Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New S6, S7, S8 are here!!!

Oh Sh*t!!! Now I'm going to have to sell the RS3 I just bought and get myself one of these.

Finally. But fantastic. Well worth the wait. What an engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BMW holds a patent on the reverse flow turbo setup.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i don't see why anyone would want an S63 with the S8 being available.
    Next S class is set to debut at '12 Geneve motor show, and next S 63 AMG latest at '12 Paris show, maybe even together with ''regular'' S class in march...

I really like what I see..

I am in love times 3.. As nice or fast as they all are or will be they will never replace the original "beast"..
    they call me Tank

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    But this doesn't stop Audi from placing the turbos between the cylinder banks and using their own slightly different design. I am sure Audi has lots of patents on their direct injected TFSI technology but BMW and MB also have created similar technology a few years after Audi.

are you guys talking about the reverse flow manifolds/heads? Nothing like a reverse flow turbo to suck out all the air from your engine

I wonder what the REAL world benefits are of that, aside from heat soaking everything.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

It seems to work well with the X5m. They've had it going for a few years now. I've seen dyno reports after a tune on the 4.4 biturbo in the 460 - 475 range at the wheels with just a tune. Guess who's a good choice for the tune? Yep, Jerry at Eurocharged. The 4.4 uses liquid the air intercoolers so they are supposedly pretty good with the heat soak.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Placing turbos between the cylinder banks are good for reducing turbo lag and engine size. Thus the exhaust outtakes are between the cylinder banks, not on the sides of the engine and air suction happens somewhere down. This can generate less heat than a regular turbo setup if built well. This is the way Audi Sport built the R18 TDI engine, but that one is a monoturbo. By the way, I've never understood why they need two turbos if they are between the cylinder banks, with such a small lag, one should have been enough. But it is only according to what i've read about this technology, i'm not an expert.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

I would say there is still a lag no matter the location with higher inertia of a larger wheel.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I stand corrected. This is from today's press release on the new 4.0tt

Another innovation: cylinder head construction
    The turbochargers and their charge-air intercooler - an air-to-water heat exchanger - are located in the vee between the cylinder banks instead of in the more customary position on the outside of the engine block. The cylinder heads have a new, innovative layout, with the exhaust side on the inside and the intake side on the outside.
    This layout is more compact, improves thermodynamic performance and keeps the gas flow paths short, with minimum frictional losses, so that the 4.0 TFSI reacts spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements. Hot components, especially the manifolds, are extensively insulated to ensure stable thermal conditions in the vee of the engine.
    The fresh air intake systems are mounted on the outside of the cylinder banks. Switchable flap valves in the inlet ports cause the incoming air to rotate in a drum-like pattern. This imparts intensive swirl to the fuel-air mixture and cools the combustion chambers. The engine's compression ratio can therefore be higher despite the use of turbocharging, but without the risk of inducing combustion knock.

From the press release:

The difference in power output between the two versions of the 4.0 TFSI is due mainly to the use of either a single-branch or dual-branch intake system, the turbocharger operating settings and the top version's additional oil cooler. There are further differences relating to the crankshaft and its main bearings, the compression ratio, valve timing and the injectors.
    Well, the good news is it sounds like at least the turbos are physically the same between the S6 and S8 version of the engine...

So hard to choose...all so great!!!
    I really want an Avant this time though.

25mpg for a 4000lbs+ twin turbo V8 (S6) is pretty darn good for the efficiency aspect. I'm also with Aronis on making the S6 produce what the S8 does.

BTW, RXBG, are you finally content to see the 4.0T made it to market?
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

whether turbocharged or not, placing the exhausts on the inside allows the pipes to be merged from each cylinder bank ideally. It's hard to explain without a picture, but with a V8 engine, the ideal pipe mergings require equal length pipes from cylinders that aren't in the same bank...which is impossible with the exhaust pipes on the outside of the heads. This also lets the engine design use a crossplane crank, and for the V8 to function as a true 8 cylinder engine, rather than two 4 cylinders stuck together.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

YouTube Audi S7 Sportback, some impressions:

Enjoy!

YouTube Audi S6 Avant, some impressions:

Enjoy!