Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Rough idle

These holes are used for the suspension alignment procedure

Great thanks

Has anyone ever done the after run coolant pump relocation?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Brav - do you know the part number for the non return valve located under the manifold? here it takes 2 f... weeks to have it shipped from Germany as they do not have a stock and i want to buy it...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

The shop that did mine didn't actually relocate it. We tried and looked. The only places we could see were 'before' feeding the engine, the OEM location is feeding the turbos. I made the call that its suppose to feed/cool the turbos and I'd like those to last. The pump itself is the same but the kit is just cheaper.
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Those holes are supposed to be open. I think they might be alignment holes for reinstalling the subframe.

Your ICs are dirty because they're leaking! All that dirt on the bottom is attracted by oil that leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillHouse View Post
    The shop that did mine didn't actually relocate it. We tried and looked. The only places we could see were 'before' feeding the engine, the OEM location is feeding the turbos. I made the call that its suppose to feed/cool the turbos and I'd like those to last. The pump itself is the same but the kit is just cheaper.
    Thanks for that info.. I again thought I was having an idiot moment, now I know not to waste any time with it. My pump seems fine but after 150k miles, I guess I might as well replace it at the stock location, and prevent a ticking time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    Those holes are supposed to be open. I think they might be alignment holes for reinstalling the subframe.

Your ICs are dirty because they're leaking! All that dirt on the bottom is attracted by oil that leaked out.
    Yep, had them soaking last night in soapy water. Got 90% of the grime off, now I will bast it with brake cleaner to get the rest. Drivers side was really bad. Can even see water leaking out of the core/end tank seams as i lift out of the water.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

I will begin most of my reconstruction this evening. Does anyone have a procedure for instructions for installing new intake manifold gaskets? I have them, but don't know if I need to add a special grease, or what?

^^ the answer is NO grease. turns out to be just as much a bitch to put on as to take off. lining up the recirc hard pipes to the turbo inlet pipes while lowering onto the studs and horizontally onto the MAF seat housing is not fun. of course im dodging all sorts of other lines in the process.

UPDATE: and I'm still at it. The rage is starting to come back with this car. I am really at the limit of patience. Its nearly impossible to line up the MAF housing horizontal guides while also lining up the secondair air pump hard lines let alone the studs on the manifold. I GIVE UP. PLEASE GIVE ME A MAGIC TIP!
    Last edited by Brav; March 1st, 2012 at 07:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    ^^
    UPDATE: and I'm still at it. The rage is starting to come back with this car. I am really at the limit of patience. Its nearly impossible to line up the MAF housing horizontal guides while also lining up the secondair air pump hard lines let alone the studs on the manifold. I GIVE UP. PLEASE GIVE ME A MAGIC TIP!
    I was wondering how the manifold reinstall was going to go... By the looks of your previous pics, it appears like a sum-bitch with all the hard lines, alignment and space issues etc, etc etc!

Hang-in there!... Good Luck!
    Last edited by 4.2Crew; March 1st, 2012 at 12:42.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

I finally got it all aligned last night, with the help of a friend with a pry-bar. The MAF seat housing guides just were not lining up at all to the manifold. There are a few things with this operation that just require an extra set of hands. The manifold does not sit perfectly flush on the block yet, but I think with 1mm to go it should be ok to go ahead and start the bolt tightening sequence. Someone correct me if I am wrong.. the primary problem is the secondary air/recirc hard pipes that really mess the flow up.

I still can't believe I got this hose back onto this nipple. it was completely under the manifold. i brushed it with some coolant for lubrication, then fiddled with it for about 45 minutes with some needle nose pliers at the worst angle. too much pressure and it would collapse the hose, too little and it would slip off. I should have probably tried to connect it with the manifold off and at an angle, like you have to do with the SJP.

That does not look fun.

Nice work!

Seems scary the manifold only requires 10nm of torque? seems almost finger tight.. whats that about, 7lb/ft?

Got my intercoolers back today, welder said it was impossible to reach inside the seam due to the design. back to filling them the old fashion way.

Also, if someone could guide me as far as how to properly remove/replace the injector o-rings without damaging the plastic washer deal, I would greatly appreciate it. It seems other audi injectors have a smaller plastic washer (retainer?) and would be easier to pry it off, but this larger one makes it seem like I will break another. Thanks.

SHES ALIVE!! I fired her up before taking it out of service position to ensure I had done everything right. Well, started pissing fuel and really bad missfire. Like an idiot, I didnt tighten the fuel rail. Open circuit on cyl 5 injector as well. Wasnt pushed all the way down. easy 2 minute fixes, and fired up again after fuel cleanup, and idled like a kitten (just code for low coolant). Ran for 1 min, no other codes! I am buttoning her up now and will post more in a bit about my last few experiences that may help others.

I feel relieved and accomplished. I honestly never thought I would be able to do this myself. It took over a week longer than expected as I took my time and waited for parts and became busy. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon.

the only problem I have is the airbox wont sit flush without being forced. Looks like I need to re-route some harness wires above the fuel rail... I am lest frustrated with that tho as the car is running.

Congrats on your job !!

Glad to hear it!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Very cool.

I can say from experience that driving the beast after an unexpectedly long break for maintenance is particularly satisfying. (Especially if you were driving something uncomfortable and/or slow.)

+1 , drove for the last week an Alfa Romeo 156 2.0i and after got the RS back and easily pressed the gas was like a rocket, i think we need from time to time to drive another car for a few days in order to realize what a great car it is , not to mention the way i feel in the Audi just standing at the red light or in the parking, i love being inside this car, makes me feel like home, i love how the Recaro seat hugs me, how the suspension feels....i love it!!
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast