Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that you have had your RS6 for a little while?

Now that you have had your RS6 for a little while?

What options (USA) do you wish you had?
    I may be upgrading from my 02 S6 Avant.
    For those of you that have leased, what are the numbers?
    TIA
    REV

Just the Navi+, the Recaros aren't as comfortable as the current RS6 seats (sat in B6 S4).

Originally posted by AvusRS6
    Just the Navi+, the Recaros aren't as comfortable as the current RS6 seats (sat in B6 S4).
    I think the RS 6 and S4 Recaros are different, the S4 seats felt tighter and more restrictive than the RS 6 does. Better for backroad thrashing though!
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

I have all the options aviable to US buyers and I am glad I do. I use them all from nav to warm weather pkg. I do however wish the car came with the european Recaros as the seats IMO suck!!! they put my right leg to sleep on long trips. Just for you info I am 6'4" 230lbs so my complaints may not fit others. I am considering buying the Recaros for @6K (ouch!) for the whole set. Just working through the mental process.... whats 6K when you spent 90K?!?!?:eye:

Other than that the car is awsome!!!
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

What options (USA) do you wish you had
    I wish that someone had reminded me that even here in the Northeast, black interiors do get d@#m hot! Love the look of it but wish I had gotten the warm weather package. Had the Nav in an allroad but I wasn't a fan and don't miss it now. The rumble without the upgraded exhaust is still verry nice .

Originally posted by Bauer
    they put my right leg to sleep on long trips.
    OMG...I thought I was the only one with this problem on long trips and I only weight 165-170

I do however wish the car came with the european Recaros as the seats IMO suck!!! they put my right leg to sleep on long trips. Just for you info I am 6'4" 230lbs so my complaints may not fit others. I am considering buying the Recaros for @6K (ouch!) for the whole set. Just working through the mental process.... whats 6K when you spent 90K?!?!?:eye:
    Is it safe to assume that you've experienced the RS6 style Recaro's before you pop the 6K for them? If not you may want to think that one through a bit more IMHO!

I have not but they appear to be similar to the seats I have in my S8. The side bolsters top and bottom and the leg support all appear to be similar to my S8 which I love. Lets put it this way they are the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE seats I have ever had in a long list of Audi's and I would almost be willing to gamble it couldnt be worse.

unless of course you have some helpful experience? If you do please help if you would?
    Bauer

01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

I have not but they appear to be similar to the seats I have in my S8.
    If the US S8 seats are the same as the Euro ones, I'd say the RS 6 Recaros are about halfway between the new S4 and the S8 in terms of support and comfort.

The RS 6 Recaros have an extendable thigh support, but unlike the S8 seats, the front and rear height are not adjustable separately.

I like quite an odd driving position - seat base quite low, back upright and quite close to the wheel (so I can get a good hold of the wheel for cornering fun), but as I'm over 6' tall, this means I end up too close to the pedals, and with no support under my thighs. In the S8, I would 'fix' this by tilting the seat base slightly up at the front and extending the thigh support.

In the RS 6, the height adjusts the whole seat base height. The mechanism makes it move slightly backwards as it moves down and slightly up as it moves up, however I've found that at it's lowest settings (better to be nearer the centre of gravity!), the seat base is too level and the thigh support extended fully doesn't offer much support unless I'm further away from the wheel than I care to be. So, I extend the thigh support out about 1/3rd of the way and it offers some support that way. It's not as bad at the A6 was, that really didn't offer any support of the legs and my heels bore the brunt of the weight and I ended up with hard skin on my right heel and it used to get quite sore after a long drive.

Finally, the plastic covers on the runners and guides squeak over bumps on the very lowest height setting - taking the seat up 1/4 of an inch cures this, but it's a bit unusual for Recaro to make a seat that has this kind of little flaw.

Adjustable pedals, or distinct front & rear seat base height adjustment would cure all this, which is extactly what the S8 had. If you can find some way to get a set of S8 seats into the RS 6, I guess that would be ideal. That car was the comfiest I've ever driven, even the new A8's 12-way seats aren't as good IMHO.

Now
    +-------
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE

I just love the Recaro seats in my S6, which are identical to the RS6 Recaro's.

Although it feels hard, it turns out to be the most supportive seat and thus most comfortable on long journeys, seat I ever sat my butt on.

I suffer from lower back problems and my S6 Recaro's are the only seats which allow me to do 1450 km (900 miles) with stops only to feed myself and the car.

Soft seats are bad for your back.

For small persons, the S6/RS6 Recaros do not offer enough lateral support.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

I have not but they appear to be similar to the seats I have in my S8. The side bolsters top and bottom and the leg support all appear to be similar to my S8 which I love. Lets put it this way they are the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE seats I have ever had in a long list of Audi's and I would almost be willing to gamble it couldnt be worse.

unless of course you have some helpful experience? If you do please help if you would?
    The standard seats that I had in the A6 4.2 were more comfy than the seats in the US version RS6 especially on trips but the RS6 seats provide much better lateral support. I have not experienced the Recaro RS6 seats so can't provide any useful data or opinions on them.

The Brit's comments should be quite helpful though.
    Last edited by JP4; October 10th, 2003 at 14:07.

JP4- thanks for the input I do appreciate it as the RS6 seats do bother me.

Brit- I am trying to gage if I should up grade the seats and I and very thankfull for your information.

couple of questions

1. could you rate the S8 seats 1 to 10 and rate the RS6 seats 1 to 10.

2. Let me get this straight. The front and rear of the seat dont have seperate adjustments? I.E. cant lower back bottom to floor and raise front botton to increase the seat angle? Its all one movement?

3. Are the seats as comfortable as the S8 seats as far a cushion quailty and lateral support?

Thanks for your input and sorry is some of this has already been anwsered. Its just that you and I have a frame of refrence in both owning S8's which can help
    Bauer

01 S8

seats

Bauer--you are making me nervous! I have no problem with wifes S8---I will hope RS6 seats are OK--never expected to hear RS6 seats are inferior!! Have a BAD back myself--I hope to take delivery 10-29-03--You will hear me crying down in Calif!!

couple of questions
    1. (a) S8 seats 10 - most comfy car seats I've ever sat in
    1. (b) RS 6 seats - 7 or perhaps 8. Just not as good as the S8

2. That's pretty much it - the seat base height adjusts with one control, no separate front and rear height adjust. IIRC (and without rushing outside to look), RS 6 seat controls are slide front/rear, height up/down, back tilt forwards/backwards and lumbar in/out (not up/down as well like the S8). Of course, the UK spec doesn't have seat memory and there is a slight possibility the memory seats are different, but I doubt it.

3. Cushion quality is about the same. Lateral support is slightly improved, the seat is slightly wider than the new S4's is, but with similar sized bolsters. Doesn't grip me quite tight enough to prevent a little bit of sliding about, but doesn't feel restrictive like the S4. The back support is firm, but as noted, lumbar adjust is less capable than the S8.

The leather seems to be a little bit harder than the S8 was, the bolsters are showing the first faint signs of wear after 22,000 miles. They will need treating with leather conditioner more than the S8's seats did.

Finally, I don't know if you get this problem, but in the A6 I ended up with my right heel making a hole in the carpet mat due to lack of thigh support (leg weight resting on heel). It didn't happen in the S8, but the RS 6 is showing the first little sign of a dimple starting to form in the mat.

Now
    +-------
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE

coopsrs6,

The US spec seats in the RS6 are the same seats as come standard with the S6 or the sport seats in the A6

seats

Thank you for your input re/RS6 seats. I will see soon enough how I like them

Brit-

Thank you VERY much for the info and yes my S8 shows no wear on the carpet after 47,000 miles. I have only 4300 iles on the RS6 so it is a little soon to tell but could see it happening.

coopers6-

Sorry I am not trying to worry you. The back support and lumbar adjustments work very well. I have had no back problems just my right leg falling asleep after about 1 to 1.5 hours driving. I believe it is because of the lack leg support I get under my thigh because the seats are too shollow and have no "pull out" for more support. The S8 has the pull out and the lower side bolsters are better disigned IMO. I LOVE the S8 seats and I agree with the Brit that they are a 10. Also, as I have stated before I am 6'4" 230lbs so thigh support is important for me.

Some people love the current RS6 seats, I just don't, maybe because I have been spoiled with the S8 seats. It all comes down to what you are comfortable in.
    Bauer

01 S8

I have to say that I am under 5'9" and even I find that it's most comfortable to pull the seat squab extension on the Recaros out by a couple of notches. This makes the seating position much more comfortable than the sport seats in my old 2.7T.
    03 RS6 Avant - Daytona Grey, Silver Leather/Alcantara :)