Thread: Is it possible to replace the oil cooler pipe while the engine is in the car?

Is it possible to replace the oil cooler pipe while the engine is in the car?

I think I might have pushed a fragile oil cooler pipe over the edge when I was pressure testing my coolant system after the timing belt job. I now have a leak that is slow but persistent, even when unpressurized. It's hard to quantify how much it's leaking, but I left some paper towels under the car overnight and it leaked enough to wet most of the towel. I am debating whether I should take the front end apart again to install the aluminum replacement pipe, or just live with the leak for a few months until I pull the engine for the 6 speed swap. Any thoughts?

I had things apart this far a couple weekends ago, how much farther is it to get the oil filter housing off (if it's possible with the engine in place)?

Ugh. I think it's not possible to do with the engine in the RS6.

I did it withe the motor in the S6, but there was a lot more room in there. It still royally sucked.

Maybe the 01E project should be pushed up???

I am tempted to get in on Scotty's group buy for rebuild kits even though I don't have any transmission. lol. I actually enjoyed doing the rebuild myself.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Oh boy. I guess this does add some urgency to the 01E swap. Tell me more about this group buy... I was already thinking I'd do the TDI gear swap myself. I love taking things apart and I've never been inside a gearbox before.

I don't mind topping up the coolant every week in the meantime. There's no risk of getting coolant in the oil, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    Oh boy. I guess this does add some urgency to the 01E swap. Tell me more about this group buy... I was already thinking I'd do the TDI gear swap myself. I love taking things apart and I've never been inside a gearbox before.

I don't mind topping up the coolant every week in the meantime. There's no risk of getting coolant in the oil, right?
    The group buy is on AZ and I think I posted it here. If you can't find it, I will take another look for the link...
    EDIT: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/470261-Audi-6-speed-01E-overhaul-set-GROUP-BUY!

Also kday, there are some timing belt virgins here that haven't or choose not to dive into removing their motors, so could you draw an arrow or point to where the problem is in your photo? thx
    Last edited by ben916; February 16th, 2012 at 22:57.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The problem isn't evident in that photo -- I posted it because the bracket that holds the alternator (visible in that pic) is also the oil cooler housing. I will post a photo of where my leak is tonight or this weekend. It's in that area but only visible from below.

Just ripped apart my A6 4.2 because it was leaking like s sieve. Coolant coming out right where the oil cooler pipe would show a leak. In the process of putting the front into the service position and lowered, I found the small coolant pipe that goes from the right front of the radiator hose to the back of the motor cracked (ok, not cracked, by this time it was completely broken). Now I'm almost halfway to the coolant pipe so I decided to keep going because it will fail and I have the part.

My opinion would be to make absolutely sure that the coolant pipe is where it is leaking and if it is, drive the beast and enjoy it and do the pipe later

kday - I can't answer your question directly since I have my engine out. I am planning to replace the coolant pipe as a preventative measure. I could take some pictures of the oil filter housing on my engine, and the work to remove the housing and replace the pipe so you can see better what you would be dealing with. Let me know if you want some pictures. I think I'll get to it over the next 2-3 days (got a couple other things going on).

BTW - I got the replacement pipe from James Bufkin on eBay, it looks good and comes complete with o-rings. The other seals needed for the job are available as a kit from autohausaz.com for about $40 - part number W0133-1806447.

Steve

search of this forum for bufkin shows several posts. Common problem with Audi 4.2V8's listed in ebay post.

this post is relevant, along with many others; http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22...ghlight=bufkin

one post describes how to replace $25 part without removing engine- difficult but achievable in A6.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...reinstall.html

Maybe too tight in RSs?

The famous plastic brittle oil cooler pipe ?

Yes, it is possible. I did that.

I think it is possible to replace in the RS6 but you do have a bit to remove, you were very close while doing the timing belt. The oil cooler lines underneath by the radiator need to be pulled too. I think there is 5 allen head bolts holding on the housing and they are very tight so you need to hold pressure inwards while loosening or it is common for them to get stripped and then it may be extremely difficult to get them out with the engine in the car.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Can be done with the engine in the car, it's tricky and you should use a new or high quality 8mm allen socket, they do strip and it sucks if it does

Just did my A6 4.2 yesterday. Here is a pic of the cooler. Have to support the motor as the oil cooler not only holds the alternator but is the right motor mount. Make sure you get all the seals you need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1135.jpg 
Views:	2244 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	12318

And definitely agree with vodeftones on the good 8mm socket, I almost stripped one with a socket that didn't quite fit. The upper front one I used a crow bar to force the socket in all the way while I wrenched on it.

Yup been down that road, I stripped the upper left one on an S8 once, tried the air hammer trick and the housing immediately cracked in half but I had already tried everything I could think of and knew It was my last hope but the housing at the time was only $400 but yeah, GOOD ALLEN SOCKET ALWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Just did my A6 4.2 yesterday. Here is a pic of the cooler. Have to support the motor as the oil cooler not only holds the alternator but is the right motor mount. Make sure you get all the seals you need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1135.jpg 
Views:	2244 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	12318

And definitely agree with vodeftones on the good 8mm socket, I almost stripped one with a socket that didn't quite fit. The upper front one I used a crow bar to force the socket in all the way while I wrenched on it.
    I am about to do this too, the engine is out which is nice but I am reluctant to disturb anything unnecessarily. the book says to remove the oil supply line and coolant pipe but the exhaust manifold hinders this, is there enough flex to change the pipe with just the mounting bolts removed?,

its all good, plenty of room to move the pipes out the way, quite straight forward actually.