Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible hyper performance diesel from BMW

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Hmm... can't delete the spam post?
    Done. Very clever code, and I'm furious.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Done. Very clever code, and I'm furious.
    Yeah, we are getting a TON of these lately!
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Anyways, back on topic. I just finished my daily lurking at the car lounge and found.....this : http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Series-diesel
    I really think BMW has gone one step further engineering wise, but to be honest the maintance on that thing is going to be a nightmare 3 snails!?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JavierNuvolari View Post
    Anyways, back on topic. I just finished my daily lurking at the car lounge and found.....this : http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Series-diesel
    I really think BMW has gone one step further engineering wise, but to be honest the maintance on that thing is going to be a nightmare 3 snails!?

Cheers.
    If this ends up being true then I really feel Audi missed the boat. ESPECIALLY considering (as was already pointed out in this thread) their current dominance in diesel racing!
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JavierNuvolari View Post

Cheers.
    I think the hype is outpacing the actual engine, I don't see it making 500 horsepower from a 3 liter diesel engine. The next M3 is rumored to use a turbocharged 3 liter gasoline engine and produce 450 or so horsepower. The current M5 produces 565 horsepower from a 4.4 liter twin-turbo gasoline engine.

I see a 350-400 horsepower 3 liter 6 cylinder diesel or possibly a 400-500 horsepower 4 liter V8 diesel for the proposed "M tuned" or 50d models. 500 horsepower from 3 liters is a higher per liter output than the 3.8 turbo V8 from the MP4-12C and on the level of 911 turbo and Nissan GT-R. I don't see that happening in a street diesel for some time just yet.

Perhaps we are getting ahead of ourselves.

So I'll sit tight.
    Ron Paul Fan

Audi missed nothing in my opinion. There is absolutely no need for a 400-500hp diesel in the 5 or 7 series. It's nothing but a marketing issue, just like V12 diesel in Q7. If someone wants to buy a fast luxury car, let's see an Audi for example...: there is the A6/7/8 with a 3.0 TDI is just perfect for every theoretical conditions i can imagine. With 6s acceleration and a very reasonable consumption in such a car, it is the definition of the luxurious daily driver. Anyone looking for something more exclusive, should take a Bentley, Ferrari, Mercedes SL...etc. Even the current top diesel, the bi-turbo 3 liter is something beyond useful i think. The only way BMW can took over with this is changing the mostly hyped high performance models from petrol to diesel before Audi does. The costumers of M5 and RS6 models don't really care about the consumption, yet, or at least this isn't the decisive thing. Audis know-how in diesel racing should reflect in the engine most people use in the every day life, not only in Audis, but in VW, Skoda, Seat and other brands as well.

Edit: This is of course regarding to today conditions, when the need for a 400hp 3L diesel engine will raise (e.g by extreme downsizing... ) Audi will also be there, just like they did with the 300hp bi-turbo.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic