Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a RS6... do you think this one is a safe bet

In the market for a RS6... do you think this one is a safe bet

Hey guys, first post here. Im a volkswagen guy, making the move over to audi. Was thinking to go b7 s4, for the manual, but ive long dreamt of a c5 rs6 so i think im going to make the automatic sacrifice. Anyways, The vehicle im looking at has 117k on the clock, carfax says everything is straight with the beast. Carfax, also says the transmission was replaced at 90k along with the engines rear main seal. ( thru the life of the vehicle it appears to have a ton of service and replacements from audi dealers as well) Im thinking the rear main and the newer trans sounds like a safe bet..I just want the opinion of you folks. Ill link the carfax for anyone interested as well. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys
    http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ECL_0

not much to go off of there. new trans is a plus. link to ad? price? colors?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

This may or may mean anything, but this car has been on eBay FOREVER (or at least it seems that way)

It scares the hell out of me seeing all of the things that have been replace. Granted I'm at under 70K still but wow. The rear main seal should have been done by any competent shop when they did the tranny R&R at 97K to save another tranny pull later. A lot has been replaced which is probably a plus. Tranny, power steering pump, upper control arms (will probably need lowers if it doesn't already), fairly new rotors, looks clean, DRC done. It does show radiator replaced in 1/06 and again at 10/06, different dealers too? I would like to see how it looks underneath to be sure, any impacts or obvious leaks? I know it's at a Porsche dealer but what about an Audi dealer or independent inspection?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I have noticed that the dealer has placed this rs6 on ebay several times. I live in Maryland where as the car is about 4 hours away from me. I was planing to go out and buy the car in place... but i inquired on shipping and was quoted $400 bucks which seems like an awesome deal to me compared to 8 hour commute. The way i was looking at it, all new parts = a big plus. I mean... that would be hoping its not a rolling lemon. They are offering a extended warranty of 4 years, for the price i was going to pay for it. Which... even though the dealership is ridiculously far away... i figured for $500 bucks i could have the vehicle shipped off back to them for repairs... which would seem worth it to me if something decided to go horribly wrong. I was thinking ( maybe hoping ) the rear main was done seperatly from the trans simply because the seal was caught at a differnt time then the trans.... i mean regaurdless its replaced now, I at least enjoy the fact that it looks like for the most part all work was performed by audi. Being an out of work mechanic ( out of work for quite a long time, because of a rediculous amount of points i incurred on my license when i was younger ) that i can handle 99.9% of any work that comes my way for just the cost of parts. What i dont want to be stuck with is a lemon rs6. I understand upkeep will be costly, but thats going to be the case with any high performance european car. Its just the price to play imo. That being said, and of you veterans see anything i should be terribly worried about. Thanks again guys, i really want to make the most out of purchasing my RS6, and from what i see on the boards, you folks are fairly indispensable.

If your getting it for close to the price listed on the internet with a warranty I would say go for it especially if you can do most of the mx yourself. What kind of extended warranty? Is this something you can't use anywhere else except for at that dealer? It would be an inconvenience to have a warranty that was only good at a dealer 4 hours from your house and what if you were on a cross country trip over a thousand miles away?
    Roy, WA

I know im beginning to put the chicken before the egg here a bit but as far as mods... I was thinking of making the 12 hour or so commute to Alabama and having APR install there ecu/tip chip ( as i contacted them and their dealers are no longer "allowed" to do it themselves, they say because of updates to their chip but... i believe probably just incompetence on some of the apr dealers behalf) and the RNS-E radio/nav. Besides starting a costly exhaust expedition, i think those two options sounds pretty excellent. What are your thoughts, as far as where to spend excess car funds? BTW: pretty pressed to get apr because i really stand behind their products and work. I have honestly not been let down once by their power or reliablity. Now this is only from experience with my 1.8t volkswagen, which has been through an incredible amount of beatin brutality and tons of miles, but also ive had a deal of experience on their 2.7t chip and other assorted go fast parts and have been more then satisfied. ( i mention this because ive read the chip threads here) Also the car i linked to earlier has the SE exhaust. Does anyone here have some video/sound clip of particularly what the 4.2tt sounds like with this option. Ive seen the s6 4.2 clips with the SE option, but i have a feeling the boosted 4.2 sounds a bit different, and Im just curious. Again, thank you guys. I hope to become a permanent annoyance/fixture on these forums soon enough.

Hey wagen!
    First off, welcome!
    These cars are very addicting!

Are you basing your search on what is closest to you OR what is in your price range?

Typically it is not always best, at least there have been some examples of that shown, to purchase the lowest mileage one you can find.
    There are also several examples that are 140k miles or more (Biggelzworth has one at 215k, MaxRS6 has one at 152k, Brav has on at 140k)

The 4.2tt has a different note that the N/A 4.2 due to the turbos, you will understand soon enough.

Depending on the state of the suspension, you might have to save that APR $$$$ for a new KWv3 or PSS9...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thank you! So i have heard about the suspension. I beleive the entire DRC system has been replaced by audi recently....not that it says much...and i have read time and time again on these forums that some of these higher mileage rs's are worth it. I know audi has the 4.2 down to a science and has for quite some time... so im somewhat trusting. Audi can build a solid 4.2 like chevy can build a 30 mpg 500hp pushrod v8. My main concern is the transmission. I feel safer knowing this car has had it replaced within the last 30k along with the rear main... now whether the trans was new or build from the scrap yard is a different story. Otherwise i have no problem working on the brakes, or suspension etc... at home. I just REALLY do not want to sink the cash or time into doing a transmission or pulling the engine for that matter in my back yard. I will if i have to, i have the knowledge and tools... but my back just doesnt want to lay on the ground for a nice dug in week long trans/engine pulling session.

also about how much to pss9's cost for this beast? I recall seeing a price tag of 2k for my jetta, and shying away quickly. I can only imagine what they cost for this mammoth

You can get them for that, of not a little less. I paid around 1850 for mine.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I was just emailed back by the dealership... the guy says the car has audi cpo im guessing referring to my warranty question... but isnt this vehicle way to old to qualify for an audi extended warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by wagensport View Post
    I was just emailed back by the dealership... the guy says the car has audi cpo im guessing referring to my warranty question... but isnt this vehicle way to old to qualify for an audi extended warranty?
    yes...I am guessing whatever "extended warranty" they are providing is worth next to nothing

Looks like DRC on 9/09 & Tranny on 2/10 both by Biener Nissan Audi who coindidentally I purchased my dailly drive tt from over the internet a few years back.
    Roy, WA

Does anyone know about this? Good idea or bad idea?

At a minimum, I would have them send the car to the nearest Audi dealership for a pre purchase inspection. You need some neutral party to inspect the car and validate conditon, look for leaks etc. If there is nothing wrong with the car the place selling it shouldn't hesitiate to take it there for you.

You'd have to offer to pay for the inspection but it is worth it if you ask me.
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood