Thread: Weird sound & smoke for a split second, then everything normal?

Post Weird sound & smoke for a split second, then everything normal?

Started the car this evening and blipped the throttle shortly (15sec) after startup, just as my friend was opening the hood. We heard a terrible screeching sound for a split second and some white smoke came from the front/drivers side of the engine bay. I immediately shut the car off and my friend put his hands in the air with an "I didn't do anything!" look on his face.

I opened the hood and found... nothing. Barely any smell, maybe the slightest hint of plastic, but definitely not oil or coolant. Started the car again a minute later and it purred like a kitten. I have no clue what happened, but it freaked me out.

Is it possible there is a hood-latch mechanism or switch that may have been interfered with? Perhaps an A/C belt slipped as it was kicking on while the engine was being revved? I only blipped it up to 4000rpm so he could hear the exhaust, it was not abusive in any way. The only other thought is that perhaps the turbo was oil starved for a split second, but I had just driven the car home 10 mins prior to this happening so everything was definitely warmed up. I did just have a the steering rack replaced under warranty so perhaps it was power steering related.

Any ideas?

Muffler bearing?
    2013 Audi S8

Obviously there was a blinker fluid overflow that spilled onto the external centrifugal calibrator. This has to be the cause.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Check your PS fluid level, maybe that's the screetch....white smoke, it happened on mine a couple of times, small oil leak at turbo that burned off and didn't return.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Usually comes down to the Flux Capicitor in these cases. Well, in truth, there is the Alternator and Power Steering pump on the left lower side of the engine. Maybe somehow one of them locked up for a moment. Could be a fluke but don't be surprised if something happens again, only more permanently next time.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

It was most likely a small critter trying to make a nest in your engine bay and the puff of smoke was the cartoon like puff you see when the critter ran away!