Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EBC Redstuff vs OEM Rotors..

EBC Redstuff vs OEM Rotors..

Car is in again for a warped tranny pan and leak.. 3rd time lucky. instead of another gasket and flush they are replacing the warped pan that came with the rebuilt ZF..
    However, a curious thing.. I asked my SA to check the brake wear.. I had new rotors and EBC's put on 15k miles ago and he reports that the pads still have 90% but the rotors are starting to show hotspots.. meaning they are wearing much faster than with the oem pads..
    This isnt a shock since the EBC's are much harder compound, but I was curious as to if anyone else has seen this as well?

This is happening because the EBC compound isn't hard enough, thus the pads are melting down and transferring too much material to the rotor. I've recently become a Hawk distributor, and can sell Hawk pads for about the same price as the EBC's. I just received some samples yesterday to test out in my car, stay tuned for impressions and pricing.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    This is happening because the EBC compound isn't hard enough, thus the pads are melting down and transferring too much material to the rotor. I've recently become a Hawk distributor, and can sell Hawk pads for about the same price as the EBC's. I just received some samples yesterday to test out in my car, stay tuned for impressions and pricing.
    Standing by...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

'nother stand by here....

Red 5 standing by...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Really? The EBC Red compound isn't hard enough?

Would seem to me they are plenty hard if after 15K miles there is 90% of the pad left....
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

I just installed Reds with new OEM rotors, but it will probably be 2-3 years 'til I see 15K miles. However, I'll keep this thread in mind for when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post
    I just installed Reds with new OEM rotors, but it will probably be 2-3 years 'til I see 15K miles. However, I'll keep this thread in mind for when the time comes.
    I just put my brake pads in a time capsule. We'll see how the dung beetles and atmospheric nitric oxides have affected them in 2112.

Pat, can I get that deal yesterday? I know I like Hawk pads a lot from my superbike days. Standing by for dealio in my PM box.

I have hot spots on my fronts, even after resurfacing (JHM Rotors..) rears seem ok. Still trying to source high speed vibration issue. Could be pad transfer problem, not sure.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I got almost 30K out of a set of EBC Reds and the rotors had about 5K on them when I put the Reds in. I do have the Phaeton brake cooling ducts though and after a hard run I never stop the car without trying to drive easily for a few miles without touching the brakes so the pads don't come to rest on hot rotors. I'm using the Yellow's now and they do stop better than the Reds, have a higher temp tolerance, but do occaisonally throw a squeak out there when coming to a stop (not fully broken in yet) and they do dust a little more than the Reds but not as bad as OEM. I did have good luck with Hawk's on my old S6 although the HPS's squeaked a little too.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    Car is in again for a warped tranny pan and leak.. 3rd time lucky. instead of another gasket and flush they are replacing the warped pan that came with the rebuilt ZF..
    However, a curious thing.. I asked my SA to check the brake wear.. I had new rotors and EBC's put on 15k miles ago and he reports that the pads still have 90% but the rotors are starting to show hotspots.. meaning they are wearing much faster than with the oem pads..
    This isnt a shock since the EBC's are much harder compound, but I was curious as to if anyone else has seen this as well?
    Same here. Brand new rotors and EBC Reds 17k miles ago and under normal street driving, the rotors have become warped. Getting a decent amount of vibration with light braking. The EBC pads seem to be of a harder compound than OEM which explains both the elevated rotor wear, and the reduction in brake dust from stock. Like they say, nothin's free. Even so, still won't buy those OEM pads again!
    2003 Audi RS6- Pearl Black Effect
    Eurocharged ECU/MTM TCU, Hyperboost DV, RSN-E/BT/XM, K&N, EBC-RED

Hmmmm, might have to go turn mine next week...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

hmmm....
    Maybe having to deal with the 600 miles of squealing Frozen OEM rotors could possibly be worth it...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yeah yeah. I said I'd get the next set done. Sheesh!

Remember guys, EBC recommends easy driving for the first 150~200 miles before doing a more aggessive break-in procedure. From the sounds of what some people have posted about their break-in on the list, they have been doing an aggressive break-in right off the bat rather than letting them seat a little first and get that EBC break-in coating worn off normally and without a lot of heat.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    ...than letting them seat a little first and get that EBC break-in coating worn off normally and without a lot of heat.
    I did that - check
    Then about 75-100 miles later, they were squealing something FIERCE!!!

OK someone please help me understand. EBC red pads are harder material than OEM pads, last longer than oem pads but degrade the( expensive) rotors faster than oem pads. So even if the ebc reds are stronger and last longer than oem pads , what is benefit of repalcing OEM w/ ebc red if the ebc reds wear the rotors faster. The rotors cost way more than the pads, so why not just keep replacing with OEM pads and save your rotors??? Also V8 weight any insight on the hawk pads???TIA - Nistah
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Point. But whatever pad you choose, DO NOT Choose OEM. The pins will destroy your rotors anyway. I chose EBCs primarily for lower dust. Fair tradeoff for me. But I think they caused my rotors to warp when bedding them in. I fixed the problem I think by turning them. I still get a slight vibration at high speed that I cant quite source..
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."