Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: OnStar Redlight

I went by my dealer this afternoon and it just so happens that a German Audi Tech is in town for some sort of audit and I am meeting with him tomorrow. I am going to print out the entire thread and try to get a total of those that have the red light issue. I think wha tI may do is start a new poll thread for US owned RS6's the polll would be ...
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

After talking to JaxRS6 a few days ago I wanting to find out a little piece of info from other owners.

Those with the redlight problem do you or have you ever heard a white noise type hissing sound coming from the B-Pillar on the passengers side?
    Those of you without the problem have you heard this noise?
    -Stuart
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.

No noise, just the red light...

Otherwise the on-star works fine.

You know, I was talking with a friend who bought a Saturn Vue, and the price for the On-Star option was $2000.00..I Could not believe that! For $2 Grand there should be a GD keypad to dial the phone numbers.....

Mike

RE: OnStar Redlight

Stu
    In previous posts within this thread, I did mention that one of the first things I started to hear and investigate was that "hissing" sound from the b pillar, passenger side. My audi tech who is going through this issue with me and AOA told me that there is a delay while the system shuts down and that the speaker is still active for a short time. Actually, when mine (speaker) goes totally inactive, I hear a pop! :bigeyes:
    So, I'm now on third week since the second total reinstall of a new system, and all is green
    A new, "simple" poll might help more quickly quantify the results for sure.

FEVR

Took my car in for the 15K mile service.
    Explained to them that the On-Star system was no functioning, and neither was the navigation. Both have been fixed, and my On-Star light is now green. Let's see how long that lasts.

Could it be that if you stay red for too long, as I was for over 7 months, the Nav will stop working? I'm waiting on the paperwork from the dealer to find out.

Re: RE: OnStar Redlight

[i]A new, "simple" poll might help more quickly quantify the results for sure.[/B]
    Someone already started a poll, altho I see you're already in it. You seek a different approach, maybe?

http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=4197

Re: RE: OnStar Redlight

Originally posted by RS6FEVR
    Stu

A new, "simple" poll might help more quickly quantify the results for sure.
    FEVR
    What do you want the poll to say? I will start it...

re: OnStar Redlight

Stu

I forgot about the poll Jax mentioned above! I was thinking along those lines when I mentioned a "simple" poll and forgot about it.

FEVR

Was Green, now Red

Question:

Did anybody think to have a dealer just rip the damn onstar thing out of the car? Is it possible?

I've got red now and I'm not interested in the 13 visits to the dealer like a bunch of you guys have done!

JKN

My on-star light has been red for the past 6 months, in fact since I had the car for less than one month!

There is no functional consequence of this since it is probably just the bad backup battery for the onstar. It works fully otherwise as a cell phone, etc.

Leave it red! Matches the interior better and is less blinding at night!

Mike

Red is fine with me.....

That's fine with me to leave it red. so, you've had no consequences?

I personally don't care what color it is, but I hit the onstar thing, asked the person on who answered "audi telematics..." and they said to go into a dealership asap to have fixed..

I presume they'd want to have the green light.. maybe it makes me feel more confident in their service...

Fact is, I don't care for the concept much personally... it just came with the car... I didn't have a choice..

thanks for reply

JKN

I check my car with VAG-COM to look for error codes, none seen...so as long as the engine light does not show I think the ON-Star system is just over reacting to something else.

Thus the bad battery theory!!!!

Mike

I have since had my third Telematics unit installed. I am green for now. I was told this one will not have any more problems. Why you may ask? They have gotten this one from Michigan and not from the parts bin somewhere else I am told. They also said Audi knows of the problem and this is why they have given me this "secret unit". I said they should know of the problem we have been complaining for months now.
    I want to do a pole here because now that they have put this new unit in my white noise in the passenger Bpillar has returned which is what happened in the last two units and I think they may be connected but I wanted to see if any of you other redlighters have this problem. look for b-pillar noise for the pole
    -Stuart

Does less bright green = successful fix???

My OnStar had its fifth red light incident in May, and I do want it to work if I ever end up in a remote area wreck that disables the car battery. So, I went to (FL) dealer, who finally had some factory help aside from "replace the backup battery" advice. This time the work order says 'INSTALL ONSTAR BUTTON AS PER RON H," who is the AOA rep for the area.

That was June 4 and the green light is still on. In fact it's a bit different -- not nearly as bright (and annoying) as before. Don't know if that's related to the problem, but the fact that something is different & it's still working is encouraging.

Also, I no longer get white noise from the passenger side B pillar, which was happening before I took it in.

Could it be they've finally found a fix?!?!:bigeyes:

Time will tell....

onstar redlight

Sheesh,
    I was hoping the second time would be it. The darn thing turned red again this week. I have to go deal with audi of rochester hills again. Hopefully this will be the last fix.
    On another note, I will be adding my 19inch wheels next week. HRE informed me that 18inch would not clear the wheels like they thought it would. I have new tires coming too, if I can get the michelins in time, I will use them, otherwise I will be getting Rossos.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

Re: onstar redlight

Originally posted by noushy
    HRE informed me that 18inch would not clear the wheels like they thought it would.
    Who is HRE? Also, please clarify; not sure what you mean by "18inch would not clear the wheels."

I bought my beast at Rochester Hills and now that I'm back in Michigan, will be visiting there for 25K mi oil change in a month or two. I may hook up with Mr. Piggie, who has been visiting here after his move to Minnesota & may move back. Let me know if you'd like to get together; ditto anyone else in Detroit area.

Meeting up with Jax

Sorry Jax,
    I didn't mean to change the subject. HRE is a wheel manufacturer, www.hrewheels.com, check it out if you are interested. I wanted to upgrade to a modular wheel, but unfortunately the brakes are so large that they will not clear the HRE 18 inch wheel, need 19 inch or larger in a modular wheel. The factory 18 inch works because it is cast, 1 piece wheel with more space inside the wheel. As for the red light thing, it is going in again next week. And yes, I would like to try and meet up with all the rs6 folks in the Detroit area. You can email me at noushyk@hotmail.com and let me know what you guys have planned. Maybe we can even do a group write up or something.

Later
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

Onstar Redlight ...

Well, I guess I'm really part of the club now, my Onstar red light came on today and won't go off. Does that make me a senior member? Still, at least I got this thread back on topic
    2003 RS6 Sound-Enhancing Exhaust/Nav/Carbon Fibre/Avus Silver
    Ford F350 Dually (525lb-ft. of torque!)
    Previous all-wheel drive cars: Mitsubishi 3000 GT-VR4, 2 x Range Rover, Peugot 405 MI16-4x4