Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard is it to get to the steering rack bolts?

Not that I recall
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    OK. Just to be clear.. There are 4 steering rack bolts.. only 3 are accessable.. The 4th really never comes loose..(thats the one you cant reach)..but its the other 3 that do.. and its the 3rd of these which I was referring to..
    Only 3 total rack bolts. 2 are accesible from the rain tray, one under coolant bottle and one under brake booster. 1 bolt points up from the bottom of the car which is covered by the covers shown in picture.

Drivers side has 1 up and 1 down, and passenger side has one down

Quote Originally Posted by yokust View Post
    You can do it on all other cars but the RS6, unless he cut a whole in the heatsheilds to get to the lower botl is the only way. I have done two racks on these cars, and bottom bolt is fully covered. Here is a pic of the manual of the covers over the rack.

Attachment 12079

And unless you remove the center and drivers side heatsheilds the lower bolt is not accesible.

On 4.2 n/a motors, 2.7t, and 2.8, they do not have those center covers to be able to access the rack bolts
    I have for second time had the steering rack bolts come loose at 45,000 miles, producing the charasteristic "groan" through the steering column at low speed when parking and not so much, but occasional groan when driving, when stress is placed on the steering rack mounting bolts by turning. The groans freak out the wife when driving the RS6!

First time was just after a transmission/engine pull and transmission replacement at 20,000 miles and the rack mounting bolts were not torqued up correctly by the dealer.: ( and only the two accesible bolts tightened up by dealer while engine in car, but I was not told that at the time!)

Second time now at 45,000 miles.

My indie mechanic could only tighten up 2 steering rack mounting bolts, with the one on the left hand side looking to the front very loose-finger tight.

Most likely the two (?) bolts that cannot be accessed without engine pull, are loose from the 20,000 mile installation and this results in outside accesible bolts coming loose with continous stress on the rack mounting.

If the Indie mechanic was of a simian flexible nature, he might be able get at the 3rd bolt that Aronis/Yokust/HyOctane speak of, but the 4th bolt needs the engine pull.

The lesson to be learned here is to double check that all four steering rack mounting bolts should be torqued correctly with new stretch bolts before the engine/trans go back in.

I have asked mechanic next time the two accesible bolts come loose ( and they will given the stress on the rack mounting) to look at drilling the heads of the bolts and wiring them after torqued up correctly.

Although a wonderful beast, such is life with a C5 RS6 when the Audi dealer mechanic screws up.

Talk about the 'Law of unintended consequences'! and 'Stitch in time saves nine'

Oh well, when the TC goes as it will, I can install an ACE converter, my 3" catless miltek down pipes and new steering rack bolts plus replace all the other sensors that you cant get at without an engine pull!

You dont have to be a masochist to be an RS6 owner, but it sure helps!

john

Again, I dont think there are 4 bolts, but 3. If there are 4, let's see a pic.

Also, a groaning would likely indicate a fluid issue. I would check, and likely replace the fluid to see what happens.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

There are three (3) bolts. They are a 12 point 10mm I think. Two (2) on the top, one (1) on the bottom.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I'll let you know for sure next week, my car goes to the shop tonight for the steering rack and....water/meth, coated headers/DP's, Scroll turbos....

My mechanic, who has worked on many Audi's, said the low speed groaning/shudder was the center dif wearing out.....I'll let you know if it goes away after the steering fix...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Gentlemen, thank you for your prompt post. Much appreciated. My indie mechanic was of the view that only three bolts holding the rack with the third lower bolt tightening/replacement, an engine out job.

I was just going off a previous post on the four bolts, but appreciate clarification.

The groan was not your typical power steering unit noise or slipping belt and it was not constant but intermittent.

Anyway, on tightening the two upper steering rack bolts today, all noise has gone away and sweetness and light has returned in this department.

Again thanks for the prompt posts.

john

Those top two are easy to get to. I just had a wrench on my top two last weekend while searching for the source of a slight noise up front. (they were still tight from two years ago.) The third is underneath and blocked by the engine.

Two out of three should be fine...

LOL..

Mike