Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: OnStar Redlight

This OnStar redlight issue is pissing the "F$%^" out of me. Earlier today, just when I needed the onstar, it kept on disconnecting when there was an emergency need for help. For everyone who's got OnStar redlight issue and do not worry about it, I highly recommend you give it a second thought about it. Expect the unexpected... Just my 2 cents.
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

I think the only time the On* system worked fine was when at the dealer they showed me the option.
    Couple times I tried to use it on my own, it never connected. Thus, when it came time to renew it, I said 'no thanks'!

I have been using the cell phone function of the ONstar system for a year, and it works flawlessly even with the red light...

Also, I have called OnStar a few times and it has always worked despite the light.

If I crash And the main battery Goes AND I am in the middle on Nowhere, it doesn't matter, there will probably be no Cell service there anyway for Onstar to call out with..

Mike

This may have been covered in a previous post, but I'd be interested to hear from Mike or anyone else whether your OnStar phone button still works, even after your OnStar minutes are used up. Mine does, and I'm guessing it works through my phone in the armrest cradle. Can anyone on this forum without the phone still make calls with no remaining minutes?
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

If you have the Audi Cell phone and is connected via the proper cradle, the phone button uses the Cell phone transmitter instead of the On Star Transmitter.

I would have hoped that the cell phone in the cradle would use the OnStar's full power cell phone instead, but from what I have been told it's the other way around. The Handsfree setup then simply uses the hand held cell phones phone number directory and memory and it's transmitter to make the call, thus a low 0.6 watt instead of the full 3 watt in the Onstar built in cell phone.

So if you have no Cell Phone minutes left (voice command 'Units' and then "Verify"), you should not be able to make cell phone calls using the white dot button, but I believe the OnStar emergency button would always work even if your account is closed. The Star Button would require an account.

I am not sure if the Onstar Unlook-my-doors-because-I-am-an-idiot thing works via the cell network or if the command is transmitted via satillite but I suspect it's all via cell phone network.

I wish this $85,000 car had a decent cell phone setup independant of the On-star with a handset and a numeric key pad.

Mike

Is there a procedure to code out the on-star back-up battery? I have the 01531 code now and it threw the MIL on.

I also have the 00862 code...open circuit on the antennae, hard to think the antennae is bad as the radio works fine still....and the new RNS-E has it's own puck antennae.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

You can code out the Onstar (Telematics is what you are looking for). Also, the lithium battery backup is under the front portion of the carpet in the passenger footwell, inside a styrofoam/plastic holder and can be un-plugged and removed. I'll have to look up my coding in Vagcom as I removed mine 5yrs ago at least. I used the puck antenna for the RNS-E for a couple of years but then switched to the Sharkfin, no better reception I just figured why use and extra antenna when the car already has one installed. Once again, the Onstar module, down by the Onstar battery has a GPS antenna going to it. If you pull the carpet back further the GPS antenna goes under the floor on the passenger side, you can cut a couple pieces of tape where the GPS antenna is taped to a wiring harness and get enough slack to run it up the passenger side of the center console by where your knee would be and run it into the back of where your radio/RNS-E is.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA