I was interested to find out what kind of file consumption figures other RS3 owners are getting.

My overall average is 23.3 mpg (12.1 L/100 km). I live in London, so a lot of my driving is city-based. In fact, my consumption can drop as low as 12 mpg ( 23.2 L/100 km) which is scary. On long motorway trips cruising at 80+ mph, consumption goes down to 31 mpg. I have even achieved 35 mpg (8 L/100 km) on a 200 mile journey. I think this is due to a longer 7th gear on the S-Tronic box.

When you push the car, it is very thirsty.

Overall, however, the RS3 is an amazing machine and I love the engine. it has so much power that you don't use it most most of the time. When you do floor it, it simply demolishes everything else on the road (including an older Porsche 911 Carrera S - the guy was so surprised when I 'owned him', he stopped me a few miles down the road so he could inspect the RS3).

That said, if the next S3 has a 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engine that develops 250 bhp, but achieves an average consumption nearer 35 mpg (8 L/100 km), this may be a better option than an RS3 that develops 350 bhp but only does 25 mpg (11.3 L/100 km).

what about you?