Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible hyper performance diesel from BMW

Possible hyper performance diesel from BMW

The image has started a rumor that is gathering momentum at an alarming rate. Is this the first clue that BMW are preparing to release a new hyper performance diesel that is rumored to use their trusted inline six cylinder 3.0L but this time using three turbos (yeah you heard right). Suggested output is believe to be 400hp with upwards of 600ft/lbs.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Yes and I already mentioned that. It's been rolling in my neck of the woods for hot weather testing couple of months already. After learning this, it is very sad to see that Audi only manages to introduce 3.0 bi-turbo TDI almost 8 years after BMW and 2.0 biTDI hasn't been out yet... And they somehow want to be known as a TDI pioneer and similar BS...

Yeah it's unfortunate that Audi aren't leading the field in production diesel technology even though they are the undisputed leaders with it in motorsport. The only thing I don't fully buy into is the suggested output of 400hp, this figures sound about 40-50hp too high in my opinion.

Boys, you seem to be forgetting about what's still the strongest diesel around. V12 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    Boys, you seem to be forgetting about what's still the strongest diesel around. V12 TDI
    Spectacular engine the V12TDI definitely is and arguably the greatest diesel .................. but can you fit it in an A8 or even an A6/7 ????

No of course not, but you can fit this engine in to 5/6/7/X5/X6 which makes it all the more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    Diesels are (should be) all about economy. This one is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah it's unfortunate that Audi aren't leading the field in production diesel technology even though they are the undisputed leaders with it in motorsport.
    ^^^EXACTLY this sentence^^^
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    Diesels are (should be) all about economy. This one is not.
    Are you sure about that? Why is that so? Why wouldn't they be considered the ultimate powerhouses which can provide substantialy more power for every $ spent on fuel?

What I mean is, ok, currently the main trend in the industry is low consumption and that's where diesels rule.

But what I don't understand nor like is the fact that most people consider diesel engines somehow inferior and they mostly speak about constumption as their only advantage...

The image has started a rumor that is gathering momentum at an alarming rate. Is this the first clue that BMW are preparing to release a new hyper performance diesel that is rumored to use their trusted inline six cylinder 3.0L but this time using three turbos (yeah you heard right). Suggested output is believe to be 400hp with upwards of 600ft/lbs.

I can confirm this, heard it over a year ago but promised not to tell. Now it seems to be 'common knowledge'.

Perhaps a 4.0 litre, tri-turbo?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I can confirm this, heard it over a year ago but promised not to tell. Now it seems to be 'common knowledge'.

Perhaps a 4.0 litre, tri-turbo?
    4.0L????

Almost all the posts on BMW related forums refer to an inline six 3.0L, is there something you know about it actually being 4.0L. In any case it's very exciting to think it will possibly use 3 turbos, can't imagine how that will work or the sheer complexity of it.

4.0L not confirmed, but the rest sounds "ok"
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Interesting about the 4.0L Diesel and perhaps the reason why an engine bay photograph was pulled from the following website:

http://www.quattroworld.com/spy-shot...o-tfsi-engine/

Evidently, Audi did not want too much released before Frankfurt.

The 640d could just be a slightly tweaked X35d. High performance diesels are a difficult one. When you get up into reasonably serious performance, and subsequently money, people tend to go for petrol engines for the response and sound. I'm not really sure there's a huge market for 400hp diesels but I could be wrong.

Z07, are you kidding. Europe is diesel central, has been for the last seven or so years. The main disadvantage of performance petrols is that their mpg doesn't greatly improve when you slow down and drive normally unlike diesels which return some staggering figures with driven normally.

I am willing to bet anything that a 550d will out sell the 550i by 3 to 1 in Europe.

Z07, are you kidding. Europe is diesel central, has been for the last seven or so years. The main disadvantage of performance petrols is that their mpg doesn't greatly improve when you slow down and drive normally unlike diesels which return some staggering figures with driven normally.

I am willing to bet anything that a 550d will out sell the 550i by 3 to 1 in Europe.
    Well that's no big thing. 550is are extremely rare. Rarer than M5s. 82% of all 5-series sales are made up by the 520d. If people were interested in 'hyper' performance diesels you'd expect to see 525, 530 and 535ds making up a far larger proportion of sales. Couple this with the fact that diesels usually cost more than petrols and you need to be doing 30k miles per year to make it worth it, maybe more at the top end of the diesel scale. A 640d would likely be about £70-80k. People willing to spend that much don't really care about frugality, if they did, they simply wouldn't spend that much in the first place. Half that much would cover the total mileage likely to be done with the car several times over. It would also buy a 520d.

The reason over 80% are 520d is it's the rep mobile of the 5 series just like the A62.0d will be the rep mobile of the A6 range. You can't look at overall figures to get a proper reflection of what the public buy.

In any case I wasn't denying it wouldn't be a roaring success or overtake lesser model in the sells stake, I'm just saying that proportionally a performance diesel will out sell the petrol equivalent and if it is as good as I think it will be then I would pick it over the 550i in a heart beat, even if it were more expensive it buy simply for the effortless torque of a diesel.

The reason over 80% are 520d is it's the rep mobile of the 5 series just like the A62.0d will be the rep mobile of the A6 range. You can't look at overall figures to get a proper reflection of what the public buy.

In any case I wasn't denying it wouldn't be a roaring success or overtake lesser model in the sells stake, I'm just saying that proportionally a performance diesel will out sell the petrol equivalent and if it is as good as I think it will be then I would pick it over the 550i in a heart beat, even if it were more expensive it buy simply for the effortless torque of a diesel.
    Maybe for novelty value I guess. The 550i is a bad example though. Pretty much anyone in that category would just opt for the M5. I've seen as many 288 GTOs as I've seen 550is - just one sghting of each.

Hmm... can't delete the spam post?
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan