Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a RS6... do you think this one is a safe bet

I have an SE exhaust; it's pretty quiet on the inside, but roll down the windows and go full throttle and it sounds pretty nice, but it won't sound wild or aftermarket by any stretch of the imagination.

that car was on my short list when I bought my RS6 last August; location, interior (I wanted white leather), and mileage put me off. Am I getting old or has the price been dropping as it has been sitting for sale for so long?

The front grille RS6 badge is not in the correct location, I wonder why? And with the car having been for sale for so long, I do wonder why previous prospective buyers have passed on the car. Pre-purchase inspection is a must.

If it all checks out, don't forget to do the MTM TCU reflash along with the ECU. From stock to Stage 1 is a huge jump in power. Stage 2 (from Eurocharged) is a smaller difference, felt really only on the top end.

The RS6 is the first automatic car in my entire life (past cars: '86 ur-quattro, '90 300ZX TT, '94 Sentra SE-R, '91 Skyline GT-R), and after learning how to drive automatic (yes, it takes a bit to learn how to get the most out of a slushbox), I don't really feel I'm missing much. I've never driven an RS6 without the MTM TCU reflash, but I can say I can't ever recall feeling I was in the wrong gear, or just a millisecond away from it with a click of a paddle.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

They are awesome cars. Just keep in mind that they take a little more maintenance $$ and time over your average Crown Vic. Ok, a LOT more. So don't stretch your budget so that you wind up with a really nice piece of yard art. I left 2k extra in mine when I bought it for the T/C but so far it doesn't look like it needs it

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    I left 2k extra in mine when I bought it for the T/C but so far it doesn't look like it needs it
    yet...
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Ain't that the truth Kevin! But at least I have a little pad. Seems like there is always money to be spent, and I hope someday to drive it more than I've worked on it!

Hello, first post for me. I have worked for Audi for about 3 years now and currently own an '01 B5 S4 because about 3 years ago, these RS6 cars were still getting near 30 grand which was way too rich for me (although I really-really-really wanted one).

Looking now, prices have dropped 10 grand or so BUT the mileage on them have risen...I figured I would *try* and find one just out of CPO warranty because any longer, the mileage and repairs needed would be too much....well this car you all are talking about from Chase Auto after several emails and phone calls--I bought it.

I was able to pull up all the history and verify CPO just ended mid-2010 with the trans, both turbo's and about 12 grand in parts worth replaced within 20K ago (just before it went out of warranty at 100K). I had the seller take the car into the local Audi Dealer for under-carriage pictures, timing belt inspection, oil leaks, etc. etc. and it came back with clean bill of health needing nothing (tbelt due in 20K). We agreed on $17K which I think is a really good price considering all the work done and the fact I wanted black on black. I'm on the west coast so its due to arrive via carrier by this Friday :-)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by TechGurru View Post
    Hello, first post for me. I have worked for Audi for about 3 years now and currently own an '01 B5 S4 because about 3 years ago, these RS6 cars were still getting near 30 grand which was way too rich for me (although I really-really-really wanted one).

Looking now, prices have dropped 10 grand or so BUT the mileage on them have risen...I figured I would *try* and find one just out of CPO warranty because any longer, the mileage and repairs needed would be too much....well this car you all are talking about from Chase Auto after several emails and phone calls--I bought it.

I was able to pull up all the history and verify CPO just ended mid-2010 with the trans, both turbo's and about 12 grand in parts worth replaced within 20K ago (just before it went out of warranty at 100K). I had the seller take the car into the local Audi Dealer for under-carriage pictures, timing belt inspection, oil leaks, etc. etc. and it came back with clean bill of health needing nothing (tbelt due in 20K). We agreed on $17K which I think is a really good price considering all the work done and the fact I wanted black on black. I'm on the west coast so its due to arrive via carrier by this Friday :-)

Adam
    Sounds like a good deal and welcome.

I'm guessing that you should have no issues working on it if you need to do it.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Sounds like a good deal and welcome.

I'm guessing that you should have no issues working on it if you need to do it.
    Thank you!
    Yes, employee cost on parts, near-free help from our Audi Technicians and being and X-Ford Technician are the only reasons I am even considering this car. I will write back once the car arrives. Chase Auto has over 200 (all positive) feedback selling cars on eBay, so I hope this one is a reflection of that.

....I bought it.
    Welcome aboard the...

