Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OnStar Redlight

OnStar Redlight

Has anyone else besides "nene" and "iconcls" had a problem with their OnStar light turning red and staying red? OnStar told me when I called that I needed to take the car in but it was good to know that the service still worked.

This has been touched on in one of my other threads but was off of the subject of that thread so I thought since there were others having this problem I would post a new thread about it and see what has been done.
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

re: OnStar Redlight

sturs6
    Yep, had the same thing happen to me. Took my car in for the XM install last week and that went fine. Was so interested in the XM, that I forgot about other variables in the car. Next evening, I noticed my on star light was solid red. Did what you did, called in and was told by on star that I had to take it in to the dealer. Did that the next day whereupon the dealer did a review of the maintenance and also called on star. The service tech told me that they corrected the problem (the light is again a too bright green!) and that the tech was told to "reset a battery within the on star system" and that on star then "reset this particular system for this car"? In any event, it does does seem to be working properly. As I'm headed off on a long trip, I sure hope it continues to work. Hate to be out in bum, you know where, central U.S. with no service.
    Looks like a trip to the dealer!

FEVR

Mine is fixed per the SA

I'll be picking mine up tomorrow from the dealer, I'll post what the service ticket reads.

Here's my diagnosis

"Cause: Shorted Battery"

Fix: "Remove and replace Telematics battery"

So far, so good, I'm back to steady green on my OnStar LED

re: in regard to the diagnosis

Icon

Thanks for the update. Confirms what Schaumburg Audi tech told me too. However, they did not "change" my battery, only removed and reset the system. Said they'd have to order and change it if it winds up malfuntioning again. I'm interested in the other work you might have had done that might have caused this malfunction. I think mine was related to the install of the XM (both systems have the transducers/transponders in the shark fin I believe) Did you have any other electrical service performed?

LOL on the S500's.. What a boring guy I was!!!!

FEVR

iconcls

Good to hear that you got your ride back and that everything is a ok with it. I am hoping mine is the same problem. How long did you have to leave the car?
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.

thanks for info

I will call the dealership and make sure they have a battery ready to install. Maybe I can even do it myself.

FEVR,
    You bring up a good point, I noticed my solid red OnStar light shortly after the install of my XM tuner. Now, if it was red immediately after the install, I can't say, because, well, I'm so spaced-out half the time it takes me "awhile" to notice things

sturs6 and nene,
    I dropped off the car and was expecting to just have them "throw" the battery in and I'd be on my way. But, the SA said it was actually a bit involved and this was their first time goofing with the OnStar system and they needed some time, so he gave me a loaner.

Sidebar: Don't go from an RS 6 into a B6 A4 3.0 and FORGET you just left about 300 hp at the dealer and attempt to merge into briskly moving traffic. DOH!

They were not even sure where the Telematics stuff was; in any case, the car was ready the next day.

Sidebar: Don't go from an RS 6 into a B6 A4 3.0 and FORGET you just left about 300 hp at the dealer and attempt to merge into briskly moving traffic.
    iconcls,
    Thanks for the sidebar.

I am having the Sirus Radio put in the day I bring it for OnStar service so that was not my problem.

Fixed

I brought my RS6 in this week and had to leave it for two days while I drove a 1.8T Q. The only thing about this was that I had to leave the car for two nights after I tok you guys advice and told them what the problem was and asked them to order the part and also the Sirus radio part so that I would not have to leave it over night but they did not.
    Oh well it is back now and and the light is shining brighter than ever. But they did not order the Sirius part so now I have to bring it back when it comes in because I told him I am not about to leave it over the weekend.

Hate to resurrect an old thread but...

My "repaired" OnStar LED has gone back to solid red

You know.....I just noticed it, mine is red too? Didnt even think it was a problem. Cone to think of it....I dont ever remember it being green, XM or not. Well time to call the dealership
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

iconcls& Bauer,
    I am sorry to hear about that from the looks of some previous replies I have a feeling that I could quiet possibly be back at the dealership in a few months. This time I know what the problem is so I will not have to leave it over night.

re: OnStar Redlight

All
    Just an addendum that my OnStar light is still green and system working fine. No problems across the country and working fine in Tucson after 1800 mile journey. Did have two occurrences of failed driver side low beam when turning the car on and turning on the lights. Once after a car wash and the other random after a dinner out? Turning car off, pulling key and waiting approx 1 minute reset the system and the headlight went back to working? Happened early after my arrival. Any other experiences?
    FEVR

After bringing the car in to have the Phatnoise installed the service department called and said I had to choose between Sat or Phat and I chose Phat...
    Well after the Sat had been installed a few weeks ago the OnStart light became red again, some of you understand... anyway after they uninstalled the Sat and installed the Phat the light turned green again. Now I have a green light and a Phat system.

It is kind of like Christmas in the car with the red and green lights.

I want a red light. That green is annoying at night. Let me know how to do it.

Mine too

Started green, then red, took to dealer who said new back-up battery was needed. They ordered, later installed, green ever since. End of story.

New story: Tomorrow will be fourth day at dealer, three of them waiting for plugs.

Oh, well ... at least I've got a loaner.

GMBHOUSE,
    I can help you with the green light issue but it will cost you...
    Go to your dealer and ask them to install the Sat radio system of your choice and you will instantlly get a red light and your OnStar service will still work.