Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 with 117,00 miles... is it safe to buy?

RS6 with 117,00 miles... is it safe to buy?

Hey all! I have a 2004 Audi S4 with 84,000 miles. I was thinking of the possiblity of trading it on an RS6 with more miles on it. The part I am worried about is the more miles, as it will be my main driver. I figure it would be better to drive around in an rs6 with many miles than few, but Is it safe to have that many miles on a daily driver? Will it last long if i take care of it? Here are the two I am looking at. I am priveleged to live 30 minutes away from these two: http://boothmotorsllc.com/
    both are on the inventory page on this site. Thanks for your insight!

I brought my RS With 92000 miles on the clock after part exing a q7 with 31000 miles, I have now taken my 6 up to 110000 as long as the car is well looked after and serviced regularly I do not think it is a problem..........just have a slush fund or warranty as a back up in case but I have found mine to be reasonably reliable apart from the major modifications I have done
    Good luck but don't be frightened by a high mileage one

Ok thanks...I am just worried about things like the engine stop functioning, needing a new transmission, and new turbos. I always worry about the expensive stuff and how those will be repaired.

Misano Red... Looks like the red one has had some work done. Best bet is to try and find the maintenance records. PPI might be a good idea if you have a dealer nearby or an indy you trust.

Most will tell you to pick up a warranty if you aren't gonna do the work yourself. But with high miles, its gonna cost ya... Thats if you can get one in the first place

Ok thanks for the insight. I was thinking the black one, as it only has 7,000 more miles than my current one. I was happy the dealer replaced the timing belt and water pump. What other work would be needed down the road, besides the 95,000 mile service? Also, how often must you replace timing belts?

I have heard 04 S4 4.2s can let go at 90k. Something about the timing chain guides.

If you have money in the bank the RS6 will be fine.

How much money now? I have heard some had $10k and I don"t even quite have half of that to spend on it. I hope that the fact that they replaced timing belt and water pump helps. Thanks for the insight

Are you mechanically inclined? It can save you thousands.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Timing belt, routine maintenance, have it checked out by a mechanic. If they aren't chipped your torque converter might be fine for a while still. Drive them hard, look for codes. Having 3-6k around for random repairs over the next year wouldn't hurt.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Both engines are prettty bullet proof mechanically. They both can have their electrical problems with age/heat etc... The S4 is a little easier to work on and mechanically simpler (no turbos, intercoolers, etc...). Parts for similar items (plugs, coils, filters, O2's) are similar. As mentioned, Mx records are important for any purchase that has mileage & time on it. The RS6 definitely has more power & Tq., much funner to drive & the mileage isn't much lower than a 4.2 S4.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The Misano Red has 117k and SHOULD have the timing belt done already (35k, 75k, 115k, add 40k miles each time)
    That would be an important question to ask...

Oh and aftermarket warranty...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    but Is it safe to have that many miles on a daily driver? Will it last long if i take care of it?
    I have to say that I'm always amazed on how frequently this question is raised. I can personally attest to the fact that you have NOTHING to worry about. Aside from the pathetic suspension system originally put in the car, it has no more or fewer problems than any other high end luxury car. The engines in these specific cars are all handbuilt and the best of the best. They will last for many years/miles if properly maintained. I have a daily driver that runs sub 12sec 1/4 mile and 0-60 is just over 3.5secs. It has over 225000 miles. Yes. That's correct. It is a fully documented car with all the service maintenance performed and has more new parts on it that its lower mile brother sitting in the next bay. Confirm/obtain all the service histroy records and make an educated choice. Best of success with your searching.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I just paid off my after lease buyout last month.

120,000 miles....

LOL

It's paid for...

Mike

Great hear Mike! You up and running after that windshield repair and water damage? MTM chip in the TCU?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I am in the denver area as well, and drove the rs6 with 95000 miles on it.... came very close to buying it. Until i found a private party rs6 with 70,000 miles for the same price. I also noticed in my test drives of 3 rs6s, the 95k car was not up to par... after the test drive, i peaked at the intercoolers, noticed oil all over them, and also noticed a gaping hole in the right i/c. I made boothmotors replace the i/c with a hole in it, simply by saying that they shouldnt be selling cars like that, well at that price at least. That rs6 has been there for months and months as well. Anyways just keep your eye out and be patient. I am now an associate at elevation motors (elevationmotors.com) and have access to dealer-only auctions here in denver. Let me know if you want me to look for something.

I drove the black one as well. It seemed to be in very rough shape...the previous owners ripped the on star out of it. And I am not to serious about buying, but it would be cool to see some rs6's coming through denver. If I got an rs6, I would have to trade my s4 listed above on it. Thanks for the info!

Hi, It's up and running. I have been busy with work and kids, but want to send the TCU box for the up grade. There was another thread where people are talking about problems getting a hold of the shop in Florida (blanking on the name)?hoppen? I'll get to it. I'm planning on TCU/ECU/Hotchkiss sways but holding on that until I get the intercoolers replaced (one leaking a bit). Just licking my financial wounds after a big summer project putting in a pool....saved big bucks but spent about $30,000....DIY 16 x 32 in ground...etc....

summer project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1443..jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	11906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1442..jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	11907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1743..jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	11908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1739..jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	11909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1723..jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	11905