Thread: E55 or RS6??

E55 or RS6??

Hello,

I'm a newbie who's wondering which car I should go for.

I hear RS6 has a lot of potential to upgrade. With one ECU chip(MTM), having 500hp makes faster than e55?

Currently, I'm driving M5(E39). Can RS6 give me the superior feeling than M5 in every aspects?

I'd appreciate if you guys can share some opinions.
    Thank you

Speed

Here's a start...

E55 & Former RS 6 Owner

And there are several former M5 owners here that can comment.

Motor Trend reviews

Motor Trend review - RS6 vs. E55

You may also find this helpful. Look for the review on this weeks Motor Trend television (if you're in The States)

Both are great (driven both, own an RS6), but you will get biased opinions here
    ----
    Jordan Conley
    03 RS6
    01 TT Roadster
    95 A6Q 2.8
    [IMG]http://www.rs6.com/gfx/racing/001a.jpg[/IMG]

Both are great cars

Do you drive in a snowy area and wish to drive your supercar all year? - then the answer is very simple. Even the MB dealers (at least the honest ones) will tell you that a E55 with snow tires is still awful in the snow.

The E55 is the fastest of the current three cars you mentioned, and is the one that provides the least driver feedback. I test drove it and disliked the brakes, the steering and felt that it was an engine in search of a chassis. I am a heavy-duty Porschephile and the RS6 appealed to me as the sedan that Porsche might build - a great balance of handling, braking and speed.

The new E60 M5 with SMG will probably be the king of the hill soon - if you can get past the looks.

M5 vs. RS 6

Newbie:

I have both a 2001 M5 and the 2003 RS6- Here are the pros and cons:

M5 is a more "connected to the driver" car with the manual tranny and the instant non turbo engine response. The suspension in the M5 has more feedback( you feel the bumps more) but the RS6 has LESS body roll.
    The RS6 has a great suspension and a quieter ride- I just took a 200 mile ride upstate NY and it was hard to keep it under 85 mph on the Taconic.

The M5 is a deathtrap in the snow- last winter I mistakedly drove the car to work and it snowed 1 " while I was at work- the M5 could not make it up my driveway!! I have owned several quattro audis and they go through anything! Last christmas eve I went over my lawn with 12" of snow like it wasn't even there with my A6!!

All in all- I prefer the M5 in the summer the RS6 in the rain, snow, and on long family trips.
    Not a bad problem-hey?

john

From Car & Driver

The Heavyweights: Deep-Pocket-Rockets

Test drive both cars for a fair amount of time and then you'll know.

The RS6 will "feel" closer to the M5 than the E55, but still the "feel" will be different than the M5.

Some tuners claim their chipping to give in excess of 500 bhp.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

You guys are amazing. Thanks for great help.

Still wondering if 500hp chipped RS6 be possibly beating E55 for straight line speed.

BTW I live in Orlando, FL, so I don't worry about snow. I kinda prefer all-wheel drive for rainy days tho.

Once again, thanks to all. Hope I join your group someday soon.

Speed

Rain is the second home for quattro! In Florida, the 2pm summer rain will make your decision. If your working from 1:30 to 4:00, you will only need an RS6 during the occasional hurricane.

If I lived there again, I think I would drive an SL55 AMG. Hey, it is the sunshine state.

GoFastKindaGuy
    '18 McLaren 720S, '18 Audi R8 V10 Plus, '18 Porsche Turismo Sport Turbo, '12 Cayenne Turbo, '04 Carrera GT

RS6speed,

AvusRS6 started a thread titled 'O.ct chip update' and in that thread he tells of his experience swapping his chipped/exhaust RS6 with his friends 03 E55.

Also, Plexus posted that he was able to get a 0 to 60 in 3.98 sec out of his APR chip only Rs6 Avant. It is under thread titled 'exhaust question' I believe.

In my opinion if you want a drivers car get the RS6. If you want to beat the E55 in a straight line, chip it and you should be able to if Plexus's numbers are right.

I hope this helps.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Today, I went to the dealer to get an oil change and get my car "read" by the computer and some soft faults showed up, the funniest one was Maximum "something forgot if it said boost" Exceeded - my tech told me..."oh yeah, you're chipped alright".

Anyway, while car was getting its oil changed, I had the opportunity to drive a 2001 996 Twin Turbo. When I got behind the wheels, my expectations were sky high! Off we went...

DISCLAIMER - 911 TT is an overall GREAT CAR!!!

After driving the 911 TT, I realized how fast the RS6 truly was. I thought the 911 TT was going to be "neck breaking" fast, but its about the same as the RS6...now don't get me wrong this car will kill the RS6 on twisties no doubt and also the brakes didn't feel as good as the RS6. Maybe I truly underestimated my modded RS6. Today, I have a totally new appreciation for my BEAST! Talked to my dealer and they are looking into 50 SHOT of NOS directly at the Intercoolers - no into the coolers but at them...that should be interesting...

The E55 is truly an awesome straight line BEAST, but it can use improvements in the handling department and the brakes should not have been electronically controlled. The E55 seats are AWESOME though and the sound system is nice. I don't believe you can get NAVI yet on the E55, that was the case in August, not sure now. You truly have to drive both cars to understand...I personally am glad I made the RS6 choice.

Originally posted by AvusRS6

Talked to my dealer and they are looking into 50 SHOT of NOS directly at the Intercoolers - no into the coolers but at them...that should be interesting...

What is spraying the intercoolers with NOS going to do? Do you know what the efficiency of the intercoolers is? Do you know whether the intercoolers are acting as intercoolers or as a heat sinks? Have you measured the temperatures?
    Does your dealer know that if you develop more than 800NM of torque that you will uncover faults in the original gearbox/tiptronic programming that are hard to remediate? Who is going to pay to replace a destroyed drive train?
    I think its great that people tune their RS6s, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of tuners out there making claims about the power 'their' RS6 has, well, if they have to honour a warranty, then they won't be selling cars with that much horsepower.

R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    What is spraying the intercoolers with NOS going to do? Do you know what the efficiency of the intercoolers is? Do you know whether the intercoolers are acting as intercoolers or as a heat sinks? Have you measured the temperatures?
    Does your dealer know that if you develop more than 800NM of torque that you will uncover faults in the original gearbox/tiptronic programming that are hard to remediate? Who is going to pay to replace a destroyed drive train?
    I think its great that people tune their RS6s, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of tuners out there making claims about the power 'their' RS6 has, well, if they have to honour a warranty, then they won't be selling cars with that much horsepower.

R+C
    We're not 100% sure yet on this. The dealer is the same dealer that told me to Chip the car and warranty would not be an issue. You're right though, after plugging my car into the computer I did see that the car was set to 799NM MAX...right now we're just researching.