Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCU fried by rain entry due to improper windshield Instalation

TCU fried by rain entry due to improper windshield Instalation

Topic says it all.

Parked outside in heavy rain. Few hours later car is in limp mode. Went right down street to Audi dealer. Confirmed water entry and damage confirmed today.

Allstate AutoGlass dept involved.

Need "new TCU" but dealer looking for used. $800 or so.

New cannot be found!

Oh well!!

Mike

Damn! Sorry man, I swear all Audis are jinxed.

Ooof- Why can't vendors just do their job normally?? It seems like obtaining professional services in a competent manner is a rarer and rarer treat.
    210K miles rolled

Got a TCU sitting right here.....PM me, got it for $400 shipped from SteveK (thanks!), yours for the same price...Scary that new cannot be found. I bought two used ones a few months back. My original broken one is at Hoppen, I need to get that back just in case one day, I'm sure some soldering genius could fix it up.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

It was a combination of poorly seated seal and the why the car was parked slightly down hill.

Repair should be covered by the windshield co. We shall see.

Many people have things worse off considering our flood last week so I don't mean to whine!

Mike

(but I'd like electricity and cable back on. Lol. Day 6 on generator )

^That's keeping things in perspective..
    210K miles rolled

OT - I'm driving through Binghamton tomorrow on my way to Cooperstown, how is everything up that way? I was in that same area after Irene, and the customer I'm visiting was without power for 5 days after that one.

Things are close to normal.

Still quite a few houses in standing water. Many people lost everything. It's quite sad.

Our power back came on an hour ago. So for us back to normal.

Mike

Gravity is a bitch. The TCU should not be on the floor.
    05 Cayenne turbo

I had a similar experience a couple months ago with my A6, parked downhill and during a nasty rain. Fortunately it's a 6-speed, so no fried TCU, but central locking was buggy for a couple weeks til everything dried out.

New A8 puts the unit on the back deck between the rear seat and the trunk! takes up Golf Club space!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    Gravity is a bitch. The TCU should not be on the floor.

Thanks to lswing, TCU replacement is on the way!

I was at the dealership today. We are waiting on the insurance adjuster from Allstate to inspect the windshield issue. The mechanic partially removed the lower molding which was not seated properly. I hope this did not destroy 'evidence'.

The carpets are all out LOL (I hope he did not dislodge my ice-link ipod wires, that would be a pain in the &$$.

I did not have a chance to call the service department (crazy office hours today) so I'm not sure on the parts situation, thus the purchase from lswing.

I'm not sure on the diff seals or the central or rear diff service issues, still waiting. He suspected something to do with "clutch" packs in the rear diff as the cause of the strange sensation I feel when doing a turn under high load.

Holding off on replacing the intercooler, perhaps after this other stuff is sorted out.

Picked up a 2008 A4 cabrio as my backup/share with wife/14 year old soon driving/ car.

Anyone know how to get the GD bluetooth to pair with an Iphone or how to get SOUND from the Ipod integration? LOL...LOTS OF LINKS to that topic but NO solutions! D'ooh.

Mike

the problem you describe does sound like the clutch plates in a limited slip diff...except that our cars don't have an LSD!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Hopefully he will find something easily repairable since I clearly feel the strange sensation and I don't want to ignore it until something really bad happens.

Mike

PS Bluetooth in the A4 works fine, just have to link the phone immediately after starting the car, works great, downloaded all my contacts, use the left stearing wheel thumb wheel to scroll through names, then press the thumb wheel to dial the number. Sounds great, people on the other end can hear me well even with the top down.

That's right mike, you have to pair it within two minutes of startup. I think it's in the owners manual
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Thanks to lswing, TCU replacement is on the way!

Mike
    Glad to pass along the TCU Mike. Should be there today, sent the tracking info to both accounts. Thanks to SteveK for swapping to a 6 speed manual and selling me the TCU for a good price too!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

As Kismetcapitan said:

The RS6 was only available with Audi's Torsen-based quattro permanent four-wheel drive, utilising the Torsen T-2 dynamic 'automatic torque biasing' (ATB) centre differential (diff), a modified unit which was being used in the 6.0 litre W12-powered Audi D2 A8. The torque from the engine is first routed from the gearbox output shaft to the Torsen centre diff, and then automatically divided and apportioned between the front and rear axles.
    The front and rear axle differentials (ratio: 3.197) are a conventional "open" type, but utilise an "Electronic Differential Lock" (EDL). EDL is an integrated additional function of the Bosch Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) system, and works by monitoring and comparing the individual roadwheel speeds across an axle, and braking an individual wheel which is sensed to have lost traction (spinning), thus transferring torque across the axle to the wheel/tyre which does have grip. "Anti-Slip Regulation" (ASR), more commonly known as traction control system[4] completes the Bosch ESP-related driver aids.

And a Torsen is an all gear differential with worm gears that cause the differential to act somewhat like a limited slip but causing the slipping side to have less Torque and the traction side to have more Torque rather than more equal like a limited slip when locked up. By the way, the Torsen Gleason differential was invented by American Vernon Gleason and patented in 1958. Audi was one of the first big customers for the Torsen as well as the real Humvee H1, not the GM wannabe named H2 (Chevy Tahoe) & H3 (Chevy Colorado) chasis trucks.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks for the info!

Mike