Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stronger Timing Belts? Thanks Mr. Rictus

Stronger Timing Belts? Thanks Mr. Rictus

http://www.gatesracing.com/timing.cfm
    They claim 300% stronger. I'm not saying increase your change intervals any, just an extra piece of mind that it will be done for the Tensioners or Waterpumps. RS6 application is T297RB, which is the same as other 40V Audi's.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

interesting find..... I'd like to hold one in my hands to compare stiffness/pliability. We've serviced thousands of VW/Audi gas and diesel engines over the years and they have changed belt structure a lot. Read adding life expectancy.

Maybe we can get Mikey to try it?
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

All OEM for me.

After 7yrs and 32k my OE belt looked brand new. Not so for the upper idler pulleys.

Beware people.

I installed one in my S6, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

The belt is made of Kevlar and fit just like stock. I replaced all other components at the same time and have put about 2500 miles on it so far with no issues.

Regular Gates belts are an industry standard in the aviation industry. I'm sure their premium belts are just that, above and beyond the stock belt in strength. As I said, I'll stick with the standard change interval because of the Tensioners & Waterpump, the belt will be something I just won't be worrying about.
    Roy, WA

2003 RS6 - forsale

It's always important to call in the order... I learned that when I was going to order my belt. Just because it says "in stock" on the website doesn't mean the part is actually in stock. I didn't order from that site.

Personally I will stick with OEM as well.

I have seen a few of these belts fail early on 1.8t's

And there's never been an OEM belt that failed early on a 1.8T? Just saying!

By the way, I picked mine up from Baxter Autoparts. They were extremely helpful and went the extra mile to be certain they had the belt in stock.

Very true, but then that applys to all VAG cars with a belt. Because they all break earlier then claimed replacment time frames.

But 2 1.8t's that broke these belts within 10k miles, IS WAY TOO EARLY

Just to let you know I've had one on my tt now for 9K miles and just pulled the cover to inspect it due to your post and it virtually looks like new. Almost no perceptible wear showing on the belt cogs.
    Roy, WA

4k miles from new I had an OEM belt drop a tooth and destroy valves on a 2.0t...

Gates does have an excellent reputation for rock solid synchronous belts with loooong duty cycles in industrial equipment, aviation, etc, fwiw.

How about a long-term update to the thread?

I sold my V8 to my buddy who put it into his B5A4 so naturally the timing service was done with the motor out of the car. The Gates belt was in excellent condition. There was no weird wear or stretch to it after 70,000 miles of daily and spirited driving.
    2002 Audi S6 - O1E swap, Tial 770R 2.7T swap

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus View Post
    How about a long-term update to the thread?

I sold my V8 to my buddy who put it into his B5A4 so naturally the timing service was done with the motor out of the car. The Gates belt was in excellent condition. There was no weird wear or stretch to it after 70,000 miles of daily and spirited driving.
    70,000? Isn't it crucial to do the timing every 35,000?

Edit; You talking about the non-turbo 4.2V8 in the S6 I suppose? Guess that's similar, but glad to know the belt did well.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yeah, I'm talking about the 4.2 V8 in the S6.

I figured that info. would be useful if an RS6 owner was considering the belt, especially since the RS6 timing bits are done at much shorter intervals.
    2002 Audi S6 - O1E swap, Tial 770R 2.7T swap

Not looking forward to the bill 10k miles from now when the beast comes due for tbelt service (140k miles), will likely be 2 years or more down the road, so not as worried about it at the moment.

Anyone ever look into doing a kit for full engine hose replacements with something like -AN fitting braided stainless, or high-pressure multilayer stuff like I normally see from Aeroquip? Automotive industrty standards <<<< Aviation industry... More $$$ I know, but I'd like to be able to never worry about replacing another hose on the beast after doing a full overhaul around 150k miles

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I did the Gates Racing belt in the RS6 almost 3yrs ago and it still looks like new (just inspected it two weeks ago), but as Dhall said, it is rare nowadays to hear of a Audi timing belt (Conit?) go but not unheard of to hear of a Waterpump, roller, or tensioner pulley to go.
    I also just put a Gates Racing belt (exact same as the RS6 belt) in my girlfriends '05 A8 a few weeks ago. With the A8 their are a couple of lugs on the Cam housing that the belt needs to squeeze between and the Cam pulley that are tighter than the RS6 and the Gates belt just made it but it is definitely a little thicker than the OEM belt.
    Roy, WA

Has anyone actually experienced a timing belt failure on the RS6? If so, what was the situation? I am looking at number of miles, type of damage to belt, etc. Mine is about to get its second replacement, but I am wondering what the margin is? Mine will be done ahead of schedule (75000, while first was done at 43000 and prior to my ownership of the car) but what is the real world endurance of this part? I must admit to always looking down at belt driven timing, having owned several BMWs (2 4.4s and one 5.4) and 3 Cadillac 4.6's, so I really don't understand what I have gotten myself into here. I wish it were easier to disassemble to inspect, but I can't see that working out on a more than annual basis, which for me should be around 5-6000 miles.