210K miles rolled

Hello Techgurru, welcome to the forum ! I'm pretty sure you are going to enjoy your beast to the maximun, besides driving it you'll get the chance to work on it and get the things done the way you want ! not many of us can do that. I, for one, would like to really know how to fix this cars. I guess that might take a little aprehension off of owning one. You are in an excelent position to really enjoy your car. ¿ To run an RS6 for the price of parts?. priceless.

Thumbs up

Ok guys, the car arrived about 9 days ago... didn't want to jump on here until I had our shop detail it and due a full inspection because it came 2,970 miles on an open carrier! ...luckily, it was bottom row and against the cab!

It was so dirty I thought to myself what did I just do (it was that bad). $1050 for delivery was better on the pocket them $2500 for enclosed was my thinking. ...anyway

Our detail department spent a whole day on it and although there are small imperfections here and there, I'm happy with the condition buying it site-unseen...my cost $180. The battery was toast $175 my cost (I installed it); RF/LR DRC only had 2 bar in it (clunk over bumps).. my cost $15 bottle fluid and $20 to the tech, LOF $105 my cost. Power steering hoses to cooler slight leak $150 my cost + $20 to the tech. Brake flush due...another $20 to the tech. Driver seat rocks, my cost about $12 for bushings and I will replace at home in the garage. All 4 wheels curbed $200. ..Thats about it. Some dings here and there that I will pay PDR to due come this summer. The front bumper did have some minor work done to it at some point which is why I think the RS6 grill emblem was not in the right place..a 30 second fix to remove clip and position correctly.

So far everything seems to operate as designed. Its been pooring buckets here in Oregon, so as soon as there's a break, I will try and post pics!

Upgrades to come (probably in this order):
    Valentine One Radar Detector
    eBay RNS-clone DVD/BT Touchscreen radio head unit
    oCarbon Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Nice, other Oregon RS6! You should update your profile with location...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Don't lose sleep over the mileage pill. These are handbuilt engines that use the best of the best and as long as you properly maintain things, they will go strong for many many miles. I'm always surprised at the logic people have WRT mileage on vehicles. If you have a documented car that has high mileage, has great compression, and has had a host of mileage related maintenance done to it, they why would you bawk at it? These cars are in many instances (aside from things like seat wear) are in better condition than those that have yet to have any parts replaced. I'd take a car with 200+K with suspension, turbos, steering, brakes, tires, etc., all swapped out for newer parts over a 70-100K unit that has had none of that work done every day of the week and twice on sunday... Hey wait - I already did that....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

So many parts replaced means one of two things: It was a lemon, or it had an abusive owner who drove the crap out of it. Or it could be both.

I think it's a red flag - I'd stay far away from that car if it were my money. At the very minimum, I would advise you have a minimum $5,000 slush fund available to fix whatever goes wrong...

Edit: Oops. Guess you bought it. Good luck...
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

Ok guys, the car arrived about 9 days ago... didn't want to jump on here until I had our shop detail it and due a full inspection because it came 2,970 miles on an open carrier! ...luckily, it was bottom row and against the cab!

It was so dirty I thought to myself what did I just do (it was that bad). $1050 for delivery was better on the pocket them $2500 for enclosed was my thinking. ...anyway

Our detail department spent a whole day on it and although there are small imperfections here and there, I'm happy with the condition buying it site-unseen...my cost $180. The battery was toast $175 my cost (I installed it); RF/LR DRC only had 2 bar in it (clunk over bumps).. my cost $15 bottle fluid and $20 to the tech, LOF $105 my cost. Power steering hoses to cooler slight leak $150 my cost + $20 to the tech. Brake flush due...another $20 to the tech. Driver seat rocks, my cost about $12 for bushings and I will replace at home in the garage. All 4 wheels curbed $200. ..Thats about it. Some dings here and there that I will pay PDR to due come this summer. The front bumper did have some minor work done to it at some point which is why I think the RS6 grill emblem was not in the right place..a 30 second fix to remove clip and position correctly.

So far everything seems to operate as designed. Its been pooring buckets here in Oregon, so as soon as there's a break, I will try and post pics!

Upgrades to come (probably in this order):
    Valentine One Radar Detector
    eBay RNS-clone DVD/BT Touchscreen radio head unit
    oCarbon Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
    I need to know how to do this one also!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I need to know how to do this one also!
    Same here!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Me three!
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by PixieVC View Post
    ...Good luck...
    I vote Avatar of the year..;0 +1- Whatever Pixie posts
    210K miles rolled

Mine is for sale
    Low milage - around 33,000
    Original owner
    New Transmission last summer
    Actually new engine - so current motor less than 7500 miles on it - long story but new engine paid for by local Audi dealer after the engine died following their timing belt maintenance