Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apikol goodies on the way!!!!

Apikol goodies on the way!!!!

Got my email confirmation that my air intake will be here this Wednesday the intercoolers will follow shortly after. Halloween is my SO's favorite holiday so who am I not to help her celebrate it with some gift giving.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Don't forget the rear diff mount!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Get that the next time around
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq

I love the rear diff mount but I'd have to say that I'm not sold on the intake design. It has been discussed here before but it definitely appears that the intake would take in a lot of engine hot air which at times may cause the engine to loose power.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

It was dyno'd with proven results by Yokust. The only time it will take in engine bay air is when you are not moving.
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq

+1, since DBR is same, i spoke with Hans dahlback about fliter design, he said it was designed with racing applications in mind. His r&d on it showed gains, and yes when car is moving, especially at high rates of speed plenty of air is coming in, in addition to the air ducts mated to the filter face. My car has been dyno'ed but isn't relevant, do to other set up in the DBR kit.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

One thing also to remember about the intake, is that YES it may bring in some hot air off the motor.

But its bringing in a larger amount of air that the engine actually NEEDS

Congrats Ron. Cant wait to see it. Are they shipping directly to you?
    they call me Tank

One thing to be weary of is using a K&N (poor quality) or equivalent gauze/oil style filter.. they do not filter as well as paper!! Much higher chance of cylinder wall scoring, contaminants, etc. Many cases have shone that the reason you have increased flow is a decrease in filtration.. not so much having an "open" system without an airbox. In the case of my M6, we left the stock airbox and added ram-air, and replaced the filter elements with BMC filters. This had the greatest gain. Although we were still at risk with that style of filter..

I would search for a paper cone filter replacement maybe? Just my $.02.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I ran BMC on my cl65 and they came on the FMU..great filter. But I assume(keyword) the k&n is oiled and traps enough fine particulates, no?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

I would take BMC over K&N all day. But in general, a gauze/oil filter will never filter as well as a good ol paper filter. However, Gauze style filters will fitter better over time, as they trap more dirt.

""In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC air filter, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt.""

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I hear ya, but I googled as well and found too many independent sites to count that state otherwise. On the V forum, and that platform has been around for 8 years, many a lunatic modded cars, a huge majority use K&N and never reported a problem. The tuners and fabricators, from hennessey, lingefelter, halltech, KDI, ECS, new era, and on all use K&N.

It's easy to screw the k/n's up, I do not believe in cleaning and re oiling, just chuck and buy a new set after 10k miles.

Remember not all cars use MAF's too. Some of the older injected cars use the flapper door air flow sensors and some of the newer ones use MAP sensors which won't get fouled by a little bit of oil. I'm not sure how much extra dirt they flow than OEM but I'm not willing to take a chance anymore. I have a K&N cone on my '93 engined '74 911, and on my '86 944 Turbo track car but those are both the barn door sensor cars and I'm not worried about fouling and I clean them often enough and use the K&N oil (which would foul a MAF) to catch penty of dirt.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by dynasty23 View Post
    Congrats Ron. Cant wait to see it. Are they shipping directly to you?
    Yes....Got here today so if it is raining tomorrow Ill take the train up and get the car and put it on when I get home.
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq

Installed the air intake tonight when I got home. Took me about an hour. The driver's side MAF is not as snug fitting as I thought it should be...have to Vag it and make sure there isn't anything funky going on.
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq

Congrats Ron, how do is it feel? Sound any diff?

Any pics please ?