Thread: Check Your fluids - it's a 5 minute job :)

Check Your fluids - it's a 5 minute job :)

Hi

I've just finished taking out some samples of my PS and brake fluids for a visual inspection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_power..jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	11994

I don't know when the previous owner did any replacement and I definitely going to do it by myself next week as I'm addicted to the DIY hobby

I have a vacuum pump for the brakes and for the power steering fluid I'm just going to use the flush method (take out the old fluid, pour the new one, turn the wheels, repeat till clean fluid inside the tank) without disconnecting any hoses.

That is a good call. Maybe while the car is in the shop I should have my brake fluid checked.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Just did the PS fluid yesterday. Super easy with a suction pump. I ended up doing 3 flushes. Fluid looks really good now. It was like your pic above. PS pump was squeaking a little upon cold startup. Now silent.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Yep, it must be something with the time of year as I just recently replaced my PS fluid, brake fluid, rear diff and distributor gear oils. All old fluid was definitely quite brown bordering on black apart from the brake fluid which was still blueish (it was ATE racing blue fluid and about 2 years old).

What's distributor fear oil?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Is the brake fluid swap as easy as the PS fluid swap?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Is the brake fluid swap as easy as the PS fluid swap?
    Its pretty easy. You really need to bleed out the lines though. A power bleeder is ideal. As far as the resevior goes, take out the screen and suck out as much as you can. Then there's a little cap in the front of the resevior that you pop out, and suck fluid out of that too. Then power bleed, back brakes first.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    What's distributor fear oil?
    The oil that leaks from the driveshaft forward seal as per my DIY of the other day.

To do the brakes the best method any shop will tell you is a power bleeder. I have the Motive power bleeder and it has the VW/Audi/Porsche resevoir attachment. Stay away from the vacuum pumps to do the brake fluid. It is much better to push the fluid through the system than to try to pull it through, especially with the restriction of the ABS pump.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Just finished the power steering fluid removal. I must admit that I have flushed about 1,5 litre of the fluid and it was steel blash-ish just as in my photo !!! Need to by an extra 1ltr and do more flushing...

Maybe it was never replaced ??

PS. I think that I accidently added some air into the circut and the pump started to squeal like a pig and the reservoir "boiled". It looks ok now, but I was scared that I f* up something

Its fine.. just keep adding fluid. and crank the wheel back and forth. It will settle out.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."