Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Typical life expectancy of RS6 alternator

Alternator off? Just do the regulator (I think it comes with the brushes). Did a Passat for $35 for the regulator when the dealer wanted $500 for an alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Alternator off? Just do the regulator (I think it comes with the brushes). Did a Passat for $35 for the regulator when the dealer wanted $500 for an alternator.
    The alternator has to be removed to get the regulator out. The OEM Bosch regulator goes for about 100 bucks. You can get the Asian version for 40. When I replaced mine, I used OEM. Yes, they come with brushes attached.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

If you just do the regulator, make sure that the alternator shop that does it spins it up and checks it before you reinstall.

Welp, mine just checked out. Thankfully the batt light came on as I was pulling into work, and I have a charger here. How long will engine last on a full charge, so I can take it somewhere? best source for new regulator? maybe I will DIY it, but its my only running car at the moment, need it fast!

edit: I got a quote for 5 hours of labor for this from one shop. Doesnt correspond with 1 hour out, 1 hour in. An alt repair place quoted $175 for rebuild with new regulator. I guess I will try to do it myself. Can I easily install a new regulator myself?
    Last edited by Brav; May 31st, 2012 at 20:00.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Try a local auto electric shop for the regulator -- it is a fairly common Bosch part.

I tried to find one, can't seem to locate a specific auto electric shop anywhere, via Google..

FWIW, I have 155k on my car, so I guess I got a lot of mileage out of my alt. I'm pretty sure its original.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

The last Bosch regulator/brush set I replaced was a piece of cake. Two screws, out with old in with new. Looks to be the same, but also a grounding screw. Big difference in price between OEM and Aftermarket, to where it almost pays to get a rebuilt alternator rather than an OEM regulator....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regulator..jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	12658
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

I can get an OEM alternator, 2 business days, for 400... from dealer (hookup). Maybe I should just do that. $100 vs $400..

Can the regulator be changed with alternator installed??

When I did my engine out work, I got a new regulator from KO Performance for about $55 (including shipping).

I don't think you will be able to remove the regulator with the alternator installed.

This pic sort of shows how it goes together. The regulator has been removed here:

I think even if you don't end up with a stripped screw like I did you would not be able to remove the screws and nuts holding the regulator in without removing the whole unit first.

Ok thanks. I think I'm dropping it off tomorrow at local shop as to get it back on the road quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    Salt. Ick.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Mine went bad at around 52k miles. I had it completely rebuilt locally for $150
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

New regulator in, but still no good.. apparently some diode on the alt must be replaced as well..

Diodes should have been part of the regulator I believe.....see previous post "Spin it up and check it before you put it back in". I've found that will save time,$$,your marriage or all 3. Good luck.

The regulator is separate from the diodes.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

So I replaced the voltage regulator, first one didn't work.. died in a few minutes.. back out, ordered another, put it in, and it seems to work. Not the Bosch unit.. maybe I am being penalized. But now it puts out good voltage, near 14 on the gauge, and 13.5 via vagcom. no battery or charging faults in the system.. but the batt light still shows.. is this normal? will it go away? My guess was that it should go away immediately after good voltage is going through the system. I guess I will test drive it for a few days and see what happens..

So its been 2 weeks, still same problem.. voltage good, no dying car.. but the red batt light still on. any takers??