Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: update on MAF seals by Apikol

update on MAF seals by Apikol

So I decided to take a look at the MAF seals my mechanic installed, in additon to other work. well I am not flaming a vendor, because Doug was nice enough to give me a set free. when I was removing my maf housing I notice the seal was 1/2 popped out, upon lifting on the housing the seal stuck to the housing and slipped right out. I pulled it off and inspected it as i had not had it in my hand prior. They are squishy, there is no metal ring in them. I placed on in the inlet and it slid right in, but it pulls right out..bummer.
    so i decided to attempt something, as the material will never wear llike the rubber. i cleaned the inlet lip, and cleaned the seal. I took 4 drops of super glue and carefully placed the seal back in, bingo..not budging.
    now for the good news, the seals thickness is beefy, as I have been testing logs between stock box and DBR CAI it took some hard pushing down to get them in, with stock box the mafs are tight as t..., well u know. Actually 1st time I did it, I did not have maf driver side all the way in, started it and stuttere stall. after realizing i had NOT had driver side seated all the way in, pushed hard the maf seated, they do NOT budge.
    I am going to keep them.....
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

my $25 solution is holding up so far.

doing some more testing, but so far so good.

hopefully, i can make a bunch up so that everyone with a RS6 does not have maf sealing issues with minimal $$.
    2003 RS6 - forsale

tease.......
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by terrytcl View Post
    my $25 solution is holding up so far.

doing some more testing, but so far so good.

hopefully, i can make a bunch up so that everyone with a RS6 does not have maf sealing issues with minimal $$.
    Pics of what you've come up with?
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

Time to revive this.....friggin MAFS...
    2013 Audi S8

Just put the MAF's in then slide the airbox on. Save your wiring and your seals.

Dont bother with the little philips screws? Just slip the box over the MAF's? I was wondering where to get the Apikol seals...googled to death and can't seem to find them...must be a secret...
    2013 Audi S8

Yep, the phillips attach the MAF's to the airbox but there really is no point to them. They just make taking the MAF's on and off a pain. They tear up the wiring (actually the heat tears up the wiring) but trying to put that box on with the MAF wiring hooked up doesn't help.

Try http://www.apikol.com . The MAF seals weren't on there when I ordered but just call. I tried their glue without much success, but the seal are good.

2013 Audi S8

I have had my maf seals in for some time (1st set test pig), and I have never had them pull out of inlet. And I was never using glue.

But I am also not running the stock airbox setup. I think the stock airbox might be the cause if the seals move around, since the box is not bolted down solid, it has the 3 rubber mounts that let it move around a bit

Right. And mine doesn't even have the rubber grommets in any more. I have been in limp mode with NO codes and NO CEL...aggravated now. My MAF numbers are low...highest is about 151...thinking I need 2 new MAF's...
    2013 Audi S8

Both MAF's low equally? Doubt they both would be low at the same time but who knows. No codes at all? Rich? Lean? Any more info?

Sorry guys..trying to upload my log from tonight...but no go...
    2013 Audi S8

My max on the MAF's together is about 230...I expect over 400 or so with my flash....my highest single MAF reading is 147...and they stay within 10% of each other too...

checked all my hoses..no leaks that I can visibly see or hear...had airbox off today...no vac hose leaks etc...again..NO codes and NO CEL's...and NO boost...
    2013 Audi S8

Well dang, no boost is like, well no s3x. I have no clue. No codes from VAG at all? Sux.

Unplug the MAF's and take it for a spin. The car will revert to a base map thru the map sensor only. And should drive almost normal, with boost and power.

Good call yokust...with EPC? light

EPC, and traction control, and cel should pop up soon as you start it with them unplugged