Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitment issues with Milltek catback and Stratmosphere is MIA

Fitment issues with Milltek catback and Stratmosphere is MIA

Having some fitment issues with the Milltek LS muffler assembly. The muffler can tilts up too much and the tip points up as it exits the bumper outlet.

Trying to contact Bob at Stratmosphere with no luck. Left a message with staff last week and nothing. Sent a detailed email with pictures of the problem and nothing? That was 1 week ago.

What gives at Stratmosphere? Is this expected service after the sale?

Standard fitment of ANY Miltek system. They cannot get alot of that stuff correct.

I can show you a pic of my car, and a few others that are the same way. And not just RS6.

When I took off the resonators, I rewelded it a bit in a better angle. But it is still not perfect to my liking.

The miltek thatwas on my rs6 was perfect, but it had a lot of welds where someone fabed it that way.

I was worried alittle at the time of order. The exhaust is ordered in pieces. My worry was that batches change and each system has never been tested on any jig to ensure proper fitment. I was right.

The stock RS6 mufflers and center section are mirror images of each other. How hard is it to copy that path and make your L and R muffler sections and inlet pipes mirror images? I really should have listened to myself when I questioned how the system was packaged. Those pipes were never test fit together.

Dave, I ended up having my sections welded as Yokust mentioned. I am surprised bob is stonewalling. Not good, period. Why not take it to good muffler shop and have them work it right? I know it's extra$, but alleviate the headache.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

i would be highly irritated...
    $1800 is no drop in the bucket, the product SHOULD fit properly
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Rewelded? No way.

RS is perfect. LS center section is fine. The problem lies in the LS muffer and inlet pipe/angle. There is no way to adjust it.

If this is the actual product and the end customer (me) needs to accept it. Fine. Just tell me so. I dont know why Stratmosphere is MIA and will not return calls or email. Tell me to pound sand. What is so hard about that?

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    Dave, I ended up having my sections welded as Yokust mentioned. I am surprised bob is stonewalling. Not good, period. Why not take it to good muffler shop and have them work it right? I know it's extra$, but alleviate the headache.

This would be correct. I will not hack up a poorly fit section. Milltek stands behind the product or they dont. I really dont care which route they choose because there are other more $$$ costs to bear. The power of the pen speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    i would be highly irritated...
    $1800 is no drop in the bucket, the product SHOULD fit properly

And if we are having to "reweld" Milltek systems to get them to fit on our cars....why in the hell didnt anyone say anything? Proper fitment is 60% of the deal here.

I honestly thought that the Miltek 'fitment' issues was common knowledge.

Check every forum you will here same issues, on any of their twin style exhausts.

Has been that way for the last 10yrs that I have been putting them on peoples cars

Quote Originally Posted by yokust View Post
    I honestly thought that the Miltek 'fitment' issues was common knowledge.

Check every forum you will here same issues, on any of their twin style exhausts.

Has been that way for the last 10yrs that I have been putting them on peoples cars
    I am not busting your balls, yokust, but that doesn't mean it is right or ok to continue "f*cking the dog" - meaning Milltek
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I am not busting your balls, yokust, but that doesn't mean it is right or ok to continue "f*cking the dog" - meaning Milltek
    by no means do I disagree

But by all means, get the UK on the phone(miltek) and see what the deal is?

And for that matter, get every exhaust maker (other then custom one offs) and ask them what the deal is

Does Milltek have a part number for the union/couplers to go from the downpipes to the midpipes and if so can it be ordered separately?
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Well,

I have no problem calling Milltek out on this one. I could not find one complaint on our forum for the fitment on the RS6. Now we have more than one member saying they had to reweld to fit? I dont check all the other sites. This is where 90% of the US RS6 members are located. If there is a problem we all want to know. Geez

And taking this exhaust system to some monkey exhaust shop is not going fix anything. Its either right or its wrong. If its wrong what are you going to do about it? If Milltek tells me to pound sand then we shall all know about it.

that's why I'm going to a custom muffler shop to start with - one with decades of experience doing pipework, and with proper mandrel bending equipment. It's going to have mufflers branded that perhaps only NASCAR enthusiasts may recognize, but it'll be very freeflowing and perhaps a bit raucous....
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    that's why I'm going to a custom muffler shop to start with - one with decades of experience doing pipework, and with proper mandrel bending equipment. It's going to have mufflers branded that perhaps only NASCAR enthusiasts may recognize, but it'll be very freeflowing and perhaps a bit raucous....
    Ditto this.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I wish that were a choice here in bumble AZ

In all my years of modding and custom exhausts....this has to be the worst fitting exhaust ever. Haha, and its the most expensive.

HKS exhaust systems for all my Supra's and Celica turbo. Fit perfect. Hell, I even ordered a one off HKS racing 85mm dual path setup for my Supra straight from Japan. Fit perfect.
    TRD full stainless system for my Supra TT. Fit perfect.
    Custom turboback 3in setup for my Celica alltrac from Australia. What was that name? hmmm oh hell it fit perfect.
    Cobb tuning full turbo back setup for my STI. Fit perfect.
    Last edited by DHall1; September 14th, 2011 at 06:05.

dave, i had some fitment issues with my milltek also.

ended up bending it a little... not what i prefered to do, but it was the only way to prevent the tips from hitting the bumper

more so the driver side than the passenger side.
    2003 RS6 - forsale