Thread: Edmunds Insideline video tests (535i vs A6 3.0TFSI) comparison

Edmunds Insideline video tests (535i vs A6 3.0TFSI) comparison

Worth noting was that the 535i tested was equipped with BMW's $2700 Dynamic Handling Package which includes Electronic Damping Control (variable rate electromagnetic shock absorbers) combined with Active Roll Stabilization [ARS], their hydroelectrically actuated stabilizer bars, a system which is meant to offer superior ride comfort whilst reducing the traditional lean under hard cornering though for the video it didn't look to be working all that great.

Don't know whether the A6 had air suspension or not as it's not stated in the video but either way the A6 was far superior in delivering the goods.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

None of the US bound A6s have got Air Suspension. Just regular or Sport suspension.

One thing besides all the numbers that the Audi just won hands down that caught my eye, or acutally ear. The noise from the A6 blew the beemer to somewhere last week...

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    None of the US bound A6s have got Air Suspension. Just regular or Sport suspension.
    I had heard that but as this was a euro spec A6 I couldn't be 100% sure to be able to say it didn't.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

I like new A6 much more than new 5 series

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I had heard that but as this was a euro spec A6 I couldn't be 100% sure to be able to say it didn't.
    This isn't Euro model. They tested almost fully optioned Prestige package A6 (you can see orange amber reflectors in headlight cluster clearly).

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...i-quattro.html

''Inside Line tests hundreds of vehicles a year, but not every vehicle gets a full write-up. The numbers still tell a story, though, so we present "IL Track Tested." It's a quick rundown of all the data we collected at the track, along with comments direct from the test-drivers. Enjoy.

Audi completely redesigned the A6 for the 2012 model year with an emphasis on technology. And not simply the infotainment type, though with an 8-inch screen, advanced MMI and cellular Wi-Fi connecting you to things like Google maps, the new A6 certainly ticks that box. No, for the 2012 A6, Audi focused on building a lighter, more efficient sedan. That started by (thankfully) not increasing the size of the A6 -- which was already one of the largest vehicles in the class. So Audi increased the wheelbase and lowered the car and at the same time, employed greater use of aluminum to lighten the whole package by 176 pounds. That's a trend we can get behind.

And while Audi still isn't keen on offering a V8 for this A6, it has tweaked the supercharged 3.0-liter V6 to 310 horsepower @ 5,500-6,500 rpm and 325 lb-ft of torque from 2,900-4,500 rpm. If these stats sound familiar. it's because this is the same engine that's sitting in the 2012 Audi A7 which you should be familiar with as the sporty hatchback sibling of the Audi A6.

We already know how the A7 does on the track. Can the best-selling A6 keep up with the impressive numbers already set?

Vehicle: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro
    Price as tested: $71,330 (Base 3.0 TFSI quattro tiptronic ($49,900); Aviator Blue Metallic ($475); Prestiga Package ($6,880); Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System ($5,900); Innovation Package ($5,800); 19" Sport Package ($1,500); Destination fee ($857)
    Date Tested: 6-21-2011
    Driver: Mike Monticello

Specifications:
    Drive Type: Longitudinal, front-engine, all-wheel drive
    Transmission Type: Eight-speed automatic
    Displacement (cc/cu-in): 2,995/183
    Redline (rpm): 6,450
    Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 310 @ 5,500-6,500
    Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 325 @ 2,900-4,500
    Steering System: Electronic Assist, speed-sensitive power rack-and-pinion
    Suspension Type (front): Independent multilink, coil springs, antiroll bar
    Suspension Type (rear): Independent multilink, coil springs
    Tire Size (front): 255/40R19
    Tire Size (rear): 255/40R19
    Tire Brand: Pirelli
    Tire Model: P Zero
    Tire Type: Summer performance
    Brakes front: 14-inch ventilated discs with 2-piston sliding calipers
    Brakes 13 in ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
    As tested Curb Weight (lb): 4,175

Test Results:

Acceleration
    0-30 (sec): 2.0 (2.1 with T/C on)
    0-45 (sec): 3.4 (3.6 with T/C on)
    0-60 (sec): 5.2 (5.7 with T/C on)
    0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.9 (5.4 with T/C on)
    0-75 (sec): 7.6 (8.1 with T/C on)
    1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 13.6 @ 102.0 (13.8 @ 100.8 with T/C on)

Braking
    30-0 (ft): 28
    60-0 (ft): 111

Handling
    Slalom (mph): 67.2 (64.5 with T/C on)
    Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.90 (0.88 with T/C on)

Sound
    Db @ Idle: 41.6
    Db @ Full Throttle: 70.9
    Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 63.4

RPM @ 70: 1,700

Comments

Acceleration: Strong supercharged power right off the line and continues its strong flood of power through the quarter-mile. Transmission shifts quickly in Sport mode. Quickest run was a bit of an anomaly -- power braking in sport transmission mode with ESC off, but the upshifts were much more abrupt and lightning-quick and could not duplicate (a trick we've seen in other new Audis.) Manual shifting is via paddles or console lever. Blips throttle on downshifts but will not hold gears to rev limiter.

Braking: Not the firmest pedal ever, and with moderate travel, but incredibly consistent and stable stops. Very little nosedive at all and zero brake fade exhibited in six stops. Short stopping distances, too.

Handling: Skid pad: Steering feels very light and unfeeling around the skid pad, and there's significant understeer, but the chassis is very receptive to drop-throttle to keep the A6 on the arc. And those summer tires clearly have a lot of grip. Slalom: There's more substance to the steering during the higher speeds and transitions of the slalom. Grippy tires give a lot of confidence to throw the car around and AWD is a real boon for exiting at full throttle. The suspension feels oddly springy, though, as you transition back and forth. Overall, though, a confidence-inspiring car.''