Thread: Transmission failure - a new one?

Transmission failure - a new one?

So this week I noticed the smell of oil after a normal drive - also noticed a small 2 inch oil spot in the garage near the front of the car. Checked it and it was clearly differential oil ( ooh that smell). So I guessed I had a leak from a seal and since the front axle boots were fixed I thought maybe the seal was damaged. Then I drove it again and had a much bigger spot in a parking lot. Took it to the dealer and now I need a new transmission??!! Apparently the bearings are failed and that is causing the front differential leakage.

So questions for the group - do I go with the stock replacement from Fidelity? Do I replace anything else at my expense since they are going to pull the engine?

Anyone else had this type of tranny failure?

They gave me a 2010 TDI A3 - so I will save some gas money for a few days

Car just clicked over 75K miles

Just had a friend with a 02 a8 that his front diff locked up solid as he was driving it. He was slowing down and at about 15mph the car came to a very quick stop.

If fidelity is going to cover a new tranny, then go with it. See if the dealer will work with you on the TC. By that I mean if they'll allow you to get an ACE converter in it. I doubt it, but it's worth asking.

The diff is repairable. Especially if it's still moving.

As far as other items to do while they're there, things that need an engine drop are most pressing. This includes egt's, o2's, ect, but if your under fidelity for a while then don't bother.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

As part of my trans rebuild, I got an ACE unit.

FYI - they are out of stock on this, as such you will need to send in your unit for the rebuild. Not the most efficient setup if the dealer is servicing the car as it took over a week turnaround coast to coast for me.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

We talked about this before. The diff cover flexing too much. It needs a new diff seal and some shim behind the bearing or if it is really failed then a new bearing. $600-$800 tops with labor. Let's see how high they will bump it up.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    We talked about this before. The diff cover flexing too much. It needs a new diff seal and some shim behind the bearing or if it is really failed then a new bearing. $600-$800 tops with labor. Let's see how high they will bump it up.
    Well, the word back is that the only parts available include the whole transmission and front diff. So they are replacing it all including the torque convertor. I think the exended warranty just paid for itself. I am NOT complaining.

Imagine how much a warranty would cost if the shops wouldn't abuse it. A $600-$800 job will turn into a $6k-$8K job.
    05 Cayenne turbo