Thread: Detroit Free Press: "RS6: Civilized, until you hit the gas..."

Detroit Free Press: "RS6: Civilized, until you hit the gas..."

"Audi RS6: Civilized, until you hit the gas "

but

"could afford to be ruder..."

http://www.freep.com/money/autorevie...9_20031009.htm
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

My reply

Here's text of an email I just sent to Mark Phelan, the Detroit Free Press auto critic who wrote the article:

As a local RS6 owner with 7,797 miles to date, I found your article to be mostly on target, including criticism of its high price. In fact some of us are a bit irked at Audi of America because when we ordered the car last year, exclusivity was a big part of the price rationale. Only 960 will be brought to the U.S., we were told. Audi has since increased the number by about 25%, thus eventually increasing the supply at resale time -- which could reduce resale prices.

Still, as you write it is an "extraordinary sedan," and in my case at least I have no complaints about tire noise from my Pirelli Pzeros -- certainly not while on smooth asphalt. Some RS6s in the U.S. have different tires, I've heard; what about the one you drove?

I also appreciate the standard all wheel drive, which isn't available even as an option from the competition. AWD adds considerable safety in any weather, and the fact that I paid more than the competition is, to me, partially justified by the AWD. As for the RS6 being "neither a BMW nor a Mercedes," BMW's M5 is out of production (with a few left in the dealer pipeline) and Mercedes quality appears to be on the wane if J.D. Powers is correct.

Finally, while you find "the RS6's driving manners...a little too polite" for such a performance car, I consider that to be a strength. If my "beast" really acted like a beast when I am driving around town, I wouldn't be able to use it for my daily driver. In addition my petite girlfriend might be too intimidated to drive it, which would mean no other driver on long trips.

I'm curious: If the RS6 was priced a little lower and the one you drove didn't exhibit so much tire noise, would you still have given it only three out of four stars?

I was surprised that Mr Phelan believed that the suspension is electronically controlled!
    03 RS6 Avant - Daytona Grey, Silver Leather/Alcantara :)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by peterb
    I was surprised that Mr Phelan believed that the suspension is electronically controlled! [/QUOTE

Good point -- I missed that! BTW he called this morning, said he thought my note was a good one & asked permission to publish it in the paper. I agreed after we had some discussion re the quantities of RS6s heading to the U.S.

He said he spoke to "the guy in charge of the RS6 program" at Audi last week, and the guy said they were topping out at 1,000 cars. That's a bit different from what my AoA Owner Advocate told me, also last week, which was that they were sending a little over 1000 cars here and that 1200 was probably about right (but he said AoA was not releasing a precise number).

Still, the difference isn't huge, and who am I to argue with "the guy in charge of the RS6 program"? Mr. Phelan gave me the impression he would clarify the numbers in my letter if it's published. So if the impression given in this widely read paper is that Audi is bringing only 1000 cars here, that's OK with me because it has less potential than a higher number for driving down prices at resale time.

BTW I was a little groggy when he called -- I'd just gotten out of bed -- but I think he asked me for a ride!

I got published!

Today's Detroit Free Press published an edited version of my email (above); it's in the paper as well as online. I wonder if it's as coherent as it was above?! Here's the link; let me know what you think!

http://www.freep.com/money/autorevie...6_20031016.htm

Re: I got published!

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    Today's Detroit Free Press published an edited version of my email (above); it's in the paper as well as online. I wonder if it's as coherent as it was above?! Here's the link; let me know what you think!
    http://www.freep.com/money/autorevie...6_20031016.htm

Cool! Taking time to write what you think sometimes pays.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    Here's the link; let me know what you think!

Nice quote, made sense.