Thread: Chipping a 3000 mile car??

Chipping a 3000 mile car??

I am thinking about chipping(MTM) my rs6,but the problem is

I don't know when. My car has less than 3000 miles now...

If any of you have chipped a car, how many miles did it have

when it was chipped?

I chipped my A6 2.7T from 0 km, no problems.

With the RS6 I'd break it in, then chip it.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Chip it right NOW because I want to hear about the MTM ECU.

Seriously though, as Erik says, just finish run-in first.

Welcome abord jgun81.
    I could'nt help notice your very competitiv stable in your profile.
    Feel free to post pictures of your beauties anytime.

Regards
    /peter

I chipped my car with less than 2000 miles

AvusRS6

You sound like you are in US. So, please help me out here.

Someone here said MTM is only available in US? Is that right?

Do you have MTM ECU in your car?

Also I have a question about the modified exhaust..

Is it also MTM? Where could I get one of those?

To Krabu

Thank you for welcoming me

Unfortunately, I won't be able to upload pictures

of all my cars because I recently sold c32 and m3.

I wanted to keep them but I didn't really need them

since I got comfortable 4dr sedan (of course rs6) , and a

sports coupe clk(I am gonna keep clk thou)

However, I ordered 19' HRE Rims. I was supposed to get them

but then...that damn Isabel...so I am still waiting for Rims...

I will post pics of clk55 and RS6 with HRE as soon as i get those

Originally posted by jgun81
    AvusRS6

You sound like you are in US. So, please help me out here.

Someone here said MTM is only available in US? Is that right?

Do you have MTM ECU in your car?

Also I have a question about the modified exhaust..

Is it also MTM? Where could I get one of those?
    Yes, I'm in the DC area.

I have O.CT Chip and love it!

I hear MTM is good but too bad that they have a HORRIBLE representative in the US and it was next to impossible to get them to call me, let alone give me any information at all so I went with a company that treated me like a customer, Stratmosphere.

My exhaust is Miltek and I absolutely love it! The MTM, I've read mixed reviews and Bob of Stratmosphere having installed a Miltek on their RS6 I went with Bob's recommendation and went with Miltek. So far Bob has been right on the money with everything he claimed so needless to say, I will probably go with his advise on products here on out.

Stratmosphere is up in NY, Rochester area I believe. Give them a call, Bob will be more than happy to assist you.

APR, well, I couldn't get them to give me any info either and if their stuff came out already then they sure forgot to call me. At this point I don't really care if MTM or APR's chip give more HP than the O.CT, Bob had the decency and courtesy to talk to me whenever I had a question so as far as I'm concerned, they sure got themselves a customer from me!

Good luck!

MTM from Germany, available in U.S.

I've never used MTM but I've shopped enough to know they're a German product available in the U.S. only through Joe Hoppen Motorsports in Sarasota, FL. Most such arrangements allow for the owner to send in their ECU, get new chip installed, and have ECU back in 3 days total.

Self-installation makes me nervous, though. Nervous enough that I had it done professionally on my A4 and S4, and APR offers a way to do that because they have several distributors around the U.S. who are qualified for most APR installations. In the case of the RS6, however, APR told me that although their distributors can install engine software, that's not so for the Tiptronic software -- so, something will have to be sent to them, apparently. Also, APR tells me their Tip chip changes shift points, and I'm not sure I want to live with the potential that reportedly poses for premature wear on the tranny.

I'm considering an O.CT chip but it, too, requires the owner to remove the ECU and send it to them. But I'm shying away from that even more because although removal of the ECU is supposed to be easy, in the RS6 it requires at least one somewhat special tool, breaking into a box designed to keep you out, and willingness to try working on your $90K investment when you don't know what you're doing (at least I don't!). So...although nothing has been decided, I might be making a trip from SE Michigan to the Rochester, NY area for installation of an O.CT chip by Stratmosphere there. Maybe. But I won't chip at all unless, as was the case with my A4 and S4, I become convinced that risk is minimal. Stay tuned.

I hear MTM is good but too bad that they have a HORRIBLE representative in the US and it was next to impossible to get them to call me, let alone give me any information at all

not to start any pissing contest here but my experience with MTM and Hoppen Motorsports is quite oposite.

Done 4 cars with them, never a problem to get them on the phone - the call back problem AvusRS6 describes is sometimes driven by the "corporate" approach... try to get hold of ANY tuner in Germany directly - you will retire before you get a call back.

And the performance is worth the money - don't remember case of "bad" software installed with MTM.

BTW the ECU turnaround is 48 hrs, not three days as long as next day service is concerned.

I never said that MTM chip was bad, actually my S4 buddy suggested I go with MTM on my RS6 due to the reputation MTM has built in Germany. I had called over 7 times only to get the same answer all the time, "give us your number and someone will call you back...". After 2 weeks I decided that they didn't deserver my money. I'm not bashing MTM, but they need to consider other distributors as well.

I understand - when you call just ask for Mike Hoppen, my experience is if they don't call back I call the next day again. As you can see the company is sort of "germanized" ......

I've made same experience with Movit - 6 e-mails with rfq for rs6 brake kit, two phone calls and finally after three months I got a contact for locat rep .... and that is about $12k brake job for this car. What can I say ....

That MTM chip is something else. I did not have any chance to try other tuners but on rs6..

Originally posted by gjg
    I understand - when you call just ask for Mike Hoppen, my experience is if they don't call back I call the next day again. As you can see the company is sort of "germanized" ......

I've made same experience with Movit - 6 e-mails with rfq for rs6 brake kit, two phone calls and finally after three months I got a contact for locat rep .... and that is about $12k brake job for this car. What can I say ....

That MTM chip is something else. I did not have any chance to try other tuners but on rs6..
    George
    If you had asked, I would have given you Guido's phone number!
    Robin

Robin, my Avant (yes, I'm one of the lucky guys ....) is up for delivery in early January (got some of the 6+ weeks delivery time options) so there is not rush however I will do that comes spring next year because I do not want to use local rep anyway - BMW dealer with pisspoor reputation ....