Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Rough idle

It is one of the best feeling in the world when you get the beast back running. The issue is trying not to get speeding tickets.

Glad things are starting to work out.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    Very cool.

I can say from experience that driving the beast after an unexpectedly long break for maintenance is particularly satisfying. (Especially if you were driving something uncomfortable and/or slow.)
    This is so right, and clichet apparently... lol. Right when I pulled her out of the warehouse, I was like WOW I was missing this. I was driving an 02 LS430. Talk about night and day.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Still no codes or problems yet. Still in disbelief (that I did it right?). When the thing was all apart with parts scattered everywhere, I honestly thought I would have to hire someone to put humpty back together. In the end, its just a lot of small steps. There were a few cases that the right tool could have saved me hours (remote hose clamp tool). FWIW, out of laziness at 2 am, I left the rear shrouds off. I will try to do some IAT logs later, then maybe throw them back in and re-test.

If I had planned better and not wanted to mess around a lot with stupid things (injectors, aux rads, refurb intercoolers, afterrun coolant pump bad info from dealer), I could have had it done in probably 4 evenings, realistically. One thing I did right, was take lots of pictures before pulling apart, and as I went along. This really helped with re-running the hoses and harness.

I did make a few rookie mistakes which were fortunately correctable. I almost wasn't able to get the airbox on because of the way I routed the harness, and one connecter almost wasn't able to connect. It was supposed to run up between intake runners, but you have to snake it through BEFORE you put the manifold back on, which was not willing to remove again...

Here is how I routed it, supposed to come up by that green check-valve.

and where I had to connect it, should be on other side. Very tight fit!

This is where I capped the auxiliary coolant pipes (see cap in center of photo). I bought the same NAPA Autoparts caps that SteveKen used in his writeup and they worked beautifully. (PN 660-1695, and 660-1696). The line on the left I believe is the feed line.. which also gets capped, but up underneath where the coolant reservoir is.

coolant res lifted, the pipe on left from above photo feeds to that bulkhead fitting on the bottom then to that hose (which I left all in place.. for now). Then you can seep the other cap on this crazy custom fitting.

Another shot of cap, from above. displaced and unused hose pushed aside and left in place.

New injector o-ring vs old ones.. and the tool I used to put them on.

Invaluable tool harmony! Saved a lot of time in some cases.. (STRONG magnet)

I am a happy camper now.. The only problem I have is an error for the "coolant control module 2" which I am not really sure of.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    You need 32 bit to run ETKA. I tried to load it on win 7 64 running on my MacBook pro...no dice. Had to delete that virtual machine and reload with win 7 32bit ultimate.
    JSRS6, PM'd you.

BTW I am running ETKA on my Win7 Pro 64 bit, with XP mode. I think you have to have Pro in XP mode to use 64 bit? Home wont work, without maybe some 3rd party software.

In the end, its just a lot of small steps.
    Exactly!

XP mode comes with Pro (and Ultimate). Home would need an upgrade or other virtualization software and an XP license.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Just wanted to update.. found a coolant leak. it was the napa cap.. heat deterioration. cracked badly

from here:

Was that the rubber cap you used to plug the aux rad lines?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Was that the rubber cap you used to plug the aux rad lines?
    Yep, there is one there near the coolant res, and another on passenger side of engine. That one looks OK, this one must get a lot hotter..

Hmm have to take a look..that's on my list of things to do...starting with drilling out rivets on IC's to separate Aux rads.
    2013 Audi S8

Brav - I did the same thing, hard run on highway resulting in rough idle! Leak tested and got smoke under the intake manifold. So I have this same project scheduled for this weekend! Yeaaaayyyy.

Any chance you or anyone else can provide the after-run coolant pump relocation kit number and the suction jet pump number?

Also, I've deleted my SAI through REVO, besides 034 motorsport, are there any other block off plate options?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Make your own...using the gasket as a template and reusing the old gasket...
    2013 Audi S8

Good call!

Well, I managed to dig up the PNs fairly quickly, so the good news is the parts will be in tomorrow awaiting their install this weekend!

The pump relocation kit did NOT fit. I went around in circles with this. There is not a kit specifically made for the RS6. I simply used the new pump from the kit and put it in the stock location, unfortunately. It can be done, but the supplied pluming won't work, you will have to custom fab/cut some longer hoses and find a suitable location.... as we all know, "suitable location" and "RS6 engine bay" are not allowed to be mentioned in the same day.

Let us know if you need any help.. you will def need a pry-bar to get her off. Good luck!

Yeah, I ended up getting just the pump for $160.

Got the car back together yesterday evening after a good two days of wrenching. I replaced the jet suction and after-run pumps and ended up having to reuse the intake manifold gaskets, since they were unavailable. Didn't have any problems with reusing them.

Many thanks to Brav's pictures, I had to reference them a few times!

I pulled the rear SAI hoses off of the solenoids while I was in there to free up some extra room. Just have the solenoid valves at the heads remaining now, slowly removing all of that crap!

Also did a quick trans fluid drain (20k miles worht of use) and refill, so she should be good for awhile until the 01e conversion comes next year.

This car is definitely a labor of love!

Well done. Glad the pics helped!