Thread: While the engine is out...

While the engine is out...

I'm having some relatively major surgery performed on the car over the next month or so and while I have the engine and transmission out I was wondering what other items you guys do?

Here's my (very) short list so far....

1.) Plugs
    2.) O2 sensors

The car as 95K on it and the timing belt was just done at 82K so I don't feel like that's a big issue to address at this point.

Thanks,

Erik

First of all, what is the reason the engine is coming out?

EGT sensors
    VC gaskets
    oring seals on coolant pipe

Thats all I can think of right now.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Torque converter?
    2013 Audi S8

C H A N G E. E V E R Y. S E A L.

Valve cover gasket.
    Seals on cam shaft
    Oil filter housing seal
    Head gaskets
    Etc

Replace all vacuum lines.

Replace thermostat

Replace engine mounts

Oxygen sensors

Temperature sensors

Make certain oil drain plug is tightened and has new seal

Timing belt service

Just a short list!!

My VC gasket started leaking just after TC replacement. 104000 miles.
    All above new parts covered for 12 months/ 12,000 miles.

I wish I stuck to my guns and had all seals replaced. A couple thousand bucks would have saved a lot of grief.

Mike

Let's see, ps pump. You can either buy a reman for a few hundred or rebuild it for about 50.
    Alternator, if it is original.
    Intercoolers, ic hoses and t-bolt clamps.
    Injector o-rings.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Engine is coming out for a 6 speed conversion. Thanks to SteveKen and Matt at RavenMS, this has become a realistic alternative when the tranny goes south, which mine has. It's still not exactly an "out of the box" conversion and I don't know the exact route I'm taking, but I'm getting pretty close. There are still some hurdles to overcome, but I'm hoping it's something that can be done by anyone and in the same price range as a ZF rebuild. There are obviously some risks with the 01E tranny, but nothing I consider worse than the ZF. Should be an interesting experiment! Thanks for the input on the rebuild items. I'm figuring that I'll have a couple thousand extra in things I'll do at the same time as the swap. Should make for a pretty enjoyable spring distraction.

What a project. And i'm only 200 miles north or you. Very interested to see how this turns out, and I want to see it! When do you anticipate starting the work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonman View Post
    Engine is coming out for a 6 speed conversion. Thanks to SteveKen and Matt at RavenMS, this has become a realistic alternative when the tranny goes south, which mine has. It's still not exactly an "out of the box" conversion and I don't know the exact route I'm taking, but I'm getting pretty close. There are still some hurdles to overcome, but I'm hoping it's something that can be done by anyone and in the same price range as a ZF rebuild. There are obviously some risks with the 01E tranny, but nothing I consider worse than the ZF. Should be an interesting experiment! Thanks for the input on the rebuild items. I'm figuring that I'll have a couple thousand extra in things I'll do at the same time as the swap. Should make for a pretty enjoyable spring distraction.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    C H A N G E. E V E R Y. S E A L.

Valve cover gasket.
    Seals on cam shaft
    Oil filter housing seal
    Head gaskets
    Etc

Replace all vacuum lines.

Replace thermostat

Replace engine mounts

Oxygen sensors

Temperature sensors

Make certain oil drain plug is tightened and has new seal

Timing belt service

Just a short list!!

My VC gasket started leaking just after TC replacement. 104000 miles.
    All above new parts covered for 12 months/ 12,000 miles.

I wish I stuck to my guns and had all seals replaced. A couple thousand bucks would have saved a lot of grief.

Mike

LMAO! I am on the same mileage/schedule and needed repairs as you!

I wish I would have done the VC gaskets, passenger side bank is gettin wet, I got most of the other stuff though!

And good luck to the OP on his endeavors!