Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop M3 on the Autobahn has 106 mph max-recommendations?

Dunlop M3 on the Autobahn has 106 mph max-recommendations?

Hello, Well, my RS6 is back from the Frankfurt Audi dealer for the third time with a new battery and now a new alternator and all seems good. Then it occurred to me, perhaps I should look at my tires. Lots of tread, but R rated which, according to tirerack.com means 106 max speed rating. Shoot.

Not much snow around here, so I am thinking of a high performance all-season like the Continental Extreme Contact DW with a Z rating. Any thoughts? I always had a set of winters and summers in the past, but do not now and don't want to for various logistical reasons. I used to have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on several different Allroads, and they were great, except they lasted about 10K-12K miles.

Any recs. would be much appreciated. Now I can't push the electronic limiter on my car until I get some new shoes. Oh no!!
    Bobski
    03 RS6 Black/Black stock
    01 TT stage 2+ silver with baseball red

Michelin pilot sport supersports. AMAZING tire. If you are interested, I can talk to my contact and see how much they are over there. They are 201 here.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Yeah, that sounds great as long as they are all season since there are snow tire requirements during the winter and I really don't want to have two sets of tires while in Germany. Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Bobski
    03 RS6 Black/Black stock

Go with the pilot sport a/s then. The ss is a summer tire. Both y rated.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

The a/s has a 45k mile warranty. If they don't last, use the warranty.

Bobski, try over at the Army base at Weisbaden and see what brands they carry. They might be able to order you other brands, tires and oil and such are expensive in Europe compared to the U.S. you will find.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I appreciate the A/S suggestion and checking at the Army Base. I do have base access, so I can do that. Not sure if I would trust them to install them. Would you? And, what A/S would you put on your RS6 for Germany?
    Bobski
    03 RS6 Black/Black stock

I was saying the pilot sport a/s, lol.

Does the base have an auto hobby shop?

Auto Skills Center
    Mainz Kastel
    Bldg. 4010
    Civ 06134 604-460
    or 06134 604-877
    DSN 334-2460/2877
    Hours:
    Tu-Fr Noon–8 pm
    Sat-Su 10 am-6 pm
    Training Holiday 10 am-6 pm CLOSED Mondays

http://www.armygermany.com/images/Au...20brochure.pdf
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

^^^And there you have it. The only place I would take mine if I were there. Make sure their tire machine will accept over 17" rims.

A/S = All Season
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    A/S = All Season
    Thanks Ben...

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Michelin pilot sport supersports. AMAZING tire.
    +1

Conti Extreme Contact DWS the best tires I've ever owned to this day. HIGHLY rated. Great speed and treadwear ratings. I have them on my RS6 & my B5 S4. High performance all season. Doesnt get better than that..

Quote Originally Posted by dynasty23 View Post
    Conti Extreme Contact DWS the best tires I've ever owned to this day. HIGHLY rated. Great speed and treadwear ratings. I have them on my RS6 & my B5 S4. High performance all season. Doesnt get better than that..
    Conti's got a hole in them at the Michelin invite at Fontana Super Speedway testing the Conti's and the Michelin Super Sports...
    I have proof for those that don't believe...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

May sound stupid but have no clue what you mean by conti's got a hole in them. Im guessing it means that the ratings and performance werent as good they shouldve or couldve been..

Quote Originally Posted by dynasty23 View Post
    May sound stupid but have no clue what you mean by conti's got a hole in them. Im guessing it means that the ratings and performance werent as good they shouldve or couldve been..
    my apologies, I should have been more clear (I wouldn't call you stupid , except maybe that 4444 guy trolling for OEM RS6 rims ).

This is after the second session of 10 people 3 laps each, shod on a BMW 328i on a mini autocross (parking lot),
    Lots of pushing of the front, lots of noise/squealing, lots of heat

If you had the opportunity to drive the same cars but different tires on the same course, everyone would understand the difference...