Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough idle

OK so after listening with air box off and MAFs in, sound is most accute from the middle of drivers side of manifold (underneath it). What could that be? Idont think I have the time or the talent to pull the manifold right now and not have a running car.

MAF seals seemed to have some indents in them at the rear inside area, like the mafs are being pulledback and pinched. They were not symmetrical. Maf connectors had sharp bends and severe wear but seemed to not be frayed yet. See photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1308..jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	12319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1306..jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	12320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1304..jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	12321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1303..jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	12322  
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

John's issue (possibly related?) -> http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...oes?highlight=

The MAF seals @ Apikol seem to be the current shiznit.

The MAF connecter/boot can be replaced fairly easy. I just don't know nor researched the pin connection as I have an idea for an extension as this seems to be a high wear item and is so vital to the operation of the car. Another poor design...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    I really hope its something on top of the manifold.. is there much under the airbox that could go wrong? the SAI pump looks fine.
    I think this might be the issue

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...ntake-manifold

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...comes-and-goes

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...appened-to-you
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Oops. Ben beat me to it on my middle thread
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

ben916 - if you come up with a MAF connector extension, let share it - mine look just about exactly like Brav's and I wonder how long before I have trouble as a result....

My problem was MAF. I just had my MAFs rewired and the Apikol seals installed. She was running like a top on my Portland trip.

Hope your problem is easy to solve.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Reading the linked threads, it sure sounds like that "jet pump" is the culprit. A $10 piece of plastic that will take 10 hours to get to
    I am adding that to my list of things to do the next time things are apart.

Yea kday, it seems to be the case. It fits with the location of what I am hearing and my symptoms. I think I may try to tackle this myself if I can borrow a car for the week. Looks very tedious but not difficult. I just need to prepare to get a bunch of electricians tags etc and take lots of pics. I really hope this is the problem if I am going to rip this thing apart.. something tells me it will take me a week, not 2 days..

Thanks again guys for all the input, I feel the love!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Yeah, I agree, it sounds tedious but not difficult. It's smart to allow yourself extra time -- I know at least in my case I start making mistakes when I am in a hurry. If you don't already have a Bentley manual, get one.

So who wants to earn a few cases of beer and dinner to come pull this pig apart with me? Not gonna lie, I'm scared. Ordered Bentley. Has someone posted an intake manifold DIY? I cant seem to find one

P3u did it. I can't find the thread, but I'm pretty sure he had a write up.

While the intake is off, make sure to clean up the throttle body well with a toothbrush.

So who wants to earn a few cases of beer and dinner to come pull this pig apart with me? Not gonna lie, I'm scared. Ordered Bentley. Has someone posted an intake manifold DIY? I cant seem to find one
    You may want to check the post run coolant pump while you're there... I just had mine done in November which required R&R of the intake manifold. They are a *good* shop and I actually waited while they worked so I know they actually were on it all day.

I wish I knew about the Jet Pump when I did that coolant pump - I'd have changed it out for sure!

Good luck!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Good call, I should get an after run coolant pump as well.

I found this thread, but not a real DIY. I would make one as I do mine, but it will probably be full of bad info!

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...nds?highlight=

I should have said it before - you can order the relocation kit (I don't have any part numbers, I will check the receipt when I get home) but not actually use the whole kit... Its the same pump but for some reason its $20 cheaper if I remember right.
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

OK Guys- please chime in with suggestions. I got everything setup to tear this biotch apart to replace the elusive suction jet pump. Since pulling the manifold, I hope, is a one-time experience for me, WHAT ELSE should I replace under there while I'm at it?

Suction pump
    After run coolant pump (relocation)
    PCVs?
    Gaskets?
    Anything?

All of my hoses are all new above the manifold, my guess is nothing was touched underneath.

Will it be easier at this point to pull valve covers? I do need to replace my cam adjuster on driver side. If there is time savings, I might as well do it..

When and where?

EDIT:
    When John's vacuum leak happened, there was a suggestion to replace all $hitty old tubing with new vacuum tubing (since your gonna be in there/under there anyway, right?) and I bought 15' of tubing as a kit from ECS (IIRC - it was $10 or something) and it had some T connectors and other connections included. I will look on ECS to see if I can find it. Better to be safe than sorry...

EDIT AGAIN:
    found this but the prices went up ALOT!
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Search/Vacuum/
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Well, the list of "while you're in there" items is potentially very long, since you have to put the front into service position, which is of course step #1 in a lot of procedures, including the timing belt/water pump/thermostat.

It would be a great time to replace the spark plugs if they've got some miles on them.

The Bentley says the engine has to come out to get the passenger side valve cover off. If it was me I'd skip the valve covers unless they were obviously leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    When and where?

EDIT:
    When John's vacuum leak happened, there was a suggestion to replace all $hitty old tubing with new vacuum tubing (since your gonna be in there/under there anyway, right?) and I bought 15' of tubing as a kit from ECS (IIRC - it was $10 or something) and it had some T connectors and other connections included. I will look on ECS to see if I can find it. Better to be safe than sorry...

EDIT AGAIN:
    found this but the prices went up ALOT!
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Search/Vacuum/
    Im taking it to friend's shop to use his lift.. he felt bad. Will start taking things apart today, and probably do the heavy duty stuff all day Saturday. Gives me Sunday if I cant get it all together that day.