will not willingly accept a C5 A6 coding.

The faceplate swap is not that difficult (I went from A3 to A4), and you can get the 2010 units in many flavors (chrome knobs, black knobs, matte display surround, glossy display surround)

I did the full 2010 A3 RNS-E to A4 swap for under $1G.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Thanx for the thoughts...no, I haven't the courage (or knowledge how) to remove just the display just yet. I guess I have nothing to lose in trying at this point. Are you thinking the end plug connector on the ribbon is not seated enough? That would be stellar if that is all it is. I'm thinking the power wire to the display has come out or loose or has broken somewhere.

I certainly will email Haagie for his thoughts on it....is he in western Europe?

Today the darn thing works though, last nite it kept flickering on, then it was on dimly, then off altogehter. I want to punch it.
    Haaggie is in the Netherlands I believe.

It could be a loose connection (new RNS-E has a redesigned connector due to this issue). If you are brave you can use this walk through to detach the screen and reseat the ribbon. It is delicate so use caution! Once you do it it is simple.
    http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Sect...Face_Plate.htm

I wonder if bba-reman is capable? They done countless ABS module and speedo work for me.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    I actually just had one in my car last week.

I was converting it from EU TO US and coding it for the mrs' B7 A4.

The hi-res screen is beautiful, and the TMC function is cool. The unit is quicker on route calc. The maps are the same lazy graphics, but much sharper. No 3d buildings, ect. like on the new Audi MMI.

There is a small problem as the unit will not willingly accept a C5 A6 coding.

The faceplate swap is not that difficult (I went from A3 to A4), and you can get the 2010 units in many flavors (chrome knobs, black knobs, matte display surround, glossy display surround)

I did the full 2010 A3 RNS-E to A4 swap for under $1G.
    Good to know.. that other guy was selling them for 1600-1800 with coding for the C5 .. but maybe he was just coding it as you did? I dont know.. for 1k cost, its a no-brainer for 2010 model!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

*It is smart to buy from the reputable venders (Haaggie, Zawa, ect), as they do all the work for you and you get a warranty (but it will cost you!)

I didn't try to code my 2010 unit for the RS 6, I just installed it for testing and converting. After reading more it looks like the US firmware will allow you to code the 2010 unit for a C5 A6 but the EU firmware won't!

I just received my 2011 RNS-E coded for my RS6 yesterday from zawa. Yeah, I ponied 1600, but I figured that I would get some of that $$$ back someday for upgrading the electronics by almost a decade. It arrived extremely well packaged, with all necessary tools and adapters. Zawa also customised it with black knobs and a matte black screen so it should look absolutely stock. I hope to install it this weekend.

The nav will be nice but not really necessary for me, I tend to pretty much know where I am going. What sold me was the ability to drop two 32GB SDHC cards in the slots and basically have a my entire music library at my finger tips. I also realize I could have hit Crutchfield up for a better sounding system for about the same quid, but an RS6 with SEE isn't exactly an optimum sound room, so whatever.

I might post pics when done, but it will look pretty much like other conversions you have seen - except the graphics should be better.

As for you Jimmy, Adam (zawa) can be reached at neozawaatgmaildotcom. All my dealings with him have been great so far. Just one last step to go........
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Yeah, forgot about the 32GB SDHC capability!

Jebus...now you guys got me thinking to buy the 2011 unit for the Rs6 and fix the old unit for install in the allroad.

Great link marklar182, thanks. I was prepared to surf the web late into the nite tonite for that exact sort of thing.

Adam Z. is maybe a few hours from me too; he's been so kind to offer his assistance and answer my questions. I'll be sure to buy the complete 2011 unit from him in 'vintage' RS6 OE form. Thanx for the feedback NSU RS6.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    I am generally happy with the original version, but the nav graphics look like ColecoVision compared to a modern phone.

LOL...spot on